Any Hiromi fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16 pm

By the way, if you don't mind some traveling, Hiromi and her band will be in NYC at the Blue Note in April. Might be worth a short vacation to the big apple. For me it's a 90 minute drive.[/quote]

Sorry, not an option for me,maybe they'll film it for DVD.And BTW,did I tell you "YOu Suck" for getting to see her twice, and turning me on to yet another money pit(HAHA). Can't wait to get the CD. I think I'll watch her for another 2 hrs, on YouTube tonight.I'm obsessed thanks to you Yanks-LOL. The thing that is scary is that the other 3 musicians are of equal quality. Reminds me of CC's Elekric Band-exceptChic never looked like Hiromi!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:46 pm

I may be a big fan of CC, but yeah, Chick is not that pretty, LOL! :lol: You know, with my very unhealthy love of asian women (yeah, I admit it), and equally unhealthy obsession over great keyboard work, it's really a scary combination. Also, I've been enjoying a lot more jazz of late. Hiromi is a nice crossover artist for me, going from pure fusion to traditional jazz. Some of her technique is compared a bit to the legendary Art Tatum, someone's music I always wanted to explore more of.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am

yanks07 wrote:I may be a big fan of CC, but yeah, Chick is not that pretty, LOL! :lol: You know, with my very unhealthy love of asian women (yeah, I admit it), and equally unhealthy obsession over great keyboard work, it's really a scary combination. Also, I've been enjoying a lot more jazz of late. Hiromi is a nice crossover artist for me, going from pure fusion to traditional jazz. Some of her technique is compared a bit to the legendary Art Tatum, someone's music I always wanted to explore more of.
I have to admit three things:1)I don't know much about pianists or their technics, my tastes are limited to mostly proggers like Wakey,Emerson,Bodin,Schendel, and some jazzers like Corea,Hancock,Tom Coster,etc., so what she does stylistically is like nothing I've ever seen before.
2)I have to admit that she is attractive, but Asian women don't do ALL that for me(but I'm not blind either!).
3)The reason I can't keep my eyes off of her is her ENERGY!!!!!She is constantly grooving,moving,dancing,communicating with the other players,flirting with the audience,and performing like no other human pianist I've ever seen! Possibly the most charasmatic performer I've seen in a long time-if not ever. To even REMOTELY judge her just on her looks is doing her an INCREDIBLE injustice!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Don't worry, I'm not at all basing my enjoyment on her appearance. But I know exactly what you mean about her energy and enthusiasm. In that regard she is one of a kind. I lost count of how many times she stood up while playing, as if she just couldn't contain her emotions or enthusiasm. Simply the most passionate musician I've ever witnessed, whether it's an ugly guy or, well, you know. As to her technique, I'm no expert on that either. But do yourself a big favor and check out some Youtube clips of Art Tatum. He was a true virtuoso from the 30's throught the 50's. He was so good and so ahead of his time, he was rarely accompanied by any other musician. They simply couldn't keep up with him. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNp-ldlnf5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNAJlqn0nO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arH8pXxJ980
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Haven't had time to check those(Art Tatum's) out yet, but i went ahead and downloaded her first one off i tunes-and it is awesome! It's a great mixture of straight-ahead jazz,be-bop,funk,fusion,etc.,and she's just exciting to listen to as she is to watch (ok-probably not quite), but her diversity makes her the most enjoyable pianist to listen to, and her band is incredible-I still say the drummer ROCKS!

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:39 pm

I saw Hiromi about 2 years ago at Brecon Jazz festival.

Shockingly talented, with an astounding bass player (and probably drummer, but I was too busy picking my jaw up from the ground).

We had a couple of her albums in the office for a while. I like, but just on the wrong side of gritty for me, compared to, say, John McLaughlin or Wayne Krantz.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:16 am

You need to check out "Time Control"-one of the best fusion albums ever! Much different from her others-more of a band feel!