Genesis: When In Rome DVD

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Genesis: When In Rome DVD

Post by yanks07 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:23 pm

I just picked this up last week, and have been watching it the past couple days. It made me come to the conclusion that I really blew it not seeing this tour last year. It's a great looking DVD, filmed and edited beautifully. The band, while lacking in energy (not bad considering their age) sound great, they really prepared for this tour. The visuals are amazing, especially that enormous video screen that spans the whole length of the stage.

I initially thought this tour was going to be nothing more than a money grubbing geezer tour. I then passed when I saw the near $150 price tag. Sure, ticket prices were nuts, but they really did try to give everyone their money's worth. I happen to like both the 80's era and the classic prog era of the band, but it bummed me out back in 1987 seeing them only play one 15 minute medly of early proggy material. But this tour was different. They played ALL of "In the Cage" -backed by the stunning visuals of a CG running man. This was followed by a good chunk of one of my all-time favorites, Duke's Travels, followed by "Afterglow". Later we get a second medley of Firth of Fifth / I Know What I Like, then individual songs Follow You Follow Me, Ripples, Los Endos and Carpet Crawlers. Simply shocking that they would play so much older and more proggy material, considering they also played the pop hits. I still have not watched the second disc of the concert, which also includes the traditional drum duet, and unfortunately one song I absolutely hate, "Invisible Touch". So much good stuff on here, I can't complain about a couple short songs, I can always skip them.

I did watch the documentary, which is an informative look at what goes into the planning and execution of a huge tour. There is also short clips about each song performed. All in all, a great package, for a relatively cheap price. But I still regret cheaping out and not seeing this show in person. I'm sure I wasted the money elsewhere...
And now for something completly different

Kadlar

Post by Kadlar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks for review of the DVD. It sounds well worth checking out. I am of the same notion – that to really make it worth while I would want to see a good chunk of their older material.

That being said, I wanted to comment on your ruminating about not spending $150 a ticket. I personally don’t care who is playing, I simply WILL NOT pay that kind of money for tickets. I know they’ve paid their dues, and they’re legends, and all that, but come on – are these folks not rich beyond our wildest dreams? It makes for a strong argument IMHO to be putting my money (in reasonable amounts) on upcoming talent who isn’t quite so confident that they can get away with such robbery (or in Genesis case ‘assault and battery’?).

Steve Martin (way back when, going way back here..) in one of his monologues joked about entertaining many people for a small amount of $ verses one show at $$$$$$$$$ and he retires. Sounds like more and more bands have that philosophy, but I for one ain’t buying in to it. But I digress…

BTW – I LIKE Genesis, I really do, have almost all their albums, and have seen them in concert when it was more affordable…
... they carry enormous energy densities that can lead to a catastrophic collapse situation ...

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:08 am

I agree with you for the most part. But in this case it was a very expensive show they put on. While they still can't justify the cost of tickets, this had to be priced higher than the small shows done by "upcoming" acts. I saw Nearfest for about the same amount as the Genesis show, and that is for 10 bands. NF is a big time production compared to most prog shows, but in now way compares to the spectacle bands like Genesis put on. I enjoy small, intimate concerts, but those huge productions are pretty exciting events. I paid $75.00 to see Pink Floyd in 1994, a huge price at the time, and felt it was worth every penny. Last year I paid $18.00 to see the most basic of shows by jazz virtuoso Hiromi and was blown away. I think there is a place for both types of concerts.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:04 am

I'm just an old fogey now I guess but I'd MUCH rather enjoy this show in the comfort of my own home theater for the $20 or so it's going to cost to buy the DVD than sit 500 feet away from the band crushed in with 60,000 other people essentially still watching the show on a(n admittedly cool) huge TV monitor for $150. And without the option of pausing the show to get a snack and go pee. Or my cat to pet. And on top of that, playing material I've already seen them play live in much better venues. Any concert in a hall bigger than 2,000 seats or so, count me out.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:23 pm

FredProgGH wrote:I'm just an old fogey now I guess but I'd MUCH rather enjoy this show in the comfort of my own home theater for the $20 or so it's going to cost to buy the DVD than sit 500 feet away from the band crushed in with 60,000 other people essentially still watching the show on a(n admittedly cool) huge TV monitor for $150. Any concert in a hall bigger than 2,000 seats or so, count me out.
That's kind of what happended with me. I opted out of spending $120 or so for a ticket to see them in boomy Giants stadium (where all I heard were drums the last time they were there in the 90's). But I was lucky to catch the concert film in a theatre on a big screen with excellent surround sound the day before the DVD was released. Definitely preferable!

Also, regarding the stage show, there is an extra disc (yes, I ran out and got the 3-DVD release right away after seeing it in the theater) that documents the putting together of the stage set. It's almost funny (or sad?) how notwelcome retentive they get with that stuff. The amount of time, money and agonzing over every detail that went into that. I seriously think it's more necessary for the band's ego, than the audience's enjoyment, in my opinion. But they've got the $$$ to do it, obviously, so why not I guess...
http://www.massdream.com

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 pm

I saw that doc on VH1. I couldn't believe it was that hard to get a lighting tech that couldn't just learn the music cues! We've been through the exact same sort of thing but you'd think on THAT level things would be different.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 am

Also, regarding the stage show, there is an extra disc (yes, I ran out and got the 3-DVD release right away after seeing it in the theater) that documents the putting together of the stage set. It's almost funny (or sad?) how notwelcome retentive they get with that stuff. The amount of time, money and agonzing over every detail that went into that. I seriously think it's more necessary for the band's ego, than the audience's enjoyment, in my opinion. But they've got the $$$ to do it, obviously, so why not I guess...
I'm sure ego plays a part, but I have to say, it just looked SO COOL! I'm a sucker for all those fancy lights and effects, I just love visual spectacles. The playing by Genesis was still top notch, they didn't compromise in that area. So you get them playing their butts off for "In The Cage" while we are treated to stunning visuals that actually look better a good distance from the stage. A DVD does not really do it justice. I have the Rush R30 DVD, and it looks great, but never fully captured the experience I had when I saw that tour.