Signs of the Apocolypse

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Signs of the Apocolypse

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:00 pm

Newest sign that this is the end times-Yeshead is coming to Count Brass' defense(on many levels) on the PE thread about COA. Read his comments closely, He does make valid points, but as Steve says, He many times counteracts them with negative ones. The thing is -He is passionate about GH music like we all are-but the things most of us end up loving, for the same reasons in his opinion are bad, and even though He says He doesn't want TIS2, He mentions all the GH classics He wished this sounded more like. I think his opinion might change with time. The best thing is: The conversation "SO FAR" is all pretty civil and productive!!!I know Steve, I'm looking up for the anvil to drop too.Peace,David. And Shreddy-if someone compares you to Rabin, its not a "bad" thing!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:09 pm

It sounds like he didn't want the band to deviate at all from the 'traditional" GH sound. My fan credentials are as solid as anyones, but I welcomed the sound changes present on COA with open arms. While a sequel to Lex Rex or Shadowlands certainly wouldn't be problem for me, I'm even happier to see a new sound embraced. He seems to think GH is not fully adjusted to the new sound, yet to me the music comes across as natural, like it's been the style for ages. Due to the many details in the review, he must have listened many times. I'm not so sure more spins will help. Can't please everyone I guess.
And now for something completly different

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:39 pm

yanks07 wrote:It sounds like he didn't want the band to deviate at all from the 'traditional" GH sound. My fan credentials are as solid as anyones, but I welcomed the sound changes present on COA with open arms. While a sequel to Lex Rex or Shadowlands certainly wouldn't be problem for me, I'm even happier to see a new sound embraced. He seems to think GH is not fully adjusted to the new sound, yet to me the music comes across as natural, like it's been the style for ages. Due to the many details in the review, he must have listened many times. I'm not so sure more spins will help. Can't please everyone I guess.
If we tried to please everyone we'd fail, and the music would hardly be worth hearing. We're very happy with the outcome and hope that most of our fans and friends will be too.
:)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry he doesn't like it so much but the bottom line is that it looks like he will be a minority- there are going to be a LOT more people that really like it a lot, and largely because of the "loud and screechy" parts. But he's being perfectly civil about his opinion from what I saw and he's entitled to it. At the end of the day we make the album we feel like making at the time though.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Yeah, I'm sorry he doesn't like it so much but the bottom line is that it looks like he will be a minority- there are going to be a LOT more people that really like it a lot, and largely because of the "loud and screechy" parts. But he's being perfectly civil about his opinion from what I saw and he's entitled to it. At the end of the day we make the album we feel like making at the time though.
I am genuinely impressed with Brass' comments overall-compared to some He has made. And He is being mostly CIVIL about it. I couldn't agree with Yanks more about GH FULLY embracing this "new" sound. And the funny thing about it is, the more I listen, the more it isn't really a new sound, but a revamped and revitalized sound. And one thing that Brass totally missed was how the whole feel, vibe, and sound of the album perfectly fits its lyrical content and title.IMO none of it is forced or tentative, its prefectly natural.And you're right Fred, He is very much the minority, in fact its one of the best reviewed albums of this year out of the gate-better than Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Flower Kings(all of which do not meet many of their fans particular needs). And so far everyone is actually staying on topic-the album!Check out the FK thread-its ridiculous how far off track they've gotten. And I can honestly say(and I am a HUGE FK fan-ask Elric), that COA out does "The Sum of No Evil"-and its a really solid release-its just not adventerous and innovative like COA is.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:55 pm

yeshead 777 wrote: And one thing that Brass totally missed was how the whole feel, vibe, and sound of the album perfectly fits its lyrical content and title.IMO none of it is forced or tentative, its prefectly natural.And you're right Fred, He is very much the minority, in fact its one of the best reviewed albums of this year out of the gate-better than Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Flower Kings(all of which do not meet many of their fans particular needs).
I seriously can't agree more.

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:34 pm

Is there a "traditional" GH sound? I may need more back catalog.

But I agree about the revitalization part. I put it as "new compositional tools in the box". There is nothing more "traditional GH" - whatever that is - than when the vocal enters following the power trio/crazed bat intro to "Ember". Even considering the lyrics and melody are Carls! The intros may not be instantly recognizable as GH music, the pieces as a whole are.

And if there has been a more coherent, flowing, developing 20 minutes of music than "Into Thin Air" released this year, I've yet to hear it. Had my first "goosebumps" moment this past week when Carl came in with the "Higher, than we dream" section.

Must play this piece when I drive back over Raton Pass to Colorado next summer!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:03 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:
He is very much the minority, in fact its one of the best reviewed albums of this year out of the gate-better than Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater
I don't know, the fan reaction to the new DT was pretty strong, and the reviews were mostly excellent and accurate. I still might rank COA above it in terms of album of the year, which is saying something since DT is my favorite band. Right now it's a toss up between COA and "Time Control" by Hiromi's Sonic Bloom.
And now for something completly different