Todd Rundgren

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Todd Rundgren

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 am

Rock icon Todd Rundgren will be in Chattanooga at Rhythm n Brews April Fools Day(No joke). Todd had a progressive period with Utopia in the mid-late 70's including one of my desert island discs, "RA".Still can't believe he's coming here,have to catch this one!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:06 am

Must see.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:34 pm

hey yeshead go for me. i love todd rundgren. wizard true star and the ballad of todd are two of my fav albums of his. not quite desert island but up there.
If left is wrong I don't wanna be right...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Can't wait! Steve, Fred, Robert,Me, Elric and maybe more Chattanooga progheads will be present and accounted for. Hope he doesn't think we're just a bunch of Tennessee hicks! Should be a great show. Review pending.........................................................
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Todd Rundgren

Post by Physicist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Rock icon Todd Rundgren will be in Chattanooga at Rhythm n Brews April Fools Day(No joke). Todd had a progressive period with Utopia in the mid-late 70's including one of my desert island discs, "RA".Still can't believe he's coming here,have to catch this one!
I hate to admit it, but I saw Todd during his Utopia tour (1974?) at Pine Knob in Michigan. It was a good show. Very professional. As I remember, the album was about 50 minutes long, pushing the limit on how close the grooves could be on the vinyl before you lost too much dynamic range.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:03 am

I hate to admit it, but I saw Todd during his Utopia tour (1974?) at Pine Knob in Michigan. It was a good show. Very professional. As I remember, the album was about 50 minutes long, pushing the limit on how close the grooves could be on the vinyl before you lost too much dynamic range.[/quote]

You hate to admit it cause why???? It was so long ago and you're so old like the rest of us? I saw YES in 1975-my first real rock show!When I see those like Todd and the other 60something rockers still rocking out it makes me feel younger!

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:08 pm

yeshead 777 wrote: You hate to admit it cause why???? It was so long ago and you're so old like the rest of us? I saw YES in 1975-my first real rock show!When I see those like Todd and the other 60something rockers still rocking out it makes me feel younger!
Bingo. I watched the Beatles live on Ed Sullivan. That kind of old. There are limits to how young one can feel after a while, but that doesn't get in the way of my joy. There are even better ways than old rockers to feel young. Granddaughters!

BTW, my YES concert was Relayer, in Detroit, the day after the Average White Band gang assault concert.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow, a pattern forms- my first concert was- YES! But it was the '76 Solo Album tour. Kind of the same thing though... the stage had the octopus arms, so cool! And 2 separate keyboard rigs.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 pm

Todd is an icon. I was a huge utopia fan during the RA days, and would have loved to see him live then. i definetely got into his prog stuff more than his pop stuff, but I hear the new stuff and tour are very much guitar rock oriented. Should be great! What i'd give to hear "Hiroshimo" though.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Totally awesome show! and great to see the GH reunion-Fred,Steve,Walter, and Eric-very cool! He started out with 6 or so old songs-all fairly familiar and very well done, esp. my fav of the night Utopia's "Trapped" with Kasim Sulton singing some lead as in the original. The bulk of the new album-which he played"Top to bottom" was very strong, and then he did two oldies for encores. the band was tight, the show enormous fun, a great night for all-and for Chattanooga!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Totally awesome show! and great to see the GH reunion-Fred,Steve,Walter, and Eric-very cool! He started out with 6 or so old songs-all fairly familiar and very well done, esp. my fav of the night Utopia's "Trapped" with Kasim Sulton singing some lead as in the original. The bulk of the new album-which he played"Top to bottom" was very strong, and then he did two oldies for encores. the band was tight, the show enormous fun, a great night for all-and for Chattanooga!
Yep, that was the official Walter, Fred, Steve revival. We hugged about 15 times, professed our unending love for one another - and then got our butts kicked by Todd.
TODD ROCKED!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart