Any Hiromi fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Any Hiromi fans?

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 am

Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the amazing jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara, and her band Hiromi's Sonic Bloom. I'm a very recent fan, only discovering her music in September. As luck would have it, she was playing her only US gig just 10 minutes from my house this past Friday. Simply an astonishing performer, easily the most passionate keyboardist I've ever seen. Even during the most diffcult passages, she had this huge smile on her face as if she were having the greatest time in her life. She was full of fire and energy the whole night. At 27, she already has 4 albums and a very bright future. She's from Japan, but met a couple of her bandmates while attending Berkley College of Music around 1999 or so. It's very intense fusion and prog inspired jazz. She's quite the virtuoso, and her band are great players as well. Go to Youtube and just look up Hiromi, and there a ton of performance videos. Don't let the wild hair or good looks fool you, she is the real deal! I have not been so blown away by a perofrmer or their music in many, many years. She's back in the US in April, playing several nights at the Blue Note in NYC. I posted a review of Friday's show on Progressiveears.com. If anyone wants, I can post it here as well.
And now for something completly different

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 pm

Hey, she is pretty incredible. I have never heard of her.......Thanks a lot(I say in a sarcastic tone as I dish out more money for music :))

Thanks for the links!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 am

Yes, she is. I don't know why I didn't post the links on my original post. I never heard of her until a few months ago, now she's one of my favorite keyboardists.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:52 am

ok! I'm hooked. Been watching the you tube videos for over an hour. She out did C.C. on his own piece! Her solo stuff is great, the trio is incredible, esp. the drummer.And is that Greg Howe on guitar on the SonicBloom stuff? Never seen anything quite like it-amazing!!!!,and such passion,and not bad looking either.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:56 am

She's got you're NORD Fred sitting up there, why doesn't she ever play it?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:08 am

Nevermind,she does, and thats David F. from the screaming headless Torsos on guitar. INCREDIBLE BAND!!!!!
Last edited by yeshead 777 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:20 am

OK-I ordered Time Control! Are you happy now yanks and Elric?(HEHE)That Dave "Fuze" whatever his name is , is incredible-plays great with her. But you can keep the camera on her! I wonder-are all of thise videos on YOU TUBE from an official release?

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:11 am

She doesn't have a DVD just yet, can't imagine why. She's just as great in person, her show last month just blew my mind. I was sitting right in front of David F., about 3 rows back. He's a monster guitarist, and I love that double neck job he plays. But yeah, I would rather have been that close the lovely Hiromi. She plays up the whole glamor bit, but easily backs it up with some of the most passionate and exciting playing. I'm very happy to get such a reaction to these clips. I'm trying to do my small part in promoting her music, like I already do with Glass Hammer.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 pm

yanks07 wrote:She doesn't have a DVD just yet, can't imagine why. She's just as great in person, her show last month just blew my mind. I was sitting right in front of David F., about 3 rows back. He's a monster guitarist, and I love that double neck job he plays. But yeah, I would rather have been that close the lovely Hiromi. She plays up the whole glamor bit, but easily backs it up with some of the most passionate and exciting playing. I'm very happy to get such a reaction to these clips. I'm trying to do my small part in promoting her music, like I already do with Glass Hammer.
What CD's do you have, and which is best? I liked her solo stuff,trio, and the stuff with Fuze. All four are incredible players-But she is a sight to behold-in more ways than one!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:23 am

Ok-after watching over an hour of this amazing musician and her band, I'm convinced its all CGI, or its some, if not the most incredible music I've seen played live in my life. Fred and Steve-you MUST watch the "Kung-Fu World Champion" and Return of the KFWC videos fer sure-she wears the nord out, and the bassist and her get in a groove I've seen nothing like before. May not be everyone's cup of tea. But this PHENOM and the whole band are the real deal!Check out Dancando No Paraiso,Deep into the night,XYC, and all the songs with the word TIME in them.Incredible stuff!Thanks alot Yanks!!!!!BeWare-you might spotaneously combust while watching and listening!!!!!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 pm

No CGI at all, she really is that cute! Oh, you mean the playing? That is real too! Trust me, Hiromi and her band kick major butt live. And her passion and overall exuberance? She was like that the whole night. It's as if she having the greatest time in her life. And it does not matter how difficult or insane the part she is playing.

By the way, I only have Time Control, in fact it's a copy burned for me by Shadow (Ed from PE). I will buy the real thing soon, along with at least one or two of her earlier albums, maybe this week. Check out the track "Deep Into the Night", it has one of the more gorgeous piano melodies I've heard in years. She's much more than just flashy chops.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 pm

"Deep into the night" is oneof my favs, but like so many of her songs she goes from beautiful piano melodies to frenetic jamming in a heartbeat. I bet it was hard to concentrate on her, with you sitting right in front of FUZE-He's incredible., But then it probably wasn't too hard. I love how she is constantly communicating with the other players while totally digging the music with her whole body-esp. when she's standing up. what do you think or her synth stuff on the nord? I love when she's playing both at the same time, and switching back at incredible speed.Can't wait to get the CD, but its hard to imagine it carries the same intensity that seeing her live does.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 am

Ok-I am TOTALLY obsessed at this point. Just watched all of her videos on youtube-over 2hrs. most of which is grade A quality. I actually think some of the trio stuff like Kung Fu Champion and Return of Kung Fu Champion are better than the stuff with Fuze.Just completely mindblowing, and it never gets repititious or montonous to me. If you are a FUSION head at all-you will go nuts. And I'll put the drummer up there with Weckl,Colauita,even Steve Smith. Ane the bass player is note for note as good as John Pattitucci.JUST INCREDIBLE!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:14 pm

As to her synth work, it will never make you forget her piano playing. I think in time she will excel just as well on synths. Remember, she's not even 30, not for a couple years. From what I understand, she's only added different keyboards in the past couple years, so she's still growing as a musician. Of course she has a major head start on most human beings. By the way, if you don't mind some traveling, Hiromi and her band will be in NYC at the Blue Note in April. Might be worth a short vacation to the big apple. For me it's a 90 minute drive.