The "Beyond Great" Gift

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

The "Beyond Great" Gift

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 pm

I've been a Glass Hammer fan since I listened to Shadowlands, long time ago, but until I got "Lex Live" for my birthday one year ago, this was my sole GH possession...

Why?

Because I'm a Brazilian GH fan! And it's pretty hard to get a GH cd here under the tropical lines! And they cost here double or even the treble that they cost on the outside world...but Lex Live was worth of the effort of waiting months to arrive here...! But the other CD's continue pretty hard to find...

But that time is past since I receive the The "Beyond Great" Gift ever: a true love, only seven months ago, counting today. And...what's all about?

For the special 7th month, we exchanged gifts like always, and I received the Best Gift Ever:

My the better and my favorite ones: Perelandra, On To Evermore, Lex Rex, Chronometree, Shadowlands and Live and Revived! They are here!! And I'm truly happy to stop waiting for buffering or living with tiny samples!

And among them all, there's a copy, numbered 740 of the first issue of Live and Revived, that even me and her wouldn't have ever dreamed of having on hands!

So...this is a dream coming thru...! Sorry for my don't-minding-to-hide-any-bit-of-excitement! And I ask you to wait for the dust of the old threads to come out with a lot of questions. And maybe sorry for my bad english too.... :roll

That's it! I guess she found the way to my heart.... :D
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Wow, original cover! Sweet *lol* :P
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Wow, I didn't even know that existed! Where were these purchased?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:03 pm

That's like winning the lotaria! You should be excited.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Japes wrote:Wow, I didn't even know that existed! Where were these purchased?
She bought it from a collector here in Brazil. He's about a thousand miles from my city, and never mentioned that it was THAT copy of the disc! And don't ask me why he sold that piece...!!!

I guess the other 999 are just scattered thru the globe as well...very hard to find, and very odd to get a number ending in 0! 740!

Question for Babb or Schendel: were they numbered one by one? By whom?
Physicist wrote:That's like winning the lotaria! You should be excited.
I am! I've won twice! 8)
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Wow, that's really awesome! Congrats! =)

EDIT: referring to the fact that she went 1000 miles AND happened to get that version
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Japes wrote:Wow, that's really awesome! Congrats! =)

EDIT: referring to the fact that she went 1000 miles AND happened to get that version
Oh Boy....! :lol:

She seached it, bought it by internet and the guy mailed her the CD's.

But there's an effort there...anyway! Thanks!
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:

Of course (I just misunderstood)! I've just started listening to those albums myself, and they are worth every penny in the world. You are very lucky to have someone in your life like that!

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Japes wrote:

Of course (I just misunderstood)! I've just started listening to those albums myself, and they are worth every penny in the world. You are very lucky to have someone in your life like that!
They are my favorite ones above all GH albuns. Everyone of them has a history of passion of it's own...and now GH truly is part of my life and my history of love....Isn't that great??

Long time ago "Longer" and "The way to her heart" played a great part in the history, if you know what I mean... :oops: :wink:
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 pm

She bought it from a collector here in Brazil. He's about a thousand miles from my city, and never mentioned that it was THAT copy of the disc! And don't ask me why he sold that piece...!!!

I guess the other 999 are just scattered thru the globe as well...very hard to find, and very odd to get a number ending in 0! 740!

I am! I've won twice! 8)
Hey,
Glad you got a copy! My guess is that my wife did the numbering. Cuz if I had done it, you wouldn't be able to read it at all. And here's a well kept secret (until now). Numbers 1 through 10 are still in a box in my house. Waiting for the day that GH will merit an ebay bidding war lol
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: The "Beyond Great" Gift

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: Because I'm a Brazilian GH fan! And it's pretty hard to get a GH cd here under the tropical lines! And they cost here double or even the treble that they cost on the outside world...but Lex Live was worth of the effort of waiting months to arrive here...! But the other CD's continue pretty hard to find...

