For the Olias Connoisseurs

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

For the Olias Connoisseurs

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Thrilled...this is the word for me after listening for the first time to Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow. Because of the Top Five questions on almost all the interiews and Fred and Steve mentioning I simple felt that "I have to listen to this crazy thing...".

I liked the plot all about the planet and the Moorglade [btw, waiting so long for the movie of Roger Dean] but one thing really thrilled me: of course the lyrics and mostly the final song, The Song of Search, one that I can't help in making anysense connecting to the story:

"Spurn all ye kindle and cradle his sweet pleasure

In it all
to the devil take
In it all
to the devil take"

Can someone shed some light into it?

Of course, listening to Yes after a good time you start to understand the lyrics [or making your own sense out of them] but I simply stucked in that part...and I hate to be thrilled... :wink:

Thanks in advance.
Godspeed.

PS: The music, the mood, the voice all of them are really amazing but the itchy on my head don't let me enjoy too much.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 pm

I love Olias as an album and iirc, this period for Jon was still about composing lyrics that sounded right with the music, regardless of meaning. Think of Close to the Edge:

A seasoned witch to call you to the depths of your disgrace,
I rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.

Makes no sense, but sounds great in the context of the music.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 pm

theHermit wrote:I love Olias as an album and iirc, this period for Jon was still about composing lyrics that sounded right with the music, regardless of meaning. Think of Close to the Edge:

A seasoned witch to call you to the depths of your disgrace,
I rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.

Makes no sense, but sounds great in the context of the music.
Yeah, this was my first tought of all. He searched to make words of no meaning sound good with each one plus the music, weird, by makes the "magic" of Yes, and the Olias album.

Anyhow, I'll get deep and deep till I find at least one good meaning for every phrase...maybe some band will do a concept album about my story someday.... :wink:
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 am

I have to admit that, given that music is such a total abstraction in the first place, I have a deep affection for lyrics that are equally abstract. Obviously lyrics can have a great power to convey ideas and I'm all about that as well but it can really give a melody a lot of power when the other side of your brain isn't engaged trying to work out the words.

Heed this message Wiggle.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:15 am

FredProgGH wrote:I have to admit that, given that music is such a total abstraction in the first place, I have a deep affection for lyrics that are equally abstract. Obviously lyrics can have a great power to convey ideas and I'm all about that as well but it can really give a melody a lot of power when the other side of your brain isn't engaged trying to work out the words.

So do I, Fred. I like straight forward lyrics too, but when they are really needed [like the part for KOFT when talking about "what lurks beetwen the lines" and that stuff, is a kind of meta-language...], but even when I never listened to Yes or other progs bands and wrote some poetry to pass the time or the ease my mind [:roll:] I seemed to do some with high abstraction, just like Yes songs, and that's one of the points that I like so much in Yes besides the music. It's like The Gates of Delirium Vs. CTTE...

As the vinyl turns, one of the highlights of Chronomethre, for me, is the lyrics on Empty Space & Revealer...astounishing lines!

"Once back within a time of Ever
Seen sharply still as we believe
The line laughs softly hollow measure
The light reveals for now to see"

It's an awesome thunder turn around the scene...

I guess that on the whole Olias album, with it's capturing music and even the imaginary landscapes drawing in or mind during the listening the word "devil" that struck me hard...I shall pass it when I find a good meaning. :wink:
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 am

Hehe- well the lyrics to Revealer were meant to be a direct parody- er tribute!! to Jon and the lyrics he wrote in the early days. We had a few key Jon words we got in there, like "shine" and "attain" :D I always thought it turned out well. I'd write like that all the time if I thought we could get away with it...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 pm

FredProgGH wrote: We had a few key Jon words we got in there, like "shine" and "attain" :D
Don't forget "love" and "touch[ing]" too! :lol:
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:13 pm

FredProgGH wrote:I have to admit that, given that music is such a total abstraction in the first place, I have a deep affection for lyrics that are equally abstract. Obviously lyrics can have a great power to convey ideas and I'm all about that as well but it can really give a melody a lot of power when the other side of your brain isn't engaged trying to work out the words.

I am of two minds on this topic. I can usually take or leave lyrics, but occasionally they can be very powerful in combination with the music. I think of the superb, wailing slide guitar solo after this:

Then his axe was broken
Still he fought with mailed fists
As deep plunged the sword of the
Knight of the North into his heart
And he died

On the other hand I find Song of Tears on Karl Jenkins Adiemus 2 to be quite moving, and the lyrics are literally gibberish.

Of my two minds, I quess I would put about 1.8 on the music and .2 on the lyrics...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm

I love that part of KotN!

You can totally see me in the Belmont DVD stabbing my hand in the air at that completely amazing moment =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03