The "Beyond Great" Gift

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks for sharing your toughts too.

The intersting thing is that we have many prog bands here in Brazil, but the scene just exists for who knows that it exists, that means prog here is really underground!

We have Apocalypse, Tempus Fugit, and even one album in the Progarchives Top 100 Bacamarte's Depois do Fim, that's absurdly high recommended! People tend to compare them mainly to italian prog rock bands like PFM [that I found to be amazing!] and Banco, I guess it part because of the sound of the language [both brazilian portuguese and italian are latin, you know] and the sound too, because of the instrumentation used like flutes and other kinds of percussion.

Most of them are Indie bands that distribute their album on a specific label.

But.....as you see, it's easier to a foreigner to like our prog sound, than we. Of course there are plenty progheads here in Brazil, but it's not easy to sit down on a coffee shop and start a conversation with a stranger by saying:

"Have you heard the last CD by _________*" *put prog rock band here.

Yeah....this is it! :)
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Physicist wrote:
No, I don't think I'll be tracking that one down anytime soon. It took me several years to finally find "Lacramaria" by Ars Nova. Try getting a Kenso DVD, and not spend a fortune. There are some DVD's of the band Gerard, but only available in Japan. A couple clips from these are on Youtube, but that is it.
You're much further up the power curve than I am... Scoring Lacramaria--Quite impressive...[/quote]

I got this from Synphonic just last year, believe it or not. It was a "mini album" according to the band -not a full fledged release. It was out of print for a while, and then a short re-release a few years ago as a mini-lp sleeve with bonus tracks. Synphonic still lists it, so I guess its not that rare. But those Gerard DVD's, don't have any idea where to get them without a trip to Japan, which is not happening any time soon.
And now for something completly different

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:56 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
We have Apocalypse, Tempus Fugit, and even one album in the Progarchives Top 100 Bacamarte's Depois do Fim, that's absurdly high recommended! People tend to compare them mainly to italian prog rock bands like PFM [that I found to be amazing!] and Banco, I guess it part because of the sound of the language [both brazilian portuguese and italian are latin, you know] and the sound too, because of the instrumentation used like flutes and other kinds of percussion.
If that comparison is accurate, I'll have to check them out! I have the Tempus Fugit albums, I think "Tales" is a classic 90's prog album, even with the unfortunate narration bits, and the recent "Chessboard" is pretty good.
And now for something completly different

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:01 pm

yanks07 wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
If that comparison is accurate, I'll have to check them out! I have the Tempus Fugit albums, I think "Tales" is a classic 90's prog album, even with the unfortunate narration bits, and the recent "Chessboard" is pretty good.
I bet you'll not be disaponted...the album is really suberb.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]