"Non-Prog" Discussion

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

"Non-Prog" Discussion

Post by Reepicheep » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:39 am

I was just curious as to what kind of music GH fans listen to that would not be considered "Prog".
Just to start the discussion, I have grown up listening to the following:

James Taylor
Nanci Griffith
The Annie Musical (hee hee, but no-seriously, I know every word)
Amy Grant
Billy Joel
Oh, I also recorded a Debbie Gibson song when I was 6, but please don't hold that against me, or count her among my "greater influences"
:lol:

High School favorites:

The Cranberries
Sarah McLachlan
Sheryl Crow
Crystal Lewis
Lisa Loeb
Counting Crows
A brief infatuation with Bush
:oops:
No Doubt (You've gotta love Gwen's pink hair)
Anything that fell into the "Christian Punk/Ska" Genre
(Slick Shoes, Five Iron Frenzy, Ghotti Hook, some MxPx, etc.)
Ben Folds Five (HUGE piano influence on me)
Sting
Radiohead

College/up until now:

Caedmon's Call
Andrew Peterson
Jill Phillips
Derek Webb
David Wilcox
Sara Groves
Watashi-Wa (my friend's band)

Geez, there are so many..I was just looking through my iTunes for reference..and there are too many to name!
My all-time favorites remain, Sarah McLachlan, Caedmon's Call, James Taylor, and Nanci Griffith.
I'm interested to see other folks' musical likes!!
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:55 pm

Non Prog? :eyebrow:

Well, that depends on your defenition of prog. :lol: Well, thats besides the point. So...

I listen to a lot of classical, too much to name. I especially like the Baroque era, of which Bach is king. I love WTC, great stuff. I have beenm studying some of his fugues for my music theory lessons, which is very convenient, because I bought the entire score for WTC at the annual books sale for $2! :shock: I like Mozart and Beethoven, but not nearly as much as some other composers. Obviously, Johann de Meij is awesome, cot only did he write a symphony based on the Lord of the Rings, he also wrote it for concert band, not orchestra. There are very few goood large scale works actually written for band and not just ripped off of an orchestral piece. My sax teacher has gotten me into some more modern stuff recently, like Prokofiev, Debussy, and Ginastera (credit goes partially to ELP :D ). I am also very interested in Hindemith, especially his fugue cycle, Ludus Tonalis. Unfortuanately, there doesn't seem to be hardly any recordings of his beyond Mathis der Mahler and Symphonic Metamorphasis (were playing it in band later this year). I did find it on Amazon, so I'm ordering it with some christmas money. Wow, enough about classical, on to...

Jazz. My favorite jazz group is the Dave Brubeck quartet. The albums iI have of his (Time Out, Time Further Out, Jazz Impressions of Japan, and Brubeck Time) are great. Time Further Out is one of the quintessential Jazz albums. It explores many different time signatures that were never used in jazz before. Yu've brobably all heard Take Five (5/4) and Blue Rondo a la Turk (9/8) before; these are from Time Out. Time Further out takes the idea further and is, in my opinion, a much more interesting album. It has two songs in 3/4, one in 4/4, two in 5/4, one in 6/4, one in 7/8, one in 8/8, and one (maybe two) in 9/8. This is from memory, my copy is in the basement, so please be gentle in any corrections :lol: . The best song on this album is definitely the one in 7/8, Unsquare Dance. Each of the band members plays a different line, unlike songs like Take Five, where Brubeck plays the same piano riff every measure throughout the entire song to keep the rest of the band in line. It has an awesome rhythm and the last section quotes Turkey n the Straw in 7/8. Awesome! I can probably attribute my affection for prog in part to listening to Brubeck's atypical time signatures from early on. I also like Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderly, and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I picked up a Flecktones album at the local book sale for three dollars because of the name and it is great. A banjo driven, jazz fusion band, cool. I also like Mahavishnu Orchestra, but that is kindof prog anyway.

