Yes(or whatever they're called)in Atlanta

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Yes(or whatever they're called)in Atlanta

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:26 am

Well, on a very impulsive whim, i bought a ticket last minute on-line, and went to the show at the Tabernacle in Atlanta last night-and I am sooooo glad I did.I had very mixed feelings about his tour prior to actually seeing a show. Yes, to me has always been Jon Anderson. Rick's been gone so many times, as irraplaceable as He might be, its such a common thing. I never dreamed this show could be as enjoyable as it was. Thats not to say it was without mistakes-in fact the major mistakes were made by the veterans-incluiding a major flub by Alan on AYAI. But they were able to joke about it and move on. the thing that was so impressive to me was their energy level(esp. at 60 something), and their courage in taking on really difficult new songs like Machine Messiah,Onward, and Astral Traveller.The harmony vocals of Benoit and Chris on "Onward" were just stunning. In fact, the mix on their harmonies all night was just perfect. Now, thats not to say that their pitch was right on all night, cause it wasn't-but it was spot on much more than it was off. Chris amazes me in a different way every time I see him. He was a monster on bass as usual,his tone and mix was perfect, but it was his vocals that impessed me this time. Benoit David struggled at times for sure, but I could not get over his courage to reach for every note, and his job on CTTE during the I get up, I get down section was just incredible! Oliver didn't even try to fill his Dad's shoes, and was very stiff the whole night, but loosened up a little on CTTE and ST. He did an adequate job overall, i think He's still pretty nervous in that role. I have to say that it was one of the best sounding and most enjoyable Yes shows I've been to(this was no.7),even though it might not have been the best performed. The energy level on stage(except Oliver)and in the audience was incredible!There were guys and gals dancing throughout the show.To me-this was YES, even without Jon and Rick.I think it just made me appreciate Chris,Steve, and Alan even more!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].