Anime Fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anime Fans?

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 pm

Hey, anyone up for some absolutely free (and legal) anime fansub downloads? I like anime, though I haven't seen much, but there might be some of you who are interested in this. (I know Elrabin likes Princess Mononoke, or at least Yakul, judging by his avatar...) A lot of anime series just lack the popularity in America for people to liscence their translation, so fansubs made of them are free. Or something. The list od these is bewilderding, here it is. http://www.animesuki.com/ Just an interesting link in case anyone cares.

(Oh, any by the way, if you have ever seen anything remotely connected with Sailor Moon, the Sailor Moon Live Action series is HILARIOUS! Low budget, poor quality, bad CGs, really really bad quality wigs, etc - it's so funny! Anime is just not meant to be filmed with real actors...)
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:38 am

We have a few anime movies in our DVD collection:

-Akira -> classical!
-Ninja Scroll -> very cool!
-Ghost in the Shell -> MMmhhh nah
-Final Fantasy -> amazing!!!!!! Everyone should watch this!
-Metropolis -> again MMmhhh not sure.

I used to watch Capitaine Flam when I was younger, and oh yes: Albator too.
Those were the first manga cartoons we could see on TV in Europe.

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:13 am

My young son loves Pokemon, and we continue to collect the series. Gotta admit, it's nice to share a hobby with your child and Pikachu is the coolest :D

I guess with the movies, the USA are now caught up to Pokemon 6 "Jirachi Wish Maker" (the translation of the name in Japanese was "Wishing Star Of Seven Nights" which I think sounds much nicer), and Pokemon 7 comes out in Japan this month.

Wonder if someone will post that movie at this site after it's release? Thanks for the link, I can use it to keep an eye out for this :)

Dean

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:15 am

Good amine is hard to find but it's out there. In addition to the previous, theres:

Cowboy Bebop (amazingly good)
Patlabor I and II (the movies, not the show- good giant robo type stuff)
Spirited Away (much better than Mononoke- just IMO)
Wings of Honneamaise (haven't seen it in a while but liked it)
Grave Of The Fireflies (one of the heaviest films ever, animated or not!)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:28 am

I also remember a show that I like when I was younger called "Star Blazers" (aka "Space Cruiser Yamato").

Just saw a neat page for this show at http://www.desslok.com/

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:06 pm

And we can't forget about my neighbor Totoro! It was originally released as a double feature with Grave of the Fireflies (good, good mive). So you got your super happy and your super sad stories of two siblings... I also have a fondness for Records of Lodoss War series which, though it suffers from horrible English voice actors, is kind of interesting. Apparently it was based off of the director's D&D campaign or something... (Sorry, Michael, no Druids. There's an elf shaman though...)

I must say that my favorite anime sequence ever is in Spirited Away - the thrashings of the wounded dragon. That is SO COOL! The whole Cowboy Beebop movie is also really good... Seriously, my eight-year old brother is the male version of Ed. Except slightly less rubbery.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:26 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote: I also have a fondness for Records of Lodoss War series which, though it suffers from horrible English voice actors, is kind of interesting.
That was an odd series. I thought every alternate episode was really good, and the ones in between were terrible. never saw the second series.

Haven't seen Totoro either, but apparently Disney is putting out an un-mangled version next month.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:39 pm

Un-mangled? Wait, is this them reanimating the story, or are they putting out the same movie with some adjustments? What?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:01 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Un-mangled? Wait, is this them reanimating the story, or are they putting out the same movie with some adjustments? What?
No, I mean Disney had a reputation for cutting and redubbing a lot of the anime they had licensed in the past, and not offering the original language tracks, things like that. But fan outrage has led to them being more careful. That's what I meant- unmangled, i.e. not screwed up.

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:48 am

cowboy bebop is about the only anime i can watch...iono y...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:52 pm

How didn't I see this thread before?

I really love Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a PROG anime! So unpredictable and original, even with the comercial stuff on the beggining. (Imagine that 2 songs on old prog discs that played on radio)

I'm getting started on some nice manga, like Dr. Slump and Fullmetal Alchemists.
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:00 am

OK, ok, ok ok ok ok ok.

Beffany luffs anime.

Bebop is my favorite. The music, the characterization depth and the overall art and fighting styles are phenomenal.

If you want wierdness and pretty art and symbolism through and through, go for Revolutionary Girl Utena. My second favorite anime ever. The series is strange and I prefer the manga and the movie, but definitely a shojo anime!!

Now, if you like pretty boys and pretty girls and beautiful art, the ladies of CLAMP can't be beaten. The plot, the art, the series X-1999 is pretty good. Lots of symbols in this one too. Its a great manga series, and a very pretty anime series. Its borderline shojo-shonen, so if you can go either way, this one rocks. Lots of gore, too, fyi.

Stand alone movies that rock : Ghost in a Shell, The Last Unicorn (old school!), Galaxy Express 999 (uber old school!), Ninja Scroll, Mononoke Hime. Mononoke Hime is beautiful.

Other series to check out : FLCL, also called Furi Kuri and/or Fooly Kooly, Hellsing, Ah! My Goddess if you're a silly girl like myself, GTO (this one's manga, but really funny.), Blue Submarine No.6 (if you like a healthy mix of anime and computer graphics!), OUTLAW STAR (not awesome, but overall really good! How could this one be so low in my memory?), the Animatrix, and some might like Vampire Hunter D and the new Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust., ooh, and Serial Experiment Lain, Vampire Princess Miyu...
That's really all I can remember at the moment. My brain's kaput. :cry:
Who do you think I'll be without you?

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:14 am

Oh. And here's a test. Because I'm addicted.
It's "Which Bebop Song is Your Theme Song?"
It actually has good music. I suggest you get the MP3 of your results. ^_^

http://www.moonlotus.net/themesong/themesong.html
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:15 am

I only merely took a dip into it when I saw Dragonball Z and Pokémon.

Nowadays, I still see anime on programs like Adult Swim. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, Dragonball/Z/GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, Lupin the 3rd... they're all entertaining, and I enjoy watching them.

There are some animes that I just cant get in to, though... those are the ones that like come on at 3 or 4 AM because no one else wants to watch them. Hell... I dont even want to watch them, I'm just always up that late!

(Gone are the days that I'd wake up at 9 AM to watch DBZ... gone are the days that I'd wake up at 9 AM... period!).
-Ryan
"Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
I'm only here for the beer!"

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:10 am

What ever happened to Ronin Warriors, that's the only one I was ever into.

But I did see a good movie last semester that a friend of mine had, that was Princess Mononoke. I was reluctant to watch it at first but it was good.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen