A Small Shock

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

A Small Shock

Post by esteban » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:36 pm

It's getting close to Christmas, and happily I find myself involved in a performance at my place of worship. The music came yesterday and its kind of a schizo presentation: the first half is praise band oriented with popular XMas tunes and the second half is more orchestral with older carols and some Bach. I'm playing string bass.

The small shock was seeing the list of musicians involved. On electric guitar we have: David Walliman! So on two tunes perhaps, I'll be playing in a band with Shreddy.

Given the tunes and the venue, I don't imagine David will live up to his nickname and shred through the holiday music but I can say that our music director does not discourage virtuosity.

Anybody else doing Christmas performances this year?

Update: Shreddy takes the spotlight for TSO's Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 1914. It *will* rock.
Last edited by esteban on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: A Small Shock

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:16 pm

esteban wrote:It's getting close to Christmas, and happily I find myself involved in a performance at my place of worship. The music came yesterday and its kind of a schizo presentation: the first half is praise band oriented with popular XMas tunes and the second half is more orchestral with older carols and some Bach. I'm playing string bass.

The small shock was seeing the list of musicians involved. On electric guitar we have: David Walliman! So on two tunes perhaps, I'll be playing in a band with Shreddy.

Given the tunes and the venue, I don't imagine David will live up to his nickname and shred through the holiday music but I can say that our music directory does not discourage virtuosity.

Anybody else doing Christmas performances this year?
Yes, I will be performing my yearly "Happy Dance" on Christmans morning. But its invitation only, and that's usually just my wife and 6 year old :)
I just got off the phone with Shreddy. He's doing a Christmas album - Fred's working on it with him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Sounds cool. No performances by me, unless you count my singing in the car, and perhaps some carols at Church on Christmas Eve.

I'd buy a David Walliman Christmas album. But what I'd really love is one by all of Glass Hammer!
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:57 pm

My favorite contemporary version of a christmas classic is Whiteheart's "Little Drummer Boy". It really ROCKS!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Way back in 1992 I saw Dream Theater for the first time, and it was right before Christmas. They did their version of "O Holy Night", though a bit of a rocking version, as opposed to the one you can find on the internet. This was in a dive club, in front of maybe 80 people, when they were still unknown.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:22 pm

yanks07 wrote:Way back in 1992 I saw Dream Theater for the first time, and it was right before Christmas. They did their version of "O Holy Night", though a bit of a rocking version, as opposed to the one you can find on the internet. This was in a dive club, in front of maybe 80 people, when they were still unknown.
Wow! I bet that was incredible! I saw Whiteheart perform "Little drummer Boy" in July outside in Memphis years back-that was kind of ironic, but boy did it ROCK!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].