"Non-Prog" Discussion

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:52 am

Chess was written by Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Anderson and Tim Rice. They allso had some very good musicans on that one. Janne Schaffer on Guitar Björn J-Son Lindh on flute Elaine Paige and Tommy Körberg singing and who don´t remember "One Night In Bangkok". Thats my favorite musical I just never managed to see it live on stage.
The world is smaller than you think!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:18 pm

I thought it was Bjorn and Benny. Neat stuff. I also like Weird Al's "One Night In Bedrock"-

"Bedrock- prehistoric city where the people don't know that they're on TV..."

:D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:45 pm

Wow, I do not have time for this right now. So just what's been played or thought of recently:

George Antheil
Arvo Part
Johann Sebastian Bach
Stravinsky
---
California Guitar Trio - their Christmas album isn't too proggy (GET IT!)
---
Steve Taylor
Phil Keaggy
Wyndnwyre (Celtic)
Herbie Hancock
---
and gobs of progressive music
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:04 pm

This is vaguely reminiscent of prog in many ways... but I'm still going to put it in the non-prog discussion.

So I kind of like power metal. I don't know why, because it's ugly, and it's cheesy, and I am well aware of that, but it's so epic and I'm really a sucker for that. Long whiney guitar solos are really not my thing either, but again, in spite of that, I still like it. But at the same time, I really really care about vocalists more than anything in music, because that's the only thing I really know anything about. And power metal generally has the horribly ugly screaming/whining/belting vocalists I can't stand. So I don't like power metal. Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth is Tolkien power metal, though, so even though I can't listen to it too much at a time, I really thoroughly enjoy it in the right mood. (Does this happen with anyone else? You really like music even when you are keenly aware of how ugly it is and you don't even know why you like it? It's just so weird. ...Not that being weird is out of character for me or anything... ;))

But there is a solution! Epic chick power metal! Yeah, I just got a Nightwish CD, and I really like it. It's so emo and dripping with melodrama at times, which is annoying, but she's got such a pretty voice, and the epicness of it all is really fun. I'm enjoying myself, at least. :)
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:38 pm

Why haven't I seen this yet??
Anyhow - moose, you and I have a lot of musical similarities! Here's my rough list of all the crazy stuff I love.

The Beatles - probably my favorite band
Dave Matthews Band
U2
Fleming and John
Mazzy Star
Third Eye Blind
Foo Fighters
Sunny Day Real Estate
Sheryl Crow
Dave Brubeck
Aaron Copeland stuff
Flaming Lips
Radiohead - which I consider to be some sort of progessive rock
The Turning - my brother's band, which may be signed with Michael W. Smith's label very soon.
The Cure
Cocteau Twins
Heart - don't laugh. I love them.
Journey - also don't laugh. I rock out to them on a nearly daily basis. Seriously, Fred and Steve can vouch for the fact that nearly every time I go to the studio, I tell them I'm listening to Journey in the jeep and they roll their eyes.
OAR - sometimes. I'm really warming up to them.
George Harrison - phenomenal. And I'm in love with his dead self.
Jewel - when I was like, in 4th grade. Really shaped the more sensitive side of me. Which I don't show. To anyone. :D
Peggy Lee - just her song Fever. I don't know anything else of hers.
Frank Sinatra
Miles Davis
Passion
Amy Grant -listened to her a lot growing up, not often by choice.
Chemical Brothers
Bjork - looooove her. Love her. Love her.

... That's what I've gotten so far.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:54 pm

I missed this topic as well. I have plenty of non-prog favorites which include:

Beatles
Paul McCartney/Wings
Stone Temple Pilots
Live
Nat King Cole (yes, really!)
Steeley Dan
Dave Brubeck
George Harrison
The Police
The Who
Classical - Bach, Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Mozart, Liszt, Handel, Betthoven,
Shubert, Mahler, Dvorak and a few others...
Chick Corea
Isao Tomita
Joe Satriani
Various metal -Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica, Dio
Eric Johnson
ELO
ZZ Top
Eric Clapton
The Allman Brothers
Cheap Trick
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Creed
U2 - pre "Achtung Baby"
Van Halen
Journey
Jimi Hendrix
Dave Matthews Band
Tesla
And now for something completly different...

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Since this thread has resurfaced, I looked at who I liked when I originally posted, but nothing has changed much.
My favorites are still my favorites, and who I consider to be my top 3:

Nanci Griffith
James Taylor
Sarah McLachlan-She will always be my favorite artist of all times, and if I had to pick only one person to listen to forever, it would be her.

Oh wait, I can't leave out Ben Folds Five...They're still at the top of the list.
I'm bad at keeping these lists short.

I still like Caedmon's Call, but since Derek Webb started his solo career, I've been listening to more Derek, and less Caedmon's. This makes sense in retrospect, because all of my favorite CC songs are the ones Derek sings. ha ha.

