11%

Total votes: 9

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Spock's Beard

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:15 pm

Hey all!
I was just wondering, out of preference, which era of SB everyone here prefers. I know they are at least several Neal Morse fans, so I would guess that most people like Spock's Beard better when he lead, but I'm still very curious. Personally, while I think Nick has a great voice, the excellent writing just isn't there. So, I would have to say I prefer the "Morse Era."

So what do you think?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Definitely the Morse stuff, though honestly I haven't even really listened to the new stuff much at all so I maybe shouldn't be too quick to express an opinion.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:02 pm

I am a Not-Morse fan, myself. But I've given my spiel.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 pm

@Fred
Their newest album, named Spock's Beard, underwhelmed me overall, but I REALLY enjoyed the songs On a Perfect Day and All That's Left.

@Sam
I haven't listened to a whole lot of either, but less of the new stuff, so that could give me a bias.
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:05 pm

I've got started with the Beards with "V" and I liked it a lot but felt that Neal vocals were to much pop for my taste that time, and then changed a while after when I listened to "?" from Neal solo career, and with my favorite SB album "The Light".

So, for sure, Neal-era is the best of Spock's Beard IMO.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 am

being the holder of all spock's albums i would definitely start with V, then beware of darkness, kindness of strangers. with that tasting then get the dvd (morse era) and prog out to that. next perhaps would be the snow album and (post neal) feel euphoria. the other two post neal albums did little for me as with the lastest dvd... but i guess i'm a neal fan-boy so what can i say.

keep the questions a-coming japesy!
its definitely a good thing to get some reviews from fellow prog-peeps, but as it is with prog, people have very differing tastes when it comes to what they like. ie: arena :roll:
hehe.

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 am

I'm not a huge Neal Morse fan, but the music was certainly better while he was there.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Chalk up another Morse-era vote here.

I feel that neither Spock's without Neal nor Neal solo have reached the heights that the original SB line-up reached.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 pm

SuperTed wrote:Chalk up another Morse-era vote here.

I feel that neither Spock's without Neal nor Neal solo have reached the heights that the original SB line-up reached.
I think I'd have to agree, although I've only heard Snow of their older stuff, and I REALLY like Neal Morse's solo stuff (at least much better than Spock's Beard's new stuff).

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I thinks its a "no contest". Nick is a great drummer and solid vocalist, but the albums without Neal just sound like a different band, and not nearly as interesting of one. Neal has gone on to make a few great albums since leaving, and the 3 beard albums? Eh, they just don't do much for me. Its solid rock and roll with a few prog touches here and there, not really what I'm looking for. I think it was a mistake to continue under the SB name when the main song writer left the band. I'd likely be less harsh about their music if it was a "new" band. But its impossible not to make comparisons.
And now for something completly different