Hammerhead

Oh dear...

Post by Rumpska » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm

[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:19 am

Pretty exciting!!!! We should be getting the third narnia around that time also!
The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

above-from The Hobbit movie blog.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 am

A sequel to The Hobbit.... that's just plain dumb. I thought he was just breaking The Hobbit up into 2 parts, and that's less dumb, but blah.... stupid PJ.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:58 pm

Not just dumb, it's retarded. The Hobbit is NOT and never will be the epic that LotR is - if he tries to make it such, he is just going to look like an idiot. The only way making a prequel to LotR can be less anticlimactic than it already is is to just treat it like what it is. Lightly and simply. Not in two parts.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Not just dumb, it's retarded. The Hobbit is NOT and never will be the epic that LotR is - if he tries to make it such, he is just going to look like an idiot. The only way making a prequel to LotR can be less anticlimactic than it already is is to just treat it like what it is. Lightly and simply. Not in two parts.
I've come to view the whole P.J. movie thing as completely separate from Tolkien - LOTRs and The Hobbit. P.J. gets close enough for me that I truly enjoy his films. Go back and read the books and you'll quickly realize how far off the movies are from the literature.
So if you're to enjoy the films at all, you just need to see them as unrelated. At least you can enjoy the scenery, music and imagery of M.E. - though it appears as through a glass darkly :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Well, here's my thinking.

Tolkien was just getting into the process of writing when he began The Hobbit. Even over the course of the book it evolves from an innocuous children's tale to having the tone and weight that LOTR would further develop. The Hobbit and its world had no context for the reader on publication but Tolkien knew even then that it was setting the stage for the greater story of LOTR. Well in the movie world LOTR has come first. The Hobbit has its context in the greater story of Middle-earth already clearly established and there's no reason not to take advantage of it. Middle-earth history, through the LOTR appendices, Silmarillion and Lost Tales, is so rich and detailed that no event occurs in a vacuum and I think that filming The Hobbit with the benefit of such hindsight, IF DONE WELL, can provide a terrific experience for the fan to see the dramatization of events heretofore only hinted at in the printed canon (that primarily being the expulsion of the Shadow from Mirkwood by the Istari).
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Never read any of the Tolkein books, I likely never will. But I adore the LOTR films. I say bring on more of this stuff, whether it's 2 Hobbit movies, the Silmarillion, whatever. If PJ is heavily involved, I know it should be really good. If you want the books, read them. I never understood the book to movie comparisons for anything. Books make great sorce material for movies. And at the same time, movies don't replace books, they are much different animals. You will never hear me say "The book was better". I'd much prefer to compare a movie to another movie.
And now for something completly different

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:43 pm

My problem isn't having a Hobbit movie, or taking poetic license with the story - I'm not a purist who is still scandalized that they left out Bombadil. As long as he gets the spirit of the book, it's ok. But my problem is making it an epic two-movie thing. That's not what the Hobbit is. If he tries to do that, he's going to fail. That is far out of line with the spirit of the work that Tolkien created, and frankly I don't know if the story really allows for that. It seems to me like it would just end up as kind of a sad attempt to make another almost full-blown copycat of LotR instead of just letting the Hobbit speak for itself.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:48 am

Just wandered what ya'll's feelings were about the first Narnia movie, and what is to come. I was well pleased with TLTWATW because it not only had the overall purpose and tone of the book, but kept alot of the details that meant alot to me. I personally could never get into the Tolkien books, but I love the movies, and they made me apprecciate the original stories more. But I grew up with loving Narnia, and recently read through them again, so I am eagerly awaiting to see if the others can live up to the first. What do you think?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:36 pm

I grew up reading Narnia and watching the old BBC versions where my sister and I were always wondering why that boy Lucy was wearing a skirt. Years later, we learned that Lucy was in fact a FEMALE. (lol) So any improvement over the BBC and those irritating, irritating beavers is great to me - I loved the first one, and am excited for the rest!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:53 pm

I thought LWW was very well done. The trailer for Prince Caspian looks very promising. My only criticism is that the battle scene was a little unrealistic in that there was absolutely no blood where perhaps just a little would have been more realistic and yet not too much for the younger audience. It was the same way in the recent adaptation of the Golden Compass during the polar bear battle.

In regards to the Hobbit, my wife and I are actually re-reading the novel together now since it's been years for both of us. We've just begun and the beginning is certainly on a lighter note than LoTR or Silmarillion but I seem to recall the Battle of Five Armies being rather epic, but perhaps my memory of those scenes makes it more epic than it actually is. We'll see when we get there. Anyhow, I'm excited for a film version of the Hobbit. Word is Sam Raimi will direct the first installment and I think that he is a good choice. If nothing else, I'll enjoy watching Ian McKellan portray Gandalf.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis