No more Jon in YES?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

No more Jon in YES?

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:02 am

If the rumors are true, and they usually are- Yes will be replacing Jon Anderson with a new vocalist, Benoit David, for a winter 2008-2009 tour. There are also rumors of Jon being gone for good, and I wasn't aware that Rick and him had sold their stock in YES LLC to Steve,Chris, and Alan in 2004. Doesn't look too promising IMO, JON is YES-and always will be.You can go to www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm
for more info.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 pm

News is official up at yesworld.com. I listened to a few tracks from Benoit David's band Mystery and I like his voice. He doesn't sound exactly like an Anderson clone but I expect his voice to compliment Yes music pretty well. This might sound odd but the addition of this new voice actually makes me want to see Yes again. I last saw them with Rick in 2002 and that was a lovely tour and I remember thinking if I never saw them again then that show would be a nice way to remember the live band. JA has some rather serious respiratory problems and may not be able to tour again, ever. This new edition could be interesting! I am old enough to have seen Yes play with Trevor Horn on the Drama tour and that show was fantastic, so I can never again say no Jon no Yes, not after Drama. i would like for the band to do some new music as well. Interesting times!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Well, I have no interest in seeing them without Jon (or Rick, for that matter). I think this is a completely different thing from Drama (which I love, BTW).

Drama was esentially a new band with a new sound. They made an album to represent that, and toured on it. Trevor was integral to that band.

What they are doing is a classic bait-and-switch, and I'm not going for it (although I might be in the mino-rority ;-)

Mike
http://www.massdream.com

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:00 pm

It's true the 1980 version of Yes featured a new album and they played all that album on tour, save for Run Through the Light, but that album was 90% worked out in advance of Horn and Downes arriving by Howe, White and Squire. Some of those songs were in demo form going back to 1978, just like a couple of the songs that showed up on Anderson's Song of Seven were. See the bonus tracks on the latest version of Tormato.

It doesn't seem that we'll see new material at this time but I don't see how this tour is bait and switch at all. The band isn't advertising that Jon Anderson is performing with the band only to throw poor Benoit David as the curtain rises.

btw, do you suppose there is any chance that Benoit David is jazz pianist David Benoit in a parallel unvierse, ala The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asmiov?

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 pm

It might not be a bait and switch, but without any fresh music and two yes newcomers,it is not YES. At least on the Drama tour they had an extremely fresh and vital new album in Drama,even though they knew the had a lead singer who was ill equipped to sing Jon's parts in the older material. Now your asking 2/5th's of the band to perform the whole set of music they never had played on this scale and calling it YES and probably charging extraordinary prices. sorry-I wasn't gonna pay 150-200 bucks for the classic YES w/o Rick, but no Jon-thats pretty much the end for me. It bothers me that Chris,Steve, and Alan would let the band go out like this!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:19 pm

I'm a little surprised too that Steve, Chris and Alan want to go out, but I remember reading somewhere recently that Chris said he hoped Jon would be well enough to tour next year so perhaps this isn't the last go round, but it's gotta be getting close. Howe will probably live to be 125 and still be doing solo gigs and band gigs with his children/grandchildren in his nineties.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm thinking this is a real bad idea for Yes. If they had new material it would make more sense. Instead it comes across as a tribute band of sorts. Yes is one of my all-time favorites, but I think it's time to call it a career, it's been an amazing run.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 am

yanks07 wrote:I'm thinking this is a real bad idea for Yes. If they had new material it would make more sense. Instead it comes across as a tribute band of sorts. Yes is one of my all-time favorites, but I think it's time to call it a career, it's been an amazing run.
It is more than a tribute band-you can't call it that with Squire and Howe involved!!!And it is rumoured they will be playing such "Drama" material as Tempus Fugit and Machine Messiah, so we'll see. I might be changing my tune a little. Hopefully they won't go out on this note though!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:16 am

I wouldn't call it a tribute if they had new material. I know the whole "rule of three" thing, and this band does have 3 actual Yes members. Playing the Drama songs you mention could be interesting. But this whole thing still doesn't seem right to me for some reason. I expect them to put on a good show, they always do. It's just not likely I'll be one of the paying customers.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 pm

yanks07 wrote:I wouldn't call it a tribute if they had new material. I know the whole "rule of three" thing, and this band does have 3 actual Yes members. Playing the Drama songs you mention could be interesting. But this whole thing still doesn't seem right to me for some reason. I expect them to put on a good show, they always do. It's just not likely I'll be one of the paying customers.
Me either-esp. since I got to see the "Classic" line-up in 04 from the front row. Can't top that on a yes experience to go out on. Maybe Jon will come back one more time, but not likely for Rick so
I know exactly what you mean by "it doesn't seem right"-and esp. for those prices! We'll see.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:58 pm

I would enjoy seeing this line-up but it's hard not to say that a huge chunk of the soul of the band will be missing. If there is one single element that is integral to Yes it's Jon, and not just as a voice but a- dare I say- spiritual presence. The big thing is that they can't expect to charge hundreds of dollars per ticket for this show. That wasn't going to fly even with Jon. $40, $50, I'd think about it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:31 am

The show in Nashville-at the ryman auditorium is $100, 60, and 50- very,very pricey indeed.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Way better than the $300+ numbers that had been flying around for the tour with Jon though. For $60 and semi-decent seats I'm probably in. Unfortunately our best shot at getting backstage isn't going to be there... :P
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:The show in Nashville-at the ryman auditorium is $100, 60, and 50- very,very pricey indeed.
Whoa, what? When????
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh, sorry about that. Feel like I've just woken up, and there's no sun...shine.

It's no use, actually, with a young'un in college (same one as Bethany, assuming she's hasn't graduated yet) I can't handle those ticket prices.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.