Musical Suggestions? (as well as others)

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Excellent! Glad to hear it! (No pun intended...)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 am

hey there. definitely explore all of the Flower King's albums. have you heard any gentle giant? if so, you may like ritual and beardfish. but you really can't go past the italian prog stuff IMO. there are heaps of samples on progarchives.com (that's how i got into it) and it has all the classic 70's stuff, moogs, mellotrons, organs, acoustic guitar (nylon string stuff - very melodic), and nice jazzy drumming. wasn't perhaps known for virtuoso guitar playing though.

early genesis of course, and yes, ELP, but i think VDGG and KC are more acquired tastes. ooh. gentle giant have and album called acquiring the taste. (pun intended!)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 am

Awesome! Working your way through the classics then!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

aswas

Post by aswas » Mon May 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Hey there,
I have found some great prog across the seas over the last few months, not as good as GH of course. Pallas is a band that has been around since 1981. They are a mix of Genesis and Yes, with a little heavy stuff thrown in once in a while. There are various theme changes, many synths, organs, and a great guitar. The Cross and the Crucible is probably their best. It is awesome. On Midas Man, the 2nd to last track, he even borrows a rendition of the conclusion of Awaken by Yes(Rick's Choir and Pipe Organ.) Some folks didn't like that in the Yes arena because Awaken is sacred to Yes fans, as I am one of. They perform this song also on the Pallas DVD Moment to Moment. The power is just incredible.
The Cross would be a good one for you, because I am a prog freak from the 70's and am looking also. There is a band Arena, IQ(heavy trons especially cds from the 1990's-2000. I just pull them up on Amazon and listen to the samples. Anyway, sorry so long
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon May 17, 2010 3:10 pm

aswas wrote:Hey there,
I have found some great prog across the seas over the last few months, not as good as GH of course. Pallas is a band that has been around since 1981. They are a mix of Genesis and Yes, with a little heavy stuff thrown in once in a while. There are various theme changes, many synths, organs, and a great guitar. The Cross and the Crucible is probably their best. It is awesome. On Midas Man, the 2nd to last track, he even borrows a rendition of the conclusion of Awaken by Yes(Rick's Choir and Pipe Organ.) Some folks didn't like that in the Yes arena because Awaken is sacred to Yes fans, as I am one of. They perform this song also on the Pallas DVD Moment to Moment. The power is just incredible.
The Cross would be a good one for you, because I am a prog freak from the 70's and am looking also. There is a band Arena, IQ(heavy trons especially cds from the 1990's-2000. I just pull them up on Amazon and listen to the samples. Anyway, sorry so long
Thanks. I'll look into these. I absolutely love Yes, but I'm not completely familiar with their works, so your suggestions sound excellent!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Pallas

Post by Physicist » Mon May 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Aswas is dead on with his assessment of Cross and Crucible (right down to the Yes riff). Very thoughtful, superb music. Buy it immediately.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

aswas

Post by aswas » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks for that Physicist. If you like keyboards Japes, check out Symphony X keys player Michael Pinella's new solo cd. It is along the vein of Symphony X, with Michael's Piano thrown in the mix. It is great. Tomas Bodin's (Flower Kings keys player) has a couple good solos. His first one was the best(...Ordinary Life).

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue May 18, 2010 4:51 am

aswas wrote:Thanks for that Physicist. If you like keyboards Japes, check out Symphony X keys player Michael Pinella's new solo cd. It is along the vein of Symphony X, with Michael's Piano thrown in the mix. It is great. Tomas Bodin's (Flower Kings keys player) has a couple good solos. His first one was the best(...Ordinary Life).
Oh yeah, I actually DO have a few Symphony X albums thanks to my brother. I absolutely love V: The New Mythology, and the the actual song "The Odyssey"
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

aswas

Post by aswas » Tue May 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Great choice. Symphony X V is my favorite of all of them. The CD shows great musicmanship and a wonderful sense of imagination. Michael Pinella, the keyboardist, like I said, has a new cd out. It is a great cd if you like the style of Symphony X, but with alot of great piano playing added to it. It is only 40 minutes long. But after listening to it, you feel like it is much longer, because of so much power and punch put into it. If U like V, you would like Kamelot's Ghost Opera.The other prog bands IQ is more melletron/synthesizer neo prog stuff which I love. Their last cd Frequency is great. They have been around along time also like Pallas. Arena, has alot of stunning guitar work along with the keys work. One of their best cd's available is Immortal, Contagion, and the Visitor. Some are hard to find. Amazon UK-check it out. If u want any more idea, I have several. See ya

msuitt

Re: Musical Suggestions? (as well as others)

Post by msuitt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:33 am

Well, I'm late to the game here...but I can suggest a few bands for sure.

One of my favorite new bands is Haken. Their latest is a concept album (which is one of my weaknesses) and very well written. It's a little on the heavy side, but I'm an old metal head from way back, so I dig that. Although I wouldn't call them metal by any means.

You mentioned Spock's Beard, and I'm a fan of their older stuff. I haven't really been able to get into any post-Neal stuff though. If you enjoy Neal's music, of course try Transatlantic. They are truly a prog "supergroup" and also write some great concept work.

One of my favorite, more obscure bands is Unitopia. They are out of Australia and feature some great instrumentation in their work. The Garden is just an amazing CD from start to finish, if you ask me.

I would recommend Karmakanic. They are another European prog band (can't recall where exactly) and Who's The Boss in the Factory is a great CD.

As far as the classic bands, I would humbly suggest not to ignore ELO. It is debatable as to whether or not they can be considered "prog" but I think many of their elements are. Time is a hugely underrated album. (Also a concept piece, are you sensing a theme here?)

Lastly, I have discovered a band called Gungor (I think I posted a vid on the GH facebook page of them) who have written a great concept album based on CS Lewis' "the Great Divorce" called "Ghosts Upon the Earth" that I find quite amazing. Its not exclusively what I'd call "prog", but its very innovative and well done.

Hope this helps you find some more proggy goodness to enjoy, JP!