Anime Fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:31 am

only anime movie i've seen (i dont really classify it as anime though...) is Final Fantasy...and i think that's a great movie...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:58 pm

I really want to watch Cowboy Bebop, but it doesn't go on brazilian tv... :(

N.P.: Mei (part II), Echolyn

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:02 pm

The last post is mine :P
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:18 pm

lol, kinda forgot to sign in there.... :lol:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:15 pm

What's the deal with these Cowboy Beebop songs now, Bethany? They're just songs, nothing having to do with characters, is that it? Apparently mine is "Road to the West" and I'm a poetic loner. *phew* For a minute I thought it said a poetic loser. That would be no fair! The computer isn't supposed to know that! ;)

Wow. You want to be really really freaked out? Download the Sailor Moon Musical '98. I almost laughed until I cried for the first song, but then it goe progressively creepier and around the 5th favorite song or so I just couldn't take any more. ;) *shudder* Oh, man, this stuff is terrible! it's hilarious!!
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:55 pm

your last statement in generally why i avoid it...lol, poetic loser?

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:21 am

Steph - Bebop is known for its ultimately awesome famous composer, Yoko Kanno. The music is fabola and they all represent different moods captured in the anime. So, Road to the West is one of Spike's songs. But it doesn't tell you that, its just something you have to know from watching the series eightteen times. ^_^ Anyway... the songs are actually related to the characters, like "Goodnight Julia", one of the most beautiful songs (if not the most) in the series, is for Julia, the golden, enigmatic lost love of Spike... so yeah. The songs are directly related to characters... that's what's up with the music. :D
Sailor Moon musical 98? Any of those that I have seen I just lose it. The music is awful, the costumes are worse... and the acting takes the cake.
: D Take the test!
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:02 pm

Theres a movie floating around on the net that features Kansas' 'Dust In The Wind' with clips put together from Cowboy Bebop.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:22 am

Bethany doesn't lie- the music in Bebop is as integral to the show as the music in Pulp Fiction, or even the music in 2001.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:20 am

DruidsGlass wrote:your last statement in generally why i avoid it...lol, poetic loser?
Steph, you sure it didn't mean pathetic loser? :P :wink: uh oh, better hide from the flying objects now.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:11 am

Shhh! King, I'm trying to go undercover here, and you're not helping! ;)

Could anyone here tell me about Inuyasha? Is it any good? i've never seen it, only heard about it.

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:08 pm

Inuyasha - fan boys love it for the action, fan girls love it for the bishonen (pretty boys). The plot isn't half bad, either... if you can ever find then end of it. Oh, that's right, it doesn't exist yet. -cough- Anyway. The half demon (Inuyasha's mother was a human, his father a demon, and the demon part of him is a dog demon..) was once in love with Kikiyo (or whatever), the high Shinto priestess of a fuedal town that protected the villagers from demons, ect. Blah blah blah. She and Inuyasha were in love. Naraku ( I think?) caused some major discord between the happy couple, making them think each had turned on the other. So Inuyasha gave Kikyo a mortal wound, and Kikyo pinioned Inuyasha to the tree with one of her priestess arrows. Fast forward to Kagome's time (that's the girl in the mini-school girl skirt and the bike), who finds Inuyasha and gets him down from the tree. Kikyo's sister (whose name I don't remember because I didn't find it important at the time) is now a haggard old woman who gives Kagome some necklace to be able to control Inuyasha to a miniscule degree - when he gets out of hand, she can tell him to sit, and like a dog, he does.
Soo... Kagome gets pulled into some old well at the shrine and she and Inuyasha embark on a quest to recover all these purple jewel shards that when combined will do something cool. I think when they all combine Inuyasha can become a full human (he was going to do this for Kikyo so they could be together always... aww.). So they encounter the monk with the beads around his hand (whose name I don't remember) and Sango, the chick with the overly dramatic pink eyeliner. Personally, I think pink eyeliner makes you look like you have pink eye. But I digress. SO - they meet an enemy, Inuyasha's full demon half brother. He's a bishonen with something fluffy draped around him. Inuyasha gets his sword, which is the brother sword to his brother's sword... but then Naraku, the guy that caused all the trouble for the demon dog in the beginning, shows up again. He causes more trouble, and drags the series out at least another twenty episodes.
Anyway. There are like six or some odd number of Inuyasha movies, there may or may not be a definite end to the series in the future, and Kagome is the reincarnation of Kikyo, and Inuyasha can't decide who to love because Kikyo comes back... And that's all I've retained so far.
Here's some fan links that will tell you what I just did in more detail. Whee!
http://animeyume.com/iyspoilers.html
http://animeboards.com/archive/index.php/f-154
http://animeworld.com/readerreviews/inuyashatv.html

Ok, now my head a-splode.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri May 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Ok, time for a Bleach rant!!!

Bleach has to be the most FLIPPIN AWESOME anime I've ever seen. It's not yet liscensed in the US, which means it's perfectly free (and legal) to download the fansub from http://www.animesuki.com (look for it under "series"). Compared to even the anime you see on TV or at the movie store, this is just incredible.

First of all, the art is beautiful. It has the clean look of Full Metal Alchemist with the detail of Spirited Away - and the eyes especially are gorgeous. Let me demonstrate with pictures:

Kurosaki Ichigo
Image Image

Kuchiki Rukia
Image Image

Inoue Orihime
Image Image

Yoshida Uryuu

Kuchiki Byakuya
Image Image

Stunning! Aren't they just beautifully done?

On top of the beautiful animation, the story is engaging, and the fighting is freaking incredible. Monsters, Guys with swords, spears, spears that turn into three part spears or back into swords,... See, the basic premise of the story is that Kuchiki Rukia, a death god, gets wounded trying to stop a monster from killing Kurosaki Ichigo, a human with high spirit power. So to save both of them she gives him her death god powers, and so he takes on the job of part time death god for awhile (death god's job is basically to rid the world of souls that linger on earth long enough to become monsters). As the series goes on, Rukia gets in trouble from the other death gods in Soul Society (kind of heaven) because what she did is a serious crime, and so they take her away. Then Ichigo and his friends have to rescue her, so they go to Soul Society and start to fight the death gods.

Now the freaky thing about death Gods is that all of them have special swords called "Soul Slayers", and with two words, this sword can turn from its ordinary appearance to a whole new weapon (anything from a spear to throwing stars to freaky lengthening bladesm etc.) So you never really know what's going to happen when the fight starts. And then you have death god captains, who are even more freaky... Byakuya, the guy with gray eyes up there, moves so fast you can't even tell he moves at all. Ichimaru Gin doesn't quite show off the extent of his powers to the same degree, but he's just freaky because he just looks so psychotic - he's always got a squinty-eyed smile on his face. Even when attacking:

Image Image Image

Aren't you just scared of him?

Anyway, on top of awesome animation, interesting plot, and incredible fight scenes, character delopment is so well done. They really focus on everyone's little quirks, like Uryuu, for instance (dude with glasses up there). He's a kind of stuck up nerd, but you can tell he's kind of insecure by the way he always pushes up his glasses (how many animators pay attention that people always push up their glasses?) - and he's in sewing club, fixing stuffed animals with the same dramatic animations sequences as people fighting. it's awesome! And then there's orihime, who pretends to be really ditzy, but she's usually the only one who actually understands what's going on... I could go on, but I probably should get back to work instead of rambling longer...

But Bleach rules! Download it!
Last edited by Sam Gamgee on Mon May 23, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri May 13, 2005 4:36 pm

Schweeeet! I missed this thread up until now. I'll download this when I get home.

I agree with Fred in that I prefer Spirited Away to Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away is wonderful, as is My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Porco Rosso, all Miyazaki films. That d00d abides! Looking forward to seeing his latest Howl's Moving Castle, based on the fantasy novel of the same name.

I'm also a big fan of Vash the Stampede. My son and I spent hours last summer watching those. Vash rules!

I also agree that Grave of the Fireflies is heavy, but a must see. I never knew that thing played on a bill with Totoro! Talk about diametrically opposed, but I imagine that was the point.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri May 13, 2005 4:41 pm

Speaking of Vash, http://www.aniumemusicvideos/com has an awesomely edited video of the Cowboy Bebop team chasing down Vash for a bounty of something like 60,000,000,000 - it's called "Tainted Donuts", and it's just awesome.

Another good unliscensed series is Ragnarok. Very different from the manga, from what I gather (haven't read it), but it's pretty good. Although the maniacal laughter of three main bad guys in particular gets really old. It takes up about half of each later episode.... :roll:

Oh, and no one on this thread has mentioned Dragon Half yet - hilarious!!! Bleach is the overall most awesome anime I've seen, but Dragon Half is the most hilarious. Unfortunately there's only two episodes... :(