Steve De'Arque???

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Steve De'Arque???

Post by yanks07 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Who is this guy, and what did you do with him? :wink: Seriously though, what is the deal with the name change? To quote an old TV commercial, Inquiring minds want to know...
And now for something completly different

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Steve De'Arque???

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:24 pm

yanks07 wrote:Who is this guy, and what did you do with him? :wink: Seriously though, what is the deal with the name change? To quote an old TV commercial, Inquiring minds want to know...
Feel free to address the following PE questions....
"De'Arqe" was a left-over joke from the 80's. I played music a lot - traveling for months at time, city to city. For reasons that may or may not be obvious, it seemed a wise thing to use a different name. "DeArqe", like the 80's, was pretentious. When it seemed that GH was actually going to continue making albums, I went back to Babb - less frilly - but more honest.
Also - the true family name has been lost. I'm the son of one son who was the son of one son who was the son of one son, etc. The original Babb was Cherokee (my great-great) who was assigned the name by missionaries here in South East Tn. He ran from the law, lived in a cave, and died alone - taking the actual name to the grave with him. BTW - I have one son. We're mostly Scottish, but proud of the Cherokee too.

Also - I'm not sure its anyone's business - but since it came up - Jon sang with us because he liked the tracks. He's a decent guy and never mentioned money to me - not once.

Go get 'em !!!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:15 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote: Also - I'm not sure its anyone's business - but since it came up - Jon sang with us because he liked the tracks. He's a decent guy and never mentioned money to me - not once.
Go get 'em !!!
Steve
But, uh, I mean, you guys still paid him? Cause if you didn't, then man you guys got one AWESOME deal! :lol:

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 pm

That is what I figured about the name. It's just one of those things, taking the time out to read liner notes and finally noticing the name changed. Someone posted on PE wondering if you were the same person. Interesting story about your "great, great". I have a couple interesting things as well. My grandfather served in the Italian navy, on a WW1 submarine, no less! His future wife, my grandmother -who grew up in Manhattan at the turn of the century, was kidnapped by a Sicilian gang when she was 4. It was 1909 and they demanded ransom from her parents business, and held her for 3 weeks!

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:07 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
"De'Arqe" was a left-over joke from the 80's. I played music a lot - traveling for months at time, city to city. For reasons that may or may not be obvious, it seemed a wise thing to use a different name. "DeArqe", like the 80's, was pretentious. When it seemed that GH was actually going to continue making albums, I went back to Babb - less frilly - but more honest.
Still, when one considers the lyrical content of Glass Hammer draws so heavily from fictional literature and poetry a "pen name' is quite appropriate and definitely works in the prog rock medium without coming across as pretentious.--Well, given the prog genre is often pretentious by nature. I think it's safe to leave the "keepin' it real" to hip hop and rap artists.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm

Personally I listen to prog for it's escapism. I don't want everyday life to intrude on my music enjoyment.

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:31 pm

yanks07 wrote:Personally I listen to prog for it's escapism. I don't want everyday life to intrude ...
Listening to prog rock will keep both everyday life and everday, ordinary music a world or dimension away.
Now if there was only a way to keep it away for good.
Have to find Chronometree on vinyl so I can spin it backwards for the secret key to closing the doorway back to earth.
:D
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

wesman

Post by wesman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:17 am

hey daddy i was looking through sme of shayne's baby pictures and i found one with you and her at the computer and there's a glass hammer poster on the wall behind you.... i thought that was pretty cool so io told you ... i'l talk to you later love you lots. Fiona

I never told a soul.....chickens from hell honor from the porta-studio.

Saw David Last week and he is getting fat. I cut off all my hair.
not because dave is doing well, but I needed a liberating change of life.
I be working with the local IATSE 140 outta chatt and have been able to do some sound werks and loading work in the tiv and memorial this year.
Plus got my own bussiness going strong so far.. Steve I don't know else to get in touch with you but Fiona is now 6ft tall and driving....and I would enjoy your company some evening. For nothing else to share old war stories.

Pixel

Post by Pixel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:10 pm

"De'Arqe"
After all those years wondering...
I finally know the secret behind the name! :?