Rush

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Rush

Post by Theremin » Wed May 19, 2004 7:33 pm

Has anyone ever seem Rush live? I'm going to the Rush concert in Chicago on June 5 with a friend. Is anyone else seeing them on this tour? Just wondering...
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Rush

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed May 19, 2004 9:43 pm

Theremin wrote:Has anyone ever seem Rush live? I'm going to the Rush concert in Chicago on June 5 with a friend. Is anyone else seeing them on this tour? Just wondering...
I've seen the several times, but it has been many years. I actually saw them do the Cygnus X1 "Farewell To Kings" show on the front row!!!!!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Wed May 19, 2004 9:53 pm

I saw them for the first time on the Moving Pictures tour back in '81, went through an eight-year drought, then picked up in '90, and have seen them once on each tour since then. Seven times in all.

They'll be playing in Atlanta on August 1. That'll be a first for me--seeing them at an outdoor show.

johnc

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:30 pm

what do you all think of Rush's newer stuff, i have heard some of it, in particular Vapor Trails, and i still prefer the older material
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:32 pm

I don't have any Rush from after Hold Your Fire. I do, however, have a Chronicles video I got from a flea market a week ago for $2. They played some of their newer stuff at the Tweeter Center. It was pretty good and all; i mean it was Rush, but it wasn't nearly as good as their older stuff. Personally, my favorite Rush albums are A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. I havn't heard anything before 2112, except for the song Fly By Night. My favorite Rush song of all time, however, is Losing It from Signals. I knew they would never do it on their tour though, because I knew they couldn't scare up the violinist for just one song! Well, its nice to have yet another Rush fan on the board! :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:04 am

I've never seen them live but I have quite a few CDs and a friend of mine who's a total Rush freak lent me the Rush in Rio DVD which is excellent.

The best thing on it for me is "O Baterista" (sp?). Neil Peart is a phenomenon! I was trying to think of what his technique on this piece (and indeed throughout the whole show) reminded me of and then it struck me...Think Neo at the end of the first Matrix movie where he parries all Smith's efforts as if he wasn't even there. The detachment combined with total concentration borne of immense ability and years of practice.

Peart is THE ONE :D

Anyhoo, I'm off to see Rush with said freak in Glasgow in September and I'm looking forward to it immensely!

"Attention All Planets of The Solar Federation!" :alien:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:17 pm

yea, farewell to kings is a great album

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:08 am

johnc wrote:They'll be playing in Atlanta on August 1.
Today's the day, baby. :D :D :D
DruidsGlass wrote:what do you all think of Rush's newer stuff, i have heard some of it, in particular Vapor Trails, and i still prefer the older material
Vapor Trails I just cannot get into...and I've been trying for two years. To my ears it sounds too much like modern rock. No synthesizers, no guitar solos.

On the other hand, that must've been the idea. A pal once mentioned in passing "Rush has always done what's popular at the time." Once I'd cogitated on it, the statement began to make sense. In the late 70s, we have prog's heyday; here's Rush making spacey, Floydian music. In the mid 80s, new wave's synth-heavy style was still going strong; here's Rush relying heavily on sequencing. Come the 90s, keyboards all but disappear from pop; here's Rush, going back to writing all its music on guitar and bass.

johnc

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:12 am

omg...i never saw that...dude, the wise man hath spoken... :cheers:

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:13 am

That's true to some extent, but I don't think it has ever been because they follow trends. I think they do tend to pick up influences from what's going on around them, like Peart sounding a bit like Stewart Copeland on the early 80's albums. But generally I think they just get bored with things in a timely fashion. I think they had a genuine interest in getting more basic in the early 80's that just happened to time out with the rest of the world's boredom with progginess (remember Genesis and Yes went the same way at the same time as well) and I think that's why the synths are gone now; they just got over them finally. Synths in rock has been dead since the early 90's anyway, so really Rush is a little behind.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Rush is my favorite band. I have tickets to see them August 3rd at the Nissan Pavilion here in the D.C. Metro area. I got their "Rush in Rio" DVD for Christmas... it really changed my musical life. I got to see up close how the members of the band worked together up on stage, how they did what I hear them do on their albums.

Geddy's bass work is ALWAYS amazing... I've always known that. But seeing him doing it live on my TV screen is something else. Same with Neil Peart; I love seeing drummers solo because of all the complex rhythms you can come up with. You get a serious groove going, it's all the better. Seeing "O Baterista" on the Rush in Rio DVD was really great.

August 3rd... I cant wait!
-Ryan
"Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
I'm only here for the beer!"

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:38 pm

Hey Ryan, good to have you here! Yes, we bandmembers do hang out here. :) The important ones, anyway. :P Rush In Rio is a great disk. It has just as much energy as they did back in the day... the first time I saw Ruch live (I HATE to admit this) was in 1980 (Permanent Waves) and I think Steve went to see them on the Hemispheres tour. Yeah, we're old :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:37 pm

lol, fred, ya know, if you stop talking about it we just might forget that ;)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:25 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Hey Ryan, good to have you here! Yes, we bandmembers do hang out here. :) The important ones, anyway. :P Rush In Rio is a great disk. It has just as much energy as they did back in the day... the first time I saw Ruch live (I HATE to admit this) was in 1980 (Permanent Waves) and I think Steve went to see them on the Hemispheres tour. Yeah, we're old :D
Sorry Fred but it was one year earlier at the Farewell To Kings show - FRONT ROW!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:00 pm

front row? :cry: you make me sad steve...actually i probably would have prefered like 5th row because then you don't have to look up as much. but what i would've really liked was to be on the outside of a row on the floor during the Yes in Atlanta concert last april...Jon Anderson walked around the floor while he was singing...