Most of the non-prog rock music that I listen to depends on what you call it. Is Pink Floyd prog? Some say so, myself included. Is Alan Parsons Project prog? Austin Powers said so (I really hate that movie, for the record) but nobody else does, I don't know. Other "borderline" bands: Queen, Styx (the new Styx album is definitely not prog), Jethro Tull (pretty good). Decisively non prog stuff that I like is pretty much limited to Radiohead, Chumbawumba's first album, the song Sunday Bloody Sunday (U2, because of the violin), and Stairway to Heaven (but not Led Zepplin). Wow, I feel like I'm forgettingg something, that list is so small. Whatever, I'll think of it later :D .
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:02 pm

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. Weird Al and They might be Giants are awesome!!! I forgot about them because the CDs are in my brother's room. That is pretty much all he listens to, although I'm getting him into Pink Floyd and Kansas. Weird Al is hilarious, and They Might Be Giant's songs are so strange, they are awesome, especially I Palindrome I, Particle Man, Istanbul, and Older, among others. But ESPECIALLY Birdhouse in Your Soul. Part of that song is my signature;

There's a picture opposite me
of my primative ancestory
who stood on rocky shores
and kept the beaches shipwreck free

What, were the narrator's parents lighthouses? I have no idea, and that is why it is so great! :lol:

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:19 pm

Hmmm.... I listen to rough mixes by Flo Paris :)
Also rough mixes by Eric Parker :)
When you're in the studio biz, you mostly listen to rough tracks.
I did get the ROTK sound track for Christmas - which I love!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:25 pm

I tend to break my musical tastes into three categories--vocal music, instrumental music, and ambient.

Last one goes first. It started when I discovered the syndicated radio programs "Music From the Hearts Of Space" and "Echoes." There was also a program called New Alternatives on WRAS (Georgia State University radio station). Between those three, I amassed a coupla hundred tapes. Mood music, I call it; it calms me. Pulling one of these tapes at random off the shelf, I see artists' names like Radhika Miller, Michael Manring, Pete Bardens (RIP), Shadowfax, David Gilden, Schonherz & Scott, Michael Pluznick, Kit Watkins, Daniel Blonchet, and Richard Burmer. Hearts Of Space programs tended to feature music that was thematically related.

Instrumental music covers ground like fusion and jazz. My fave practitioner of that genre is Steve Morse, who made his mark with the Dixie Dregs. Others include Jeff Berlin, Michael Manring, Dave Grusin, Albert Lee, Bjorn Lynne, The Magic Elf, Liquid Tension Experiment (think Dream Theater sans that godawful singer), John Scofield, and the Rippingtons.

Those two categories have only been of real interest to me since the mid-80s, though; prior, I had to listen to whatever radio put in front of me. Which, natch, leads us to vocal music. I grew up on what we'd now term classic rock; in high school I was way nuts for Supertramp. But, current faves include Toto, Jethro Tull, Loreena McKennitt, and Jimmy Buffett. I actually had to think hard on this, perusing my CD/tape/vinyl collections for stuff that wouldn't be considered prog.

An interesting side item is that the bassists who have influenced me over the years tended to fall into the categories of rock, pop, and some fusion, even though I listen to a great deal of prog. Maybe I'm too intimidated by those super-players to attempt to play much of their material--go figure.

Interesting discussion, Flo. Thanks.

johnc

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:21 pm

I just ordered my Hindemith CD, Ludus Tonalis. Yes! :D

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:34 pm

It's so interesting to hear from everyone!
Reading the posts has reminded me of "obvious" ones I left out..

A biggie: U2.. Okay, I admit part of it is that I used to have a huge crush on Bono..even though he's old enough to be my dad.

I too am a Loreena McKennit fan..(She sings 2 of my favorite poems.."The Lady of Shallot" and "The Highwayman".

And how could I forget the Jazz?? In college I was a Vocal Jazz Major (well, I started out that way anyway..didn't finish :oops: )
But, I listened to mainly female vocalists (with the exception of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"). My favorites were Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn..in fact my vocal instructor is from Chicago, and HIS vocal instructor was actually Sarah herself. Our Jazz Choir sang a lot of Michelle Weir arrangements..I really enjoyed it. Growing up, I remember my dad listening to a lot of instrumental Jazz (everything you could think of - he was a Jazz Guitarist) and my mom sang with him in night clubs (that was pre-Flo, though). Her trademark was the song "Summertime" so I did a rendition of the tune for a Jazz performance once.

I also forgot that I like to occasionally listen to gospel by folks like Fred Hammond..and Kirk Franklin..
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:10 pm

W00t!!!!! Weird Al!

Me, I have many tastes... I define them by what is "good music" i.e., thought went into it, it has a musical base that took a little more than 10 seconds thought, and has the ability to excite emotion and kindle my love of music.

This is a *really* partial list:

Any John Williams, Howard Shore, Jerry Goldsmith, David Arnold, Disney or Andrew Lloyd Weber, or James Horner Soundtrack

Phill Keaggy
Enigma
Seal
Enya
Moxy Fruvous <--- if you like Weird Al, you'll love them
Randy Stonehill
Dirty Vegas
Dvorak (Classical)
Camielle St Saens (Classical)
George Gershwin (Classical)
U2
Billy Joel <-- perfect since I love to play the Piano
Eric Clapton
Steven Curtis Chapman
Micheal W Smith
DC Talk
Delirious?
Dan Fogelburg <--- imagine my suprise @ listening to Longer ;-)
Electric Light Orchestra (could be considered Prog)
The Guess Who
Fleetwood Mac
Vanessa Carlton
Areosmith
Matchbox 20
Godspeed You Black Emporor (in 28 Days Later)
Live
Goo Goo Dolls
Cranberries
The Verve
Staind
Creed
Dido
Train
Five for Fighting
Alanis Morrisette
Dave Matthews Band
Eagles
Sting

I have at least one album from each of these.... I know I'm missing a TON.... but... lol =)
Last edited by Bnielsen on Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:12 pm

johnc wrote: Liquid Tension Experiment (think Dream Theater sans that godawful singer
Pardon? I happen to wish I could sing (at least as high) as him...
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:01 pm

I do spend some time listening to music that is not prog, though not too much lately. Here are some artists I really like, not in any particular order:

Dave Matthews Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Creed
Harry Connick Jr.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Allman Brothers
The Who
Iron Maiden
Deep Purple
The Canadian Brass
Manheim Steamroller
Dave Brubeck
Paul McCartney
Eric Clapton
Cheap Trick
The Police
Nat King Cole
Steely Dan
U2
ZZ Top
Beatles
George Harrison
Eric Johnson
Galactic Cowboys
Live
Soundgarden
And now for something completly different...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:06 pm

I have more varied, strange interests than most people I've met. I generally hate the popular, light rock, jazz, etc, and go for things that are original and different. I like just about everything BESDIES country, most hip hop, pop, gospel, r&b, and anything with what I consider an incredibly irritating vocalist. You've all heard the prog side - Glass Hammer, of course, Kansas second, Camel, etc etc.
BE FOREWARNED: This is a review of all my fav artists, and it's probably more than you ever wanted to know. But just in case you happen to be a fan of one of the specific areas...

PUNK:
Ok, yeah, I know it gets kind of old kind of fast, but everything in moderation. There's no sacred bond between the songs of most of the other albums i have besides GH, so I just throw all the various styles that are somewhat rockish into one mix, which gives me the nice flavor without the monotony.
Good Charlotte is ok, but they are too pop-like most of the time
Quite honestly, I haven't explored this genre much, since a lot of punk is way too pop-like (Blink 182 included)
Flogging Molly - I've heard a few of their songs, and this is Irish Punk. Like with the classic Irish fiddle and very Irish style... they're really strange. Different, but I haven't decided whether I like them.
:arrow: FAV: Yellowcard - not only do they stick to the more rock side of punk, rather than the pop side, but they throw in a violin, which is cool. They actually have some variation from the standard punk bands. Fav Songs: Breathing, Life of a Salesman

TECHNO/DANCE/TRANCE/ETC:
The trick is to get songs with some variation and uniqueness that aren't wayyyy too long and repetitive. That's hard to do.
Eiffel 65 has some classics - I like "Blue" a lot, and I like the instruments on "My Console", but overall they're pretty much the same and their lead vocalist is annoying
Martyn Benett, which I purchased at the excellent advice of Flo Herself is what she describes as "Irish Techno". It's a bit on the lighter side of technoish stuff, but it's really cool. Favorite song: Aye?
Andy Hunter - A somewhat small Christian artist, and I only have two of his songs from a compliation CD. It just so happens, though, that one of these songs, "Who is like you", got put on the Matrix Revolutions Trailer. Cool.
Juno Reactor I don't know much about them, other than what I've heard from the matrix. Those songs are so cool. Fav: Navras, which is technically Don Davis vs. Juno Reactor, starting with the piano and choir from Neodammerung and then going to a really cool techno beat with an arabic flair, and then coming together at once. you can heard it on the Revolutions Soundtrack at thematrix.com
:arrow: FAV: Darude: Ok, same story with most techno bands - they get kind of old and everything sounds the same. But I really like Sandstorm and Calm Before the Storm, and a few of the others.

CLASSICALISH:
Mostly this consists of soundtracks, bcause I'm really sick of the Mozart my sister always listens to when writing essays. :oops: But they're good soundtracks...
John Williams - I got the Phantom Menace soudntrack for the sole reason of the song "Duel of the Fates" (awesome song used during the lightsaber battle). I don't like the rest of it much. I like the end song that they sing during the victory celebration, but most of it just seems boring and unoriginal to me.
Howard Shore - I do love the elvish songs. Evenstar is still my all time favorite, followed closely by the vocal songs on Return of the King soundtrack, like Steward of Gondor, Twilight and Shadow, and others. I don't know that CD very well yet. But then other sections of the score I find really boring, like the song "White Rider" and I really hate the Isengard theme. It's supposed to be annoying, I know, but still.
?Tan Dun (i'm not quite sure if i got the name right) I have a live recording of the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra performing the "Crouching Tiger Concerto" (basically, when he wrote the soundtrack of the movie, he designed it so that it could be performed in a 40 minute piece with various movements). I actually got to go to that concert with my school - it was awesome. I really like it, but it has its weird moments with percussion. I've also heard some of his other work, which is pure eastern classical music, and it involved everything from a flute to tearing newspapers. It was really weird, and I didn't get it. So I prefer it when he mixes eastern and western, like the Crouching Tiger. (They use feedback from a michrophone in a long cardboard tube for part of it! It's so clever! The guy drums on the tube and then swings it suddenly toward the speaker, making the feedback noise, but directed through the tube... it's not easily described, but it was really awesome!)
Don Davis - Ok, so I don't have the CD, but you can listen to the whole thing online at the site. Anyway, I hate most of the orchestral score for the matrix, but the Agent Smith fight at the end of Revolutions ("Super Burly Brawl" as its called), in the song Neodammerung is SO COOL! The way they use the choir, and the piano... I love it. I don't want to get the whole album just for one song though. :( (even though i did that for star wars... but that was at a cheap discount second hand store.)
:arrow: FAV: Hans Zimmer - he wrote the soundtrack for Gladiator. I love how it takes western style music and weaves it with just a touch of eastern to make it really different and cool, especially with cool choirs. And I love how in the song "The Battle" you can hear the different themes clashing against each other, and I love how glorious "Elysium' and "now we are Free" and "Honor Him" sound. Good movie, good music.

RENIASSANCE/MADRIGAL:
Don't have much of this - clue me in if you can find more! Please! I know that I love almost all the madrigals I've ever heard, and I love many recorder pieces, and sacred hymns, but pretty much the only choral CDs I have are from colleges trying to recruit me. :(
Cantus My only choral CD - a male choir that's really good. They are very good, but none of the songs strike me as surprisingly excellent, and in general, i like female voices better than male voices. If you love male voices though, you will love them to pieces.
Rozmberk Consort Prague - most of this music is boring to me because it's got the crumhorns, but few recorders. There are two very rocking recorder songs, though, Heigh Ho Holiday and Galliard.
:arrow: FAV: Gryphon - I only have the album "Gryphon" but I love Pastime with Good Company and Kemp's Jig and the Juniper Suite. Awesome recorders. The vocals are a bit more doubtful, especially on "the devil ad the farmer's wife" and "the three jolly butchers", but oh well...

