Logo

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Logo

Post by Alatar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:12 am

I did this Glass Hammer logo in crayon, which as it turns out doesn't scan so well onto a computer, and then later did a little simple editing with Microsoft Paint . I thought I'd put it up though, because in spite of the poor execution there is still enough here to show what I was trying to do with this.

So can anyone tell why I might have thought the following logo for Glass Hammer was clever?

Last edited by Alatar on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:21 pm

It has symmetry by rotation :)

Now do one which is an optical fugue... ;)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 pm

That's cool!!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Very nice! I like it a lot- only problem is the two m's don't quite come out looking like M's... it kind of says Glass Hasser :p :D But I'm amazed you got it to work so well with the inverted image.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the comments above. This style of graphic art is known as an ambigram. Its best known proponent is John Langdon, and some of his stuff is really amazing. There is an introductory page on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambigram , but to get to the really cool stuff you have to go to the external links. The most famous ambigram band logo is for Angel, which you can see on their fan website: http://www.angelrocks.com/intro.html

On the specific design here, which I have since tweaked a little, and given a black outline for clarity, the main design priority is that the word should be immediately recognisable, which I hope this is. Fred's point about the m's looking too much like s's I agree with. I could probably stand to rotate them by about 10 degrees, or failing that to be a little more extravagant with the s tails. I also didn't put the top of the g and the l close enough together to get the r to really stand out.

Anyway, I thought it was a bit of fun, and I thought I'd like to share it. Anybody want to try for the word Perelandra?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:45 pm

If you can nail those SS into Ms, I think you've got a bona fide new logo. I'd wear it! :)

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am

Ooh, I've tried these before! I did one of the word "visual" that was pretty neat!

Cool! :D