remember the husks?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

thomas_the_husk

remember the husks?

Post by thomas_the_husk » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:41 pm

tell me, steve.

do you remember us poor husks that were there back in the beginning? those of us who stood with you behind that waldenbooks cashwrap much like armored guards would keep watch on a snowy tower? your fellow retail slaves who found their fun and jollies through selective pestering of the seething onslaught of foul mallrats?

nine years later and i have to say that it is mighty good to see that you and mr. schendel are more successful than you might've ever imagined. it makes me proud to have my name in the thank you list of the original journey of the dunadan album. do you still have tape of those ridiculous commercials my roommate and i tried to put together in your den? i know i had a copy of my own, but too many moves and too much time has misplaced it.

so hey... congratulations, my friend. it's almost like you knew that a tolkien renaissance was imminent, and now you've got a tremendous groundswell to ride into your own personal valinor.

still a husk,

thomas l. strickland
http://www.grabbingsand.com
atlanta, georgia

Jules

mall

Post by Jules » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:44 pm

I also worked at that mall. Ahhh...the "good" old days....

I worked at the now-defunct Kenney Shoes. :D That store is to blame for my shoe addiction. :oops:

thomas_the_husk

Post by thomas_the_husk » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:05 pm

if you're going to go for shoes, it's best to start with kinney.

i worked with steve at the store on the upper floor of hamilton place. number 1528, i believe. the work day consisted mostly of fielding questions about the new john grisham book, keeping kids out of the "sex book" section and defending the store's right to carry playboy behind the counter.

in retrospect.... it was really kinda fun. kinda.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:14 pm

Yep, I remember that Walden Books. That's how Steve and I met and then as a cruel joke he stuck me in that freaky outfit for that dang video! lol!

The shoe store was my after school job while I was in high school and first couple of years of college (before I transferred to GSU). That was the very early 1990s. I think that space is now a Gymboree.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

I do remember...

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:35 am

Hey Thomas (and Julie again),
When I saw yesterday that Thomas the Husk had signed in (yet not posted), Julie (my wife) and I both had a good laugh. (at your 'husk' reference, not at you).
What we do not remember is - how did 'husk' come about. Something Fred said once that stuck? I can recall it not!
So, yes! I can never forget my mall days. Were you there when Oprah pushed "Bridges Over Madison County"? Do you remember questions like ... "I seen a book on Oper yesterday. I believe it was a green book. Do you have that book?" Of course book is pronounced "bu-ahk". Bu as in boo, ahk as in tock".
Do you remember, "My son needs a copy of Rogay's Thorus?" And I suggested that she pick up a pronunciation guide as well. And this whole affair turned into "Mt. Thorus", a famour volcanic erruption which occurred in the Tennessee Valley. Which of course set off rumors that Lookout Mountain could go up as well?
And Julie - I liked your outfit best of all. I have the out takes of you trying your best to pull that sword out and laughing every time. You never quiet managed it!
These were truly the golden days of GH!
Steve :P
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

thomas_the_husk

Post by thomas_the_husk » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:49 pm

and do not forget the shady high school boys, usually dressed in black and sporting horrific acne, that would come in and skulk around then approach the counter to ask that so subversive question:

"you guys got a copy of the necronomicon?"

which we never did. we'd have to special order it. then once it came in, i had the sadistic task of calling the boy's house to let him know. only it was never the kid that answered, but usually his mother. and i'd calmly tell her that her son's specially ordered book was now in stock.

"which book?" she'd ask.

"oh, the necronomicon, ma'am," i'd reply.

"necra-what? what kind of book is that?"

"it's the book of the dead, ma'am. rumoured to be of use in satanic rituals and sacrifices."

"WHAT?!?" :click:

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: remember the husks?

Post by johnc » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:06 pm

thomas_the_husk wrote:do you remember us poor husks that were there back in the beginning? those of us who stood with you behind that waldenbooks cashwrap

thomas_the_husk wrote:and do not forget the shady high school boys, usually dressed in black and sporting horrific acne, that would come in and skulk around then approach the counter to ask that so subversive question:

"you guys got a copy of the necronomicon?"

which we never did. we'd have to special order it. then once it came in, i had the sadistic task of calling the boy's house to let him know. only it was never the kid that answered, but usually his mother. and i'd calmly tell her that her son's specially ordered book was now in stock.

"which book?" she'd ask.

"oh, the necronomicon, ma'am," i'd reply.

"necra-what? what kind of book is that?"

"it's the book of the dead, ma'am. rumoured to be of use in satanic rituals and sacrifices."

"WHAT?!?" :click:

oh, man...::busting a gut laughing::...that's a scream!!

It's fitting I should read that at this time, because I mentioned to a co-worker of mine a few days ago, "I'm goin' ga-ga over a band called Glass Hammer. Ever heard of 'em?"

His response? "Dude! I used to work with Steve Babb at a bookstore in Chattanooga, about ten years ago!"

Truly, no thought exists alone in this world.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:48 pm

Woah!!! Creepy! I have enver met anyone in real life who had actually heard of glass hammer (besides my dad, who told me) without me explaining it to them until i met susie, flo, bethany, and a minute later, steve and eric. And then I saw a bunch of Glass Hammer fans giving clapping and cheering and that was cool. Online, though, this forum was pretty much the first place ever to meet GH fans. Of course, I'm from MN where there are relatively fewer, simply because of its distance from GH's geographical center... but still! that's so cool!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:21 am

johnc wrote:
His response? "Dude! I used to work with Steve Babb at a bookstore in Chattanooga, about ten years ago!"

Truly, no thought exists alone in this world.

Say hey to Thomas for me! I guess that's who you mean?
Welcome to the forum. New music is on the way! :D
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:07 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Say hey to Thomas for me! I guess that's who you mean?
Welcome to the forum. New music is on the way! :D
Steve

Thanks for the welcome, Steve! It's nice to belong to a fan forum where the bandmembers are so active! :) I foresee discussions of the Low End.

More new music, eh? After I've already got Chronometree and LR coming in the mail, and may well want to pick up more of the back catalog? You'll overload me!! I'll drown in a Glass sea of Hammer-in' music!! AIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :D :D :D

The guy's name is, not Thomas, but William.

johnc