ROCK:
Aside from GH, this would probably be what I like to listen to most. I have lots of random assorted tastes.
dc Talk - popular Christian band - I'm pretty sick of the album Jesus Freak, because i used to listen to it way too much, but I have never gotten sick of the song Supernatural from the album Supernatural. Awesome bass.
Audio Adrenaline a more popular christian band (who barry knows, right?) They've been leaning toward more revival type of music this past album, but I still have favorites "lonley man", "mighty good leader" and "underdog"
Hoobastank - "Crawling in the Dark" is the rocky side, "Running Away" is on the lighter side, and everything else that falls in between is pretty much the same. I like the two extremes.
Sue Generis is a little local band with a lot of piano - I like the songs Same Angry Song and Justified, but the vocalist gets whiney sometimes and it's annoying
P.O.D. I just got one of their CD's a few days ago and haven't had time to listen to it much, but I do know that I like their songs "Sleeping Awake' and "Alive", even if most of their songs are very similar
Skillet another kind of little christian band with a really werid vocalist and frequenty lack of musical depth. But some of their songs are cool. You just get sick of them very easily. Favs: I Can, Dive Over In
System of a Down I cannot take these guys seriously, but the fact that they sing and rap like pirates (more in some songs than in others) provides endless amusement for my listening pleasure
Rammstein a very heavy german band. It cracks me up to be listening to some dude growl in german. It works very well for battle music when I'm writing stories. Fav: Tier, Feuer Frei, Rein Raus, Adios
Trapt I love Headstrong and Still Frame, but the rest is pretty much weird
Evanescence Ok, so most songs sound the same, but Bring Me to Life is awesome. I really like the fact that it's good rock with a female vocalist. That's not that common. I also like the songs Whisper and Taking Over Me.
:arrow: FAV: Linkin Park OK, yes, the lyrics are oftentimes whiney and annoying, but I don't listen to them because I'm an angsty youth trying to let out my emotions. I listen to them because I really like their unique musical style and variations, especially on their later albums, and because i think it's cool. I really hate it when they start screaming in the middle of their songs, though. It annoys me very very much. ¬¬ Fav songs: Papercut, Points of Authority Ppr:Kut, 1stp Klosr, Hit the Floor, Faint... I have a lot of favorites, so I'm stopping now

ANYTHING ELSE:
The Beatles Classic. Who doesn't like the Beatles???
U2 I am also a fan, especially of "Beautiful Day". Mysterious Ways would be my second kind
Enya too much can be annoying, but it's very soothing and relaxing music to listen to while doing homework. My favorites are Sail Away, May it Be, and Fallen Embers

That's all I can think of at the moment. I like other types of music, but I just don't have a CD, or I don't know anything about an artist who writes it, or that type of thing.
Last edited by Sam Gamgee on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:20 pm

Hmmm ... off the top of my head, I'd say:

Newsboys (definitely not prog!!!)
Good Charlotte
Dan Fogelberg
The Kry
Sting (altho some argue that he can sometimes be proggy)
The Police
Renee Fleming (See the RotK soundtrack)
Deep Purple
Meat Loaf
Cat Stevens
Mott the Hoople
Alice Cooper
Ralph Vaughan Williams (esp his choral music)
Handel
Brahms (esp his Requiem)
Aaron Copland
The Dale Warland Singers
Chanticleer
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Savatage
Vinx
Anything spoken by Garrison Keillor

That's by no means an exhaustive list of course :)

April

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:26 pm

I completely forgot abouit soundtracks... I love Hans Zimmer! The Gladiator soundtrack was the first CD I ever bought, no kidding. I had other CDs before it, but they were all presents. My second CD ever was Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and imagination, if anyone is interested. Although I forgot to mention it earlier (soundtracks...) I like Shore's work too. The Lord of the Rings stuff is all great, although I havn't gotten the third soundtrack yet. I also like the music from Signs, which he also wrote. I would never buy the CD, but I remember it struck me as very fitting for the movie. He doesn't do the whole leitmotif thing like in LotR, but it is very creepy, lots of pizzicato.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:29 pm

Also... Sam, you don't have any other Gryphon albums?!? Gryphon-Midnight Mushrumps is nothing compared to Red Queen to Gryphon Three-Raindance. It is so much proggier (is that a word?) and is awesome. Although the entirety of Red Queen to Gryphon Three is great, I think the best song on the album is Ein Klein Heldenleben. It rocks 8) !

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:45 pm

So much music I have to get! If I find a good priced one on half.com i'll buy it. So wait, are you suggesting raindance, red queen, or mignight mushrumps? Or all of them? In which order? (they're all gryphon, though, right?)

I can't wait til I can get a credit card. Right now whenever I want to buy music I wait until enough things pile up and then go bug my dad to order them for me. It will be so much easier (and more harmful to my bank account) if I could just do it myself! Only 1 more month, legally! :D
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly