Vinyl?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Vinyl?

Post by Japes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Now, I can easily understand why this hasn't been done, and why it probably never will be, but is there any possibility of a special edition Glass Hammer album on vinyl? I'm sure there is a market for such a release, especially within the prog community, but I can see how the excessive cost of production (thus little to no profit) would hinder this, but it would be such an awesome release! I don't even have a turntable and I would buy one!

The reason I bring this up is I've noticed the growing trend of vinyl albums being available aside their CD counterparts (ie: Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King [Dave Matthews] and Black Clouds and Silver Linings [Dream Theater]). Anyway, just a thought.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Oh man...

That's an interesting thought, but that must be awful expensive lol...

Why not a commemorative Chronometree 8-track?

:P
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Oh man...

That's an interesting thought, but that must be awful expensive lol...

Why not a commemorative Chronometree 8-track?

That would definitely go well with the theme

I might buy three of them...
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Chronometree would be a cool choice- I think it's short enough to fit on vinyl. And the cover would look good. There needs to be some kind of set up like Cafe Press does for graphics where albums could literally be pressed as one-offs for each individual purchase. It would cost a :shock:-load probably *lol* I don't think I'd ever be comfortable just pressing up a thousand and hoping they sold :P
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:20 am

Well, at least you agree that it would be a cool idea, even if it never does come to fruition. Maybe you could just print the cardboard sleeve and put in a piece of plastic shaped like a vinyl. No, seriously, I would totally buy it!

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 am

Japes wrote:Well, at least you agree that it would be a cool idea, even if it never does come to fruition. Maybe you could just print the cardboard sleeve and put in a piece of plastic shaped like a vinyl. No, seriously, I would totally buy it!
That's a great idea. Think back to the vinyl releases (for the elderly among us) that had colored vinyl, patterned vinyl, or even pictures on the vinyl. You could have a classic album cover (maybe even one that folds open) with a plastic blank disk that could be another piece of art. I for one would buy any number of these if they had Glass Hammer album art.

...It would be cheaper than a limited run pressing from a master...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:26 am

We had the idea of selling a cd in an album-sized sleeve years ago. I'm shocked no one has done that yet. I suppose we could design it ourselves...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 pm

FredProgGH wrote:We had the idea of selling a cd in an album-sized sleeve years ago. I'm shocked no one has done that yet. I suppose we could design it ourselves...
That would we sweet! Perhaps an idea for the new album? Or Inconsolable Revisited! Anything, really! I absolutely love the idea, and I, for one, would buy it no matter the cost. That or the sleeve with a blank would be amazing, too.