New additions to my favorites include:

Death Cab For Cutie
Rosie Thomas
Indigo Girls-How did I NOT know their music was so AMAZING?
The Shins and the entire Garden State soundtrack
Coldplay
The Perishers
Patty Griffin
Colin Hay, and almost all of the music that gets airplay on
Scrubs, or that is recommended in Zach Braff's blog,
which can be found here:

http://gardenstate.typepad.com/zach_bra ... en_state_/

Just starting to listen to:

The Finn Brothers
Sufjan Stevens

I'm addicted to iTunes. I LOVE it. I know most will abhor this statement, but I'm so tired of CD's, I don't like them, or storing them, or playing them. iTunes and my iPod are all I'll ever need!!!
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 pm

I guess I'm not into near as much non-prog as I thought, or as much as must of you, but here it goes:
1)King's X(not really prog)
2)Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
3)Jars of Clay
4)Third Day
5)Caedmon's Call(Reepicheep'sFave)
6)Charlie Peacock
7)Early U2
8)Bruce Honsby
9)Dave Matthews(in small doses)
10/Collective Soul
11)The Waiting
12)The Call
13)Chicago-are they prog? don't think so
14)Beatles
15)UFO
16)Michael Schenker Group(early)
17)Mike Stern
18)Dave Wekl
19)Anything with Dennis chambers-Niacin,Victor Wooten,Frank Gambale,etc.
20)Frank Gambale
21)Allan Holdsworh-prog,but mostly fusion
22)Bill Brufor-anything, incl. tradional jazz stuff,Earthworks,etc.
23)Steely Dan-GREAT!!!

Hey, thats alot more than I thought! Elwing-I still like Journey a little, and some Equinox-Gran Illusion era-Styx!!! there's more good non-prog music than I realized! Go Figure! David.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:07 pm

When I went back and read some of the other entries I realized how many I left off: I'm a HUGE Phil Keaggy fan-a phenomenal guitarist /singer-artist in or out of the CCM vein, also Galactic Coyboys,Randy Stonehill, Terry Tatlor/Daniel Amos/Swirling Eddies/Lost Dogs,The Choir,Deep Purple,Old Elton John,Cat Stevens,America,some Eric Clapton,Eric Johnson(Phenomenal live!),California Guitar Trio(Prog when they add Pat and Tony-but not by themselves).Ok-thats enough for now-oh yea, i like some bluegrass too!

ts_mpls

Post by ts_mpls » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:41 pm

No way! I just noticed this thread for the first time and was pretty surprised to see PFR mentioned! They came out of the church i grew up going to and i used to hang with all those guys. In fact, Joel Hanson used to be my guitar teacher back in junior high and high school and my mom gave him voice lessons!

Small world! :)

tim

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I didn't notice PFR either!
When I saw PFR play live, there was this new, virtually unheard of little band opening for them, called "Jars of Clay" LOL!!!

I still get Goldies Last Day stuck in my head.
We also had a PFR song played at our high school graduation.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Steph, I also like Nightfall in Middle Earth and I'm not much of a power metal guy, for the reasons you outline, but I'm a sucker for Tolkien rock. I do like some Scandinavian prog metal bands, especially Opeth, who are influenced by prog in general but also have their roots in death metal, which is not so much about searing guitar and voice but about growls! I'm also a fan of Norwegian metal band Enslaved who consider their music to be tied to the Viking/pagan traditions of their country's past.

Nanci Griffith is one of the finest singer/songwriter's on the planet. I've seen her live a couple of times and she's wonderful in that context too. Same for the Indigo Girls. Everytime I see them I come away wanting to say "Y'all" but I just can't pull it off with my California accent. James Taylor goes without saying. He's the master of the genre in many respects. Joni Mitchell is also a favorite of mine. Incredibly innovative artist, from her folk beginnings to the wonderful jazz influenced records of the mid-70's like Hejira, which is in my top 5 albums of any genre.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:33 am

If you like Opeth and Enslaved you should check out the Swedisch band Wolverine they started as a Death Metal band and have now moved in to Progressive Rockbut you can still hear moments of their past.
The world is smaller than you think!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:06 pm

Will do! Thanks for the pointer B.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:28 pm

theHermit wrote: I do like some Scandinavian prog metal bands, especially Opeth, who are influenced by prog in general but also have their roots in death metal, which is not so much about searing guitar and voice but about growls!
I have and love the one "non-growling" album by Opeth called "Damnation". It has this hauntingly beautiful sound throughout, really a great album. I've heard plenty of their other music, but I can't get past the growling, it really ruins it for me. And it bugs me because the lead vocalist has a really nice voice, but chooses those rediculous growls most of the time. If used sparingly and for effect, growling can actually work. His contribution to Ayreon's "The Human Equasion" proved that to me. But to hear it for the majority of the vocals is too much to take. There is something cartoonish about the whole growling thing.
And now for something completly different...