GH Sales

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

GH Sales

Post by Japes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I'll start off by saying that I don't know how uncomfortable or open GH is to giving sales information, and if you are then feel free to delete this topic, but I've always been really curious. How much does an album like, say, The Inconsolable Secret sell compared to an album by a prog artist like Dream Theater?

In addition to this, is everything done by the Glass Hammer folk? I know Sound Resources and Avion Records are run by you guys, which is most of it, but is there any other middle man that reduces your profit margin?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: GH Sales

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 pm

Japes wrote:How much does an album like, say, The Inconsolable Secret sell compared to an album by a prog artist like Dream Theater?
Not as much :evil:
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 pm

haha... awww..

:roll:

Fred, you and Steve need to set a world record like Portnoy did, then GH will get more exposure!

Like..... Most Bones Broken and Corrective Surgeries for a Bass Player...

or Most Weight lost by a Keyboardist in a year... lol
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:17 am

What record did Portnoy set? I'm sure whatever it is, Fred and Steve could do it blindfolded with their hands tied behind their backs, though!
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:44 pm

I believe he holds the world record for fastest snare roll without double-tapping
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I believe he holds the world record for fastest snare roll without double-tapping
Are you sure? I think that might be Mike Mangini...

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Well, DT's albums are sold at most of the mainstream stores around where I live, and they recently got up to #6 on the charts with their new album.

I'd love being able to find GH albums at the local record store someday. Seriously. There's just something about going to the store and picking up the record and taking it home with you that beats having to constantly go through the hassle of ordering things off the internet and then playing the waiting game. I'm not sure if you guys actually have albums sold in stores, but around the Milwaukee area I've never found a thing.

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

As far as I know, because they basically produce everything independently, they're unavailable everywhere except Amazon, here, and used markets. I know I was bummed out the first time I checked FYE and they didn't have it, but I rest easier knowing Glass Hammer gets to control what they get from their recordings, God knows how little most artists actually make from their music itself (at least those in a fairly niche genre like prog).

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Japes wrote:As far as I know, because they basically produce everything independently, they're unavailable everywhere except Amazon, here, and used markets. I know I was bummed out the first time I checked FYE and they didn't have it, but I rest easier knowing Glass Hammer gets to control what they get from their recordings, God knows how little most artists actually make from their music itself (at least those in a fairly niche genre like prog).
I could get distribution for Glass Hammer and have been offered US distribution several times. The tradeoff is that you must relinquish complete control of your product to a very large company that has virtually no interest in promoting the band.
The other concern is that many of these distributors return large quantities of unsold merch. , or go bust and never pay the record company.
I've never been willing to take the risk, and would rather stick with online distribution like mail order houses, amazon, itunes and our own website. :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Japes wrote:As far as I know, because they basically produce everything independently, they're unavailable everywhere except Amazon, here, and used markets. I know I was bummed out the first time I checked FYE and they didn't have it, but I rest easier knowing Glass Hammer gets to control what they get from their recordings, God knows how little most artists actually make from their music itself (at least those in a fairly niche genre like prog).
I could get distribution for Glass Hammer and have been offered US distribution several times. The tradeoff is that you must relinquish complete control of your product to a very large company that has virtually no interest in promoting the band.
The other concern is that many of these distributors return large quantities of unsold merch. , or go bust and never pay the record company.
I've never been willing to take the risk, and would rather stick with online distribution like mail order houses, amazon, itunes and our own website. :)
Steve
hmmm, it does seem like an awfully big risk then. i remember you mentioning something once about the 'david' cd being released thru a label or company or something... is this at all an example of how you lose control/direction once you hand it over to someone else?? (just on a side - my wife and i totally crack up to your king saul voice. sounds like ron burgundy!)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 am

[/quote]hmmm, it does seem like an awfully big risk then. i remember you mentioning something once about the 'david' cd being released thru a label or company or something... is this at all an example of how you lose control/direction once you hand it over to someone else?? (just on a side - my wife and i totally crack up to your king saul voice. sounds like ron burgundy!)[/quote]

The David and Goliath CD is a prime example of distribution. They named the product wrong in the computer, so no store could order. Then pitched it to Baptist Book Stores as "Jesus Christ Superstar for Kids" (bad idea). Then lost all 2000 copies they printed in their warehouse and cut off all communications with us within days. Then - had their own signed artists write a "David and Goliath Musical" which they promoted - then went bankrupt.
That was several months work down the toilet - with a 'Christian' distribution company and a 'Christian' record label.
:roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Oh, wow, I had never actually heard of the David and Goliath CD, but I just looked it up on Amazon. So is that the first time you tried working with a record label?

Also, what exactly is that CD, like, what exactly is the music? Is it something a hardcore Hammerhead should look into at some point (even if just to say they have all of Glass Hammer's stuff)?

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
hmmm, it does seem like an awfully big risk then. i remember you mentioning something once about the 'david' cd being released thru a label or company or something... is this at all an example of how you lose control/direction once you hand it over to someone else?? (just on a side - my wife and i totally crack up to your king saul voice. sounds like ron burgundy!)[/quote]

The David and Goliath CD is a prime example of distribution. They named the product wrong in the computer, so no store could order. Then pitched it to Baptist Book Stores as "Jesus Christ Superstar for Kids" (bad idea). Then lost all 2000 copies they printed in their warehouse and cut off all communications with us within days. Then - had their own signed artists write a "David and Goliath Musical" which they promoted - then went bankrupt.
That was several months work down the toilet - with a 'Christian' distribution company and a 'Christian' record label.
:roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:[/quote]

that's a shame to hear that steve. a real shame cos i can hear the effort that went into that album man. my wife and i really love it. we must have played it in our car (no exaggeration) over 100 times. love it love it love it. you should definitely have it re-distributed or whatever its called, i'm not in the game, don't know the lingo. maybe with a different cover?? (pls don't take any offence if its a friend of yours or you guys are keen on it, but i guess my wife and i just picture david differently that's all). i'm probably biased of course because i love GH and all kinds of prog, but my wife is NOT a fan of prog (despite all my coercing) and she absolutely digs it. we just can't wait until our daughter Hosanna is old enought to sing so we can all sing along together.
every time we listen we hear something different ... (for example i didn't pick up on abner when he's disgruntled saying "wonder if the philistines need a new general" until +50 times or so. i really like the turn around of the fear & termbling lyrics when its sung by different actors and many other things are great about this. get someone else to look at it but hopefully they don't stuff it up like the last group and you make some money at least to cover all the months you spent on it. anyways... enough of my rambling...
If left is wrong I don't wanna be right...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:56 am

Hehe- without getting personal about it, Steve and I have always HATED that cover. It was a source of contention, let's leave it at that.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Hehe- without getting personal about it, Steve and I have always HATED that cover. It was a source of contention, let's leave it at that.
There 'is' another cover on the iTunes version. Which, I just noticed, needs updated. It was dropped when iTunes switched to iTunes+. I'll take care of that and it'll be available again :)