The Whirlwind Deluxe Unboxed!!! (Plus So Many Roads)

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

The Whirlwind Deluxe Unboxed!!! (Plus So Many Roads)

Post by Japes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Really hoping my local record shop will be carrying the 2-disc edition. I've been hearing good things so far.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 am

The 2 disc version is well worth the price! The first disc had to grow on me a little-took 3-4 listens, but I love it now.Roine sings alot more lead, and Pete's bass is mugh louder in the mix. Disc Two-the first four original pieces are form ok to very good, and "I need you a mash of the covers of both America's version, and the Beatles, and Genesis' Return of the giant hogweed are the strongest of the four covers. All is very listenable!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

yeshead 777 wrote:The 2 disc version is well worth the price! The first disc had to grow on me a little-took 3-4 listens, but I love it now.Roine sings alot more lead, and Pete's bass is mugh louder in the mix. Disc Two-the first four original pieces are form ok to very good, and "I need you a mash of the covers of both America's version, and the Beatles, and Genesis' Return of the giant hogweed are the strongest of the four covers. All is very listenable!!!
It swept me up on the first listen. "The Whirlwind" is absolutely genius and I love it.

After listening a few times, I'd rank this as the best Transatlantic album for me. And since so many people on other forums keep complaining that it "sounds like a Neal Morse solo album" I guess I'd better check out some of his stuff.

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 pm

NelStone wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote:The 2 disc version is well worth the price! The first disc had to grow on me a little-took 3-4 listens, but I love it now.Roine sings alot more lead, and Pete's bass is mugh louder in the mix. Disc Two-the first four original pieces are form ok to very good, and "I need you a mash of the covers of both America's version, and the Beatles, and Genesis' Return of the giant hogweed are the strongest of the four covers. All is very listenable!!!
It swept me up on the first listen. "The Whirlwind" is absolutely genius and I love it.

After listening a few times, I'd rank this as the best Transatlantic album for me. And since so many people on other forums keep complaining that it "sounds like a Neal Morse solo album" I guess I'd better check out some of his stuff.
I would have to say that after a few listens, it DOES sound like a Neal Morse album in parts. But, that is to be expected, not only because he wrote the original demo, but because the album is a mixture of all the members' input. Neal Morse's solo stuff IS starting to all sound the same (minus a few creative and superb tracks per album, not including any bonus disc material), just to warn you. But if you like The Whirlwind, I'm sure you will like Neal Morse's stuff. I'd say check out the new live album, So Many Roads, because it takes songs from all of his albums. Then, make your opinions on to whether you'd like to buy any more albums.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.