Happy Birthday, Steve!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Happy Birthday, Steve!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:45 pm

(This is a slightly early post for me to make, but not for Lania to read, I'm sure - a few hours to go until 10/22 for me)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVE!
:hamburger: eat lots of good stuff!
:zzz: get lots of nice rest!
:cat: (but remember to feed your cat)
:cackle: be happy!
:dance: and PARTY!

and then, maybe, you'll have a wonderful hobbitish birthday. :) We love you, Steve!
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 pm

So it is!! HB, my fellow bassist!!

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:21 am

johnc wrote:So it is!! HB, my fellow bassist!!

johnc
Thanks to both Sam and John! Sam sent me an actual b-day poem by email today. Maybe she'll post it sometime??
Let there be cake!
Steve :dance:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:51 pm

AHA, just made it before work ceases for the day!!

Happy Natal Day, Steve!!!

Can we ask how old (or young) you are?? :D

April

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:52 pm

And the Mayor said:
MayorOfLongview wrote: Let there be cake!
And there was cake. And he saw that it was Very Good.

To April - Muahaha! You don't even need to ask him! just go to ghfan.net under the bios - I have all of their ages, forever! Muahaha!

And the poem Steve was talking about - I wrote him Steve a spur-of-the-moment bday poem late last night, to the tune of One King (that rhythm is a lot harder than I thought it would be!!!). i wasn't going to post it, but you guys are nice people and won't be mean about my lack of late night (or otherwise) talent ;)
Just two things to explain: 1) Steve and I make fun of each other's accents, he from down south and me from up north (well, I make more fun of him than he does of me ;)) So that's the only reason a good Mnan would say "y'all" instead of "you guys" 2) when i was an insane little sixth grader and insisted that in real life people call me samwise, and named a bunch of other random people, i officially named Steve Aragorn. So he has king even since.

So here it is:

One King

And so October the
Twenty-second
Comes again, comes again
And Sam remembers
Tomorrow is
Steve's birthday then, birthday then
And emails insane
She does write to his name to
Do him honor

Aragorn, as he's named,
is truly king,
Yes, Steve rules all, Steve rules all;
Few fans could boast like
Sam often could
Concerning y'all, concerning y'all
Not only the nicest,
most tolkien-like writer ever, (song writer, that is)
But also the one who spreads the most fun
To those around him
Thank you Steve,
We love you,
You rock all,
One man
One king
One band

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:07 pm

:lol: Happy Birthday!!! :hamburger:

Almost a coincidence... One day later and your birthday would fall on the world-renowned Mole Day. You know the one. :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:04 pm

Wow, I totally forgot about mole day. 1 mole = 6.022*10^23? right? Avagadro's number, was it? Cool! Well, thanks to you i have a handy way of remembering whether it's 10^23 or 10^24 (i get those numbers mixed up) if I ever take chemistry again - the day after Steve's bday.
You're good for a lot of things, Steve. ;)

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:03 pm

:cursing: You Forgot Mole Day!!! :cursing:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

:cursing: Sacrelege :cursing:

Mole day is the best day ever! I live for mole day. It is the most amazing, awesome, spectacular thing since sliced bread! Our entire period and a half of Chem-AP is spent eating and drinking food and soda off lab tables that may or may not currently be covered dangerous chemicals, reciting mole limericks, and watching "The Mole People." :hamburger: Also, all the physics kids who wish they were still in chemistry come and hang out during our class period and eat our food.

Everyone (who doesn't suck) makes their own mole and brings it in to class to vote on the best one. Me and my friend Sean made one that was larger than the pattern by a factor of sixteen, making it 16^3 (4096) times larger than everyone elses. It was made of $3 towels from Target and stuffed it with packing peanuts. We named it Tarkus II after my mole from last year, which was made of duct tape (which was named after the ELP album). Since ours was so gigantic and amazing, we won the contest and basked in the glory of chemistratic success. We have donated it to the Chemistry room, to join the ranks of all the other famous, enduring moles: the Hulk, Moleses, Yo-Yo mole, and even the elustrious Mr. Strode Mole. :lol:

Anyway, 'bout the Chemistry limericks; my friend and I have instated a Chemistry limerick of the day program for the AP class. :lol: On the first day of school (or so) we were reading our Sound and Sense books for english (that's right, for fun) and we were shocked to find that it called the limerick a "sub-literary genre." From that day forth, we set out to earn the limerick the artistic recognition it deserves, striving to someday elevate it to the status of the English or at least Italian Sonnet. In pursuit of this lofty calling, I have made it my goal to write my writing workshop piece in the form of a limerick verses. So far, I am just past Odysseyus' escape from Charibdys (sp?) for the second time (just past all the good stuff). In addition, we have writen a limerick every day for the Chem Limerick of the Day program. We are compiling all the chem limericks (including the below average contributions of the rest of the class) into a book to be published at the end of the year. :lol:

Chem limerick #0 (pre-chem limerick of the day program)
Whilst doing my chemistry lab
a bottle of acid I'd grab.
The bottle did fall
and so, all in all,
the burn formed a hideous scab.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Odyssey Verse #9
Telemachus the suitors did pester.
His anger towards them soon did fester.
He'd sail away,
Athena did say:
"At Pylos, you'll probably find Nestor."

The Odyssey Verse #13
Proteus, changing his form;
his appearance was never the norm.
Old Man of the Sea
the future did see
Predicting the tides and the stroms.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's more where all that came from... :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:10 pm

Happy birthday Steve!
Did you recieved a lot of presents?

(or did you give stuff away like the Hobbits do?) :cheers:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:18 pm

Wow, theremin... sounds like you got a great geekday going. (geek intended as not any type of insult - i freely admit I am the Lord Geek of Tolkien and Language for our senior class...) I am really totally not a science person, and when it comes to mathematics, the more abstract, (the more pure, as Kant would say - i knew i'd fnd something i liked about him) the better. Thus all labs are a pointless hell. When you get into more theoretical science, it's better, but Chemistry drove me insane. Love/hate relationship - i was completely fascinated by the order of the periodic table and all that, but then when we got into biochemistry with the property of alkanes, alkynes, alkenes, and all their family, i hated its insconsistency with a passion and it confused me to death. Physics i like more because it's more logic than experimental results. Applied math, i general don't like (like all those word problems and such), but math in its purest form, like Group Theory and Four Dimensions... ooh yeaah. :)
So Mole day is toward the bottom of the Grand Pecking Order, if you ask me. ;)

But if you want to know something really worth celebrating, today at 11:00 Frodo woke up in Rivendell after weathertop... ;)

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:12 pm

This little ditty is contributed by my husband, I refuse to take part in it, he only remembers the first verse:

"A mole is a unit, or have you heard?
Containing 6 x 10ˆ23
That's a six with twenty-three zeroes at the end
Not too big a number to comprehend..."

It is supposedly a song he learned as a wee lad in highschool chem class...they sang the song at and had a mole party with a cake and such.

I on the other hand, at the um, "quality" Christian school I attended, had to choose either Chemistry or Anatomy & Physiology, and chose the latter. I did this because there was less math involved, and I was terrible in math due to the fact that it was "taught" by our athletic director. I chose disecting human cadavers over doing math (at the time, it seemed the lesser of 2 evils). You can see how much I appreciate the education I recieved.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:13 pm

Reepicheep wrote:and I was terrible in math due to the fact that it was "taught" by our athletic director. I chose disecting human cadavers over doing math (at the time, it seemed the lesser of 2 evils). You can see how much I appreciate the education I recieved.
I had many coaches 'teaching' classes in my high school years, and English teachers who talked like red neck hicks. As a result, I ain't too smart.
S
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:16 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I had many coaches 'teaching' classes in my high school years, and English teachers who talked like red neck hicks. As a result, I ain't too smart.
Suddenly it all becomes clear, Steve... ;) jk

I love my geeky school. But how is it that you get athletic directors "teaching" math, and you still get to party on mole day? Doesn't that seem like something reserved for only those Elect Geeks who actually care? Or maybe it's just another excuse to eat food in class. *ding*

You know, come to think of it, even at a school as geeky as mine, a lot of the coaches teach. But I think it would be more proper to say that a lot of the teachers coach, because Mr. Cool Tolkien Expert Teacher Guy of our school also co-coaches the varsity soccer team, and he is definately not stupid... Nor are a lot of the other teacher coaches. But generally, our school is just.. unique.. like that. ;)

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:28 pm

Well,
the Mole Party occured at my husband's high school, anything that has to do with coaches teaching happened at my high school.

I must say though, our science teacher was one of the smartest people ever, as was the math teacher we finally got our senior year. I had always gotten c's and d's in math (and that was after taking the courses over again) and our new math teacher taught me a crash course in Algebra II in just 3 weeks and I got a B. It's amazing what a great teacher can do. I hate to bag on my school so much, we did have an EXCELLENT fine arts program..music, drama..it was great. And I loved having a small class..12 people, and almost 6 years after graduation..and we ALL still keep in touch..we were really close.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

flyingman

birthday

Post by flyingman » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:37 pm

happy belated b-day steve. i kind of thought that we had some strange similarities :cheers: ...my b-day is 11/5.

hope that we start streaming at the station soon. it would be great if we did before your dvd release. we could tell all of your friends from around the world to tune in. :D

really like your website. i will pass the word around more.

>>fm from the wall