GH & Yes / Culture of Ascent Comparison

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Kadlar

GH & Yes / Culture of Ascent Comparison

Post by Kadlar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 am

Greetings! New to the forum and a relatively new fan of GH. However I have been a fan of Yes for over 30 years. This is how I discovered GH when I heard about Jon Anderson's collaberation with them. So I checked out 'Culture of Ascent' and was extremely impressed! I didn't know prog like this was still being made.

In any event I felt inclined to post a review of the album on the YES
fan site 'Notes From the Edge'. I did so for two reasons: To help give Yes fans the word about GH if they don't already know about them, and to help Yes with their own 'issues'. (if you are Yes fans you know what I mean...)

If you are interested in reading my post there go to 'Notes From the Edge' current issue #306 and then scroll down to 'Dialogue' to Jon Anderson & GH / South Side of the Sky. I am interested in hearing your comments, whether you agree or disagree.

By the way - GH, thanks for some great music. Since that post was made I have acquired most all your albums. Very creative and enjoyable catalogue of music!!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks for the great review and for helping to spread the word.

As for Jon's 'world music' style - you're right. He's really not into 'rock' any longer, or wasn't at the time he worked on recording with us. He had Fred doing some arranging for him, and mostly what he wanted was world music as a bed to sing too. Although - we did record one rocker for him, and if he ever releases it - Yes fans will be happy with it.

Steve
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:09 am

Welcome, Kadlar! Very thoughtful commentary, right on the mark. I have been a serious Yes fan since Close to the Edge--that was the album that progged me for good. So I've been riding that train about 35 years. I got into Glass Hammer via internet prog radio, just about the time Chronometree was released (if you haven't looked at the liner notes... check out the album 'Tom' is looking at--the one that took him down the rabbit hole). The song Chronos Deliverer made me a Hammerhead for good.

I was immediately hooked by the keys, the bass work, and the thoughtful lyrics. My experience has been that Glass Hammer just gets better and better, so stay tuned.

Physicist
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Kadlar

Post by Kadlar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:06 am

To the Mayor of Longview:
It's my pleasure to help spread the word About GH! I suppose not all prog fans are in the dark ages like I am, and yet I'm sure there are a few.

Frankly, I have only become aware of the internet promoted prog music scene which I am finding to be a very good thing. The independence it allows helps bands such as yourselves create the music you want to make and not what some stupid record company wants. I had rather lost contact with the prog world for that very reason - what was being offered in the mainstream had gotten pretty pathetic and I lost interest. Very happy to see that there are some very talented bands (GH foremost!) that have taken the torch and are continuing to blaze the prog trail in the new century.

As regards your observations regarding Jon Anderson - you have confirmed what a lot of us have been thinking. I suppose in his defense, after nearly 40 years of making music it is OK for his tastes to change. And as we get older it just a fact of life that our rough edges are going to smooth out and we're going to get a little mellower. Still, as I wrote in my review, I do think it can be made to work as you folks proved. (Ok to call you 'folks'? Your down to earth contact with your fans has a real 'down home' feel to it!)

So, do you have any new projects (albums?) in the works, and any chance you will ever perform on the west coast (preferably calif)?
... they carry enormous energy densities that can lead to a catastrophic collapse situation ...

Kadlar

Post by Kadlar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 pm

To our resident physicist,

Thanks for the feed back. Good to know I'm not the only 'oldster' out here listening to new prog. Got my first Yes album (Going for the one) back in 77 so guess i'm at 30 years. That tour was the first time I saw them - the classic line up (hard to beat!) The last time I saw them was here in Lake County, Cal, at a relatively small outside show for the Magnification tour. Quite the interesting crowd as there were folks from 6 to 60 years old. (Some people such as yourself have been fans longer than me)

I'm gradually coming to like GH even more than Yes (hard to believe). I especially enjoy, as wrote in my post, the epic pieces, and GH has a bunch. I suppose (at least for now) that my favorite is 'Behind the Great Beyond' as I really enjoy the range of playing in it, not to mention the subject of the lyrical content.

I am also rather intrigued with the vocals of the ladies. I think it adds a dynamic that allows the music to go all over the place. And I am comong to really like the use of the violins as this also adds an extra dimension, somewhat jazzy which I like.

I'm certainly hoping there will be more of the same in whatever's next, although as you posted I would expect to expect the unexpected.
... they carry enormous energy densities that can lead to a catastrophic collapse situation ...

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Kadlar wrote:I'm gradually coming to like GH even more than Yes (hard to believe). I especially enjoy, as wrote in my post, the epic pieces, and GH has a bunch. I suppose (at least for now) that my favorite is 'Behind the Great Beyond' as I really enjoy the range of playing in it, not to mention the subject of the lyrical content.

I am also rather intrigued with the vocals of the ladies. I think it adds a dynamic that allows the music to go all over the place. And I am comong to really like the use of the violins as this also adds an extra dimension, somewhat jazzy which I like.
I find myself drifting in the same direction. If you don't have "In the Court of Alkinoos," it is a great follow-up to "Behind the Great Beyond." BTW, you picked a great sig. Just another of the things I like about Glass Hammer.

Kadlar

Post by Kadlar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 am

BTW, you picked a great sig. Just another of the things I like about Glass Hammer.

Indeed, GH has many lyrical quotable quotes. It was difficult to pick one. I'm sure it will change when my disposition does...

Hmm - might make for an interesting topic - the quote and why it was picked...

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 am

Just saw this topic today, always nice to see a long time Yes fan discover and enjoy GH. It seems a natural that diehard Yes fans would like this stuff, and it seems slowly but surely some are becoming fans. I am amazed in the internet age that some classic prog fans are not aware of the current prog scene. I also realize most people my age (40) or older just don't seek out new music. It's a foreign concept for me not to look for new music, I do it nearly every day.

Back in 1998 I saw Dream Theater open for the Deep Purple/ELP tour. Near the end of the set, I could see many ELP fans really enjoying the very proggy DT epic, Metropolis. The reaction after the set was very strong, with a lot of people saying "Who are these guys!? It seemed they were surprised seeing this kind of music being played. 10 years later I'm afraid that things have not changed all that much, a lot of these old time fans know very little of the current scene So this has me wondering if there is a way for us to reach these fans, or better, a way of convincing them this new music is worth the effort to try. I'm doing my part, having lent some cd's to friends, even dragging a co-worker to Nearfest and some other shows. I guess posting on these fansites is a good way to go, I just wish there were ways to reach these people short of bashing them in the head. Actually, if I thought that would work, I'd try that too! :shock: :lol:
And now for something completly different

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:41 pm

yanks07 wrote:Just saw this topic today, always nice to see a long time Yes fan discover and enjoy GH. It seems a natural that diehard Yes fans would like this stuff, and it seems slowly but surely some are becoming fans. I am amazed in the internet age that some classic prog fans are not aware of the current prog scene. I also realize most people my age (40) or older just don't seek out new music. It's a foreign concept for me not to look for new music, I do it nearly every day.
Agreed. I'm even further over the hill, but I never stop looking for new music. Houston is not exactly prog central, so the internet is a godsend. There is more music, and there are more ways to find it.

The only prog I've heard in Houston was two weeks ago when Ike passed through. A lot of woodwind, heavy wood and a little heavy metal...

Kadlar

Post by Kadlar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I am appreciating hearing that I’m not the only oldster out here (pushing the five-oh) and still enjoying the progressive music movement. As I commented in my previous post I had lost connection with prog music world for not knowing where to look for it. It certainly doesn’t get played on any local radio stations, not even the more subversive ones. I have come to find the progressive review sites to be a good resource in tandem with u-tube and the like. If I find a review that sounds interesting more often than not you can find sound bites of the bands in video. While the quality of many of the videos is not so good it still gives a pretty good idea if they are worth dropping a few bucks on.

It’s a bit funny how I got back in to looking for prog music. One of my daughters started dating a young fellow that said he liked Yes and of course we started talking about Yes and he told me about other bands that were more current as well. As such I have been looking into a number of other bands that have been around quite awhile and have fairly substantial catalogues that I had never heard of. It’s a shame that the exposure of these talented bands is pretty much word of mouth. ( Curiously enough, they broke up, but the young fellow and I are still trading music over the web occasionally)

All that being said, I don’t suppose prog is ever going to be anthem rock stadium fillers. It just isn’t for everyone and never will be. In fact that was probably a good part of the reason I liked it to start off with. The challenge always was to try to turn people on to prog artists one at a time, and I don’t imagine that’s ever going to change. I don’t know about any of you, but when I was younger as soon as a band broke through into general popularity with the mass market I usually lost interest in them pretty quickly. I am not sure, but it usually suggested sell-out of their musical values to garner popularity, although I’m sure there are a few notable exceptions.

As far as the one by one conversions go consider a case in point: after I posted my review on the ‘Notes From the Edge’ web site I got an e-mail from a local business associate that is also a long time Yes fan (which I didn’t know) and he wanted to know more about GH so I sent him a few tracks to hear. That’s how prog band followings ‘slowly’ grow as far as I can tell.

My opinion then is that the prog music world will always be below the surface of public view and the way it widens out is almost strictly word of mouth. And that’s not such a bad thing – it’s how my business has operated for 30 years and my clients are quite loyal and do my advertising for me. So I think it’s pretty much up to us to do the same for whatever prog bands we like.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 am

By the way, a great resource for song samples is Myspace. As useless as Myspace usually is, it's incredible for discovering new muisc, as nearly every band has a page. A lot of times Amazon will have sound samples, but not for a lot of the independent artists -it's just a song list. The problem with all this is I'm discovering maybe too much good music, I can't afford it all.

A great band for GH fans to check out? Moth Vellum. Check em out here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =181007934
And now for something completly different