We've had terrible luck mailing anything to South America. Apparently Customs breaks into the boxes and takes the merchandise. So we finally had to quit shipping there. The ones you find probably first went to Japan and then to Brazil. That's why they cost so much.
But if you know of any prog distributors in Brazil - I'm always game to try again.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Re: The "Beyond Great" Gift

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: Because I'm a Brazilian GH fan! And it's pretty hard to get a GH cd here under the tropical lines! And they cost here double or even the treble that they cost on the outside world...but Lex Live was worth of the effort of waiting months to arrive here...! But the other CD's continue pretty hard to find...

We've had terrible luck mailing anything to South America. Apparently Customs breaks into the boxes and takes the merchandise. So we finally had to quit shipping there. The ones you find probably first went to Japan and then to Brazil. That's why they cost so much.
But if you know of any prog distributors in Brazil - I'm always game to try again.
Steve
There's good distributors here in Brazil, manly for CCM music and a great Christian Heavy Metal distributor too. I also guessed that the CD's came from Japan, and even if they are used ones, they are good as new because they were bought from a collector.

And, many people here in Brazil have knowledge of GH, [lots of reviews of GH material] but have the same difficulties to get a CD. I've just fond a used copy of "Journey of the Dunadan" and "Live at Nearfest" that I'll buy soon as I get the money, and new copies of "Live at Belmont" and "Culture of Ascent".

I'm pretty lucky and happy because of the CD's, they were used, but so well conserved that they look as if they have just left the plastic wrap.

But not just me but a lot of prog rock fans here in Brazil would like to have the music of GH distributed easily. I can tell a label of brazilian prog rock artists that have the new CD's that I've found, and you Steve can take a look with you want to try:

http://www.masquerecords.com/ - there's and english version too!
Last edited by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:

I am! I've won twice! 8)
Hey,
Glad you got a copy! My guess is that my wife did the numbering. Cuz if I had done it, you wouldn't be able to read it at all. And here's a well kept secret (until now). Numbers 1 through 10 are still in a box in my house. Waiting for the day that GH will merit an ebay bidding war lol
Steve
Wow....it won't take long I guess... :wink:

You should see my face when I opened the box and start fliping the cd's and then, out of the blue, I saw that cover and after that the number and just said:

"O H M Y G O D!", and my girlfriend was just: "What? Something's wrong??" and I: "On the contrary.....just the darn contrary!"

That's was a pretty surprise.

My dream is that if I only could get a copy of the original "Inconsolabe Secret" ...oh boy! So impossible! I would be a happiest person.... :P And btw, she said: "Oh...I couldn't find it..."

:lol:
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm a VERY lucky Glass Hammer fan because of my brother. He really got me into prog in the summer of '08, but I actually didn't like Glass Hammer a whole lot (in fact when I was younger, I made fun of it for the "weird name" and "odd music"). After some more exposure, I fell in love, and my brother sold me Chronometree, Live at NearFest, Shadowlands, Inconsolable Secret, and Culture of Ascent (which he had actually just purchased). Several years later I feel extremely privileged to own all the GH albums. It's really cool to be part of such a tight community, and to know that there are avid fans from parts of the world like Brazil, who go through a large amount of work just to be fan. I wish you luck in getting those other albums!

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Japes wrote:I'm a VERY lucky Glass Hammer fan because of my brother. He really got me into prog in the summer of '08, but I actually didn't like Glass Hammer a whole lot (in fact when I was younger, I made fun of it for the "weird name" and "odd music"). After some more exposure, I fell in love, and my brother sold me Chronometree, Live at NearFest, Shadowlands, Inconsolable Secret, and Culture of Ascent (which he had actually just purchased). Several years later I feel extremely privileged to own all the GH albums. It's really cool to be part of such a tight community, and to know that there are avid fans from parts of the world like Brazil, who go through a large amount of work just to be fan. I wish you luck in getting those other albums!
Thanks Japes! And congrats for your blessed brother too! All GH albums!!! I will be there on day!

I've find very good people here who share not just the good music of prog rock, but also philosophy, great debates and a lot of respect, good books and storys...and music again!

If you just saw the photo os the CD's, I've took a special care to show my Tolkien Collection [in portuguese of course], Narnia, and the Hitchhikers Guide Series. :lol:
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]