ONCE

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

ONCE

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:57 am

You really must check this film out on DVD.
www.rottentomatoes.com
I know critics are not usually right-esp. a 98% rating on rotten tomatoes is unheard of. But IMHO this is a one of a kind amazing movie. EVERY musician should see it! Check it out and let me know what you think!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: ONCE

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:You really must check this film out on DVD.
www.rottentomatoes.com
I know critics are not usually right-esp. a 98% rating on rotten tomatoes is unheard of. But IMHO this is a one of a kind amazing movie. EVERY musician should see it! Check it out and let me know what you think!
I checked out the trailer and this is how a modern musical should be presented.
We saw Sweeney Todd last night and there were moments of sheer cringing. Some of the music was cool, all of the lyrics rocked. Of course the story, acting and look of the movie rocked as did Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter. She'll win an Oscar and the movie is sure to win a few. But still - the cringing - limited only to some of the music and melodies I'll confess - but the music in a musical ought to be the star - not the director and his excellent cast. It was too reminiscent of 60's musicals - Rogers and Hammerstein. You get the point?
Still - I'd say everyone should see it. **** out of *****.
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:31 pm

This film is the TOTAL polar opposite of what I imagine "Sweeney Todd" would be like. Personally, I'd rather have my eyes poked out with a red-hot poker than hear Johnny Depp sing! But that's another story! This is an extremely low-budget(reportedly 100,000)Irish Indie film made by a director who is a former musician who played in a band with the principal character. The actors are musicians, not actors, and it plays more like a home movie/documtary about two strangers coming together and writing music and recording it in a studio, all in a weeks time with a slight romantic angle to it. The music is singer-songwriter type, but with an edge,and surprisingly good lyrics also. Just a very genuine and unique piece of art(IMHO). There is a scene early on in the local music store where the male character teaches his song to his female friend-He plays guitar and sings, she plays piano and sings, and the song unfolds before you're eyes. It's really kinda magical and touching, Steve-you and Julie need to rent it and watch it late at night when J.M.'s asleep. I really think she, and the female members of GH will like it -fer sure. It's kind of a guy's indie chick flic-does that make sense?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: ONCE

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:33 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
but the music in a musical ought to be the star - not the director and his excellent cast.
In an interview the lead actor explained that the movie is about 60% music, so that pretty much took care of itself. The other 40% is the unique documentary style filmmaking, and the great,believable characters themselves-not the megastars guarantereed millions before the film is even shot!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:35 pm

Okay, I had to watch it again before I have to take it back tomorrow. It seemed a little bit more of a chick flick the second time-if you're chick doesn't mind hearing the f-bomb several times. Really this was unnecessary for the most part-cause its a really sweet movie. I liked the music much more even the second time.It really is more of a personal documentary than an acted story, and the chemistry between the two leads is incredible. This will be a must buy for me. Might even have to get the soundtrack, if nothing else to hear the female lead's song "The Hill" in its entirety. She has a very unique and engaging voice. This one ranks up there close with "Almost Famous"(IMO).Chief complaint-its way too short at 86min., but its a simple story,so I can see the point of making it short and sweet and to the point.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Ok-a first for me, watched it a third time(with surround sound)before taking it back. Somebody else needs to see this fast,(c'mon Elric)so I'm not alone on this one!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:51 pm

My sister in Memphis went right out and rented it after she got my voice message, so in an hour or so we'll have two opinions. But I pretty much know what its gonna be-she's the one I sent COA, and she feel in love with GH-enough to where she wants "REST" played or sung at her funeral-SERIOUSLY! Anyway, I'll let you know her verdict.