Monte Montgomery

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Monte Montgomery

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:11 am

This guy is an amazing accoustic guitarist from Austin,TX. who is playing Riverbend here in Chattanooga Wed.,June 11th. His videos on youtube are amazing esp. "Little Wing" and a song that he does with the California guitar trio. Now, I remember the name from him doing some shows with them. He's got a decent voice, and is a good songwriter too, but definetely has a playing style all his own, and can make the acc. guitar sound electric! Check out his version of Hendrix's "Little Wing" on youtube.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 am

I've watched his videos all weekend. He definetely isn't the cleanest guitarist around and he makes lots of mistakes, but He is doing stuff with an old beat up guitar you'd expect to see at a garage sale for 2 or 3 bucks. At times He is doing stuff and making sounds I've never heard out of an accoustic guitar !!!!!You've got to check him out!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:17 am

Ok- I am totally drained and awe-struck for the experience of seeing two of the world's most incredible underrated guitarists at Riverbend last night. First, Joe Bonamassa-whom I hadn 't even planned on seeing until I watched him on You Tube. Imagine a faster and harder rock version of SRV and you've got him!!!!He opened for B.B.King at the age of 12, had his own band at 16, now He's like 30 or 31 and already been touring for 20yrs!I was up against the speaker cabinets in front of the stage on which he came out and stood on and played-in the pouring rain-no less!!!Is that dangerous????He said if we had to get wet, He would too! Incredible band, incredible player. Last song was a ZZ Top medley, the encore was a cover that I recognized, but don't know the name,then He went into some chords at a slow tempo-that sounded strangely familiar-it was Wurm from Starship Trooper-and He ROCKED!!!!!!!!Then I made my way down to another stage and met Brent and Rob for Monte Montgomery. As I told him after the show-His stuff on Youtube even doesn't do him justice-It was an incredible thing to watch. And Brent and I had to rush the stage on that one too! What an incredible night-TWO totally different guitar styles-both incredibly talented and unique! What a great night-To quote Russell Hammond in "Almost Famous"-"I dig music"!!!!!!!!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:23 am

There are two versions of JB playing wurm on youtube-check em out!Still not as good or as long as last night!