Anime Fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri May 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I'll check that link out. Thanks Sam!

I love how donuts kept coming up in Trigun-Vash.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri May 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Hey Sam, that does look way kewl. I will be checking it out too.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Fri May 13, 2005 9:59 pm

Sam has to hold weird anime night things with her old 7th grade groupies who are now 8th graders from my school.... We have the weirdest girl class ever.... I'm not trying to sound like a 1st grade boy with cooties and all, but.... there are like.... 5 girls that are normal, the rest are kinda.... crazy and disturbing a little. Yea........
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sat May 14, 2005 7:31 am

I thought anime was pretty much Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, until I met my friend Katy this year at college. She's a big anime fan and goes to lots of anime conventions.

I think the first anime that I watched with her was the Cowboy Bebop movie-- I liked that one. Then The Castle of Cagliostro (a Lupin III movie-- pretty clean unlike the series, Katy told me.), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (my favorite!), Oh! My Goddess, and last night we stayed up till one watching Outlaw Star episodes.

So I'm beginning to appreciate the style now. :P But I'm sad that Katy isn't coming back next year. :cry:

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sat May 14, 2005 12:09 pm

O green goddess on a cracker.

Sorry, I had to say that. That was from a "Dharma and Greg" episode, it was quite funny.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Sun May 22, 2005 4:45 am

currently trying to download and watch:
bleach, got 1-10 already but the big 11-20 download takes to long :(
naruto, it has like 130 episodes at the moment and I am waiting for 5 dvd's from a friend... 1-125 straight :P
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun May 22, 2005 11:15 am

Bleach 11-20 is where it just starts to get good... :mrgreen: Yay Ishida!!!! I think, though, it's quicker to download episode at a time. That's what I found for 21-30, at least, but maybe that was because I was downloading when they were still fairly new. I don't know. I don't really get these downloading rates... normally I'm only at like 3 or 4 kb/sec... :P

Naruto 1-125?? Crazy!!! I'm not much of a Naruto fan personally - saw the first 2 or 3 episodes before it was liscensed and decided it just wasn't my kind of humor. BUT there's a really well done spoof on Naruto + Matrix Trailer = the Narutrix!!
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=47060

"Surprised to see me?"
"And now he's found a way to copy himself..."
"You mean there's more of him?"
"A lot more..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to be registered on this site, but it's definitely a site worth registering for. :)

Ah, and if you can't tell from my new av, I really like Hellsing. Would not recommend to anyone younger than 17, and would not recommend to anyone who is squeamish, because it's kind of bloody, but it's fun. And I especially like its unique animation style. I really like my new av. Heeheehee....
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Sun May 22, 2005 11:52 am

I am trying to download the movie now..
forgot I was also watching Law of Ueki.
not a real 'WOW LOOK AT THAT' anime but funny.
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:31 am

*Plug*
Ok, seriously, if you were meaning to download bleach, but haven't gotten around to it yet, you are missing out. That last episode.... :cackle: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: Well, I can't spoil it, but it just gets better every week!!

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:06 am

[Sam Says:] Shhh!!!! *Edit Edit* You can't tell! Don't ruin it for other people! It was the attack of someone rather though that had me surprised... Now after seeing episode 41 watch the ending theme song for... I think it was 32? Maybe 21. I think 32. WAAH!! You can learn so many spoilers from those ending sequences! Like... Ichimaru's eyes are BLOOD RED! And he does actually have them![/Sam Says]

^sounds strange :wink:

btw: i have resently saw Elfen Lied and am now downloading Berserk..
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:37 am

Is Elfen Lied good?

Oh, everyone, you have to watch KOGEPAN!!! It's a show entirely about... a burnt piece of bread. Not kidding. Ten 5 minute episodes. It's bound to be the most stupid 50 minutes you've ever seen - you won't regret it! Haha!

Oh! Speaking of stupid - if you want to see something weirder than any Gilliam animation, weirder than any trippy Beatles movie - watch Cat Soup. It's a half hour long, and NONE of it makes any sense at all. Like in 5 minutes you will have more trippy insanity than in a whole episode of straight Gilliam. (i'm sure a lot of that has to do with a culture thing, and we're just compeltely not familiar with eastern symbolism). It is definitely stranger than I ever could have conceived of. Which makes it pretty funny!!

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Elfen Lied=AWESOME! kinda depressing, VERY violent, lots of eviscerations...someone loses a head every other scene...i loved it...
if you watch it and like it you can check out Chobits (little violence much drama/humor) or one i found on my school network called Midori no Hibi (little bit of violence, very little blood, mostly drama/humor) or Love Hina (drama/humor) or Onegai Teacher (drama but quite funny imo)

anyway, back to the reason i posted here. i'm glad someone pulled this back up...when i first posted I hadn't been to college yet...since then i've found that I love anime (am following Naruto and Bleach). i am also trying to get my hands on the ghost in the shell movies...in the past year i've seen more than i can remember the names to...so there is my 100% reversal from when i first posted in this thread...

ok enough rant from me...man if i keep up at this rate sam will hunt me down and try to kill me for posting too much...eep! *hides from post n..err sam*
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:35 pm

This is definitely more of a girl anime, but Tsubasa Chronicles is just so cute. The characters are all really cute, and their eyes are all big and shiney and beautiful... It's really cheesy at times, but it's just so cute. Yeah, I don't really know another word to express it, really. I'm downloading it and watching it with my eleven-year-old sister, which is always fun. It takes a ton of unrelated Clamp characters and puts them together all playing differnet roles from their original series (They have people from Holic, Chobits, Sakura Card Captors, Rayearth -If I spelled that right- uh... I forget what else because I hadn't seen any of them, but there are a lot.) Except for that annoying puffball Modoki. I wish Kurogane would squish him. :roll: But if it's targeted towards younger girls you gotta have a puffball dude somewhere I guess.

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:35 pm

I'm not really an Anime fan, to me it's like any other method of filmmaking. Either the film can stand on the strength of its story or it can't. And there's something about the standard way of Japanese character design that bugs me. Nearly fifty years of the same look, time to move on already! One can almost say that about symphonic prog, but I digress.... ! Anyway, a number of years ago, I saw an Anime film called Wings of Honneamise and was just blown away by it. Nothing coming out of Hollywood even comes close in regards to plot, character development, and just plain good storytelling. I tried other Anime pillars, such as Akira and Vampire Hunter D, but was only slightly impressed. The only other film that I tried and liked about as much was Animatrix, if only for its technical excellence.
Wheee!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:48 pm

I disagree that it's all the same. You look at anime from the seventies and compare it to current anime from the 80s, anime from the 90s, and current anime like Bleach or Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist, you'll see that things have evolved and gotten much more sophisticated. Easiest way to tell is the eyes (Think Sailor Moon compared to anything current), but just watch a couple of action sequences or look at the overall sophistication in shading. (Akira and the original Vampire Hunter D come from the same decade, I'm pretty sure, so of course they look similar.) Unlike US cartoons which are gravitating toward either anime rip-offs like Jackie Chan adventures (which is fine with me), or being drained down the toilet of Cartoon Network style laziness. Ugh. Well, at least cartoon TV shows. Movies can be different, but then again anime has had a lot of influence on them.

And different anime series have different styles. Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (the first one was comparatively poor animation from the 80s) has a very unique, detailed, gothy style. Full Metal Alchemist has a clean, simple, shiney style. Cowboy Bebop is less sharp, and has more of a shaded, realistic style. Bleach is both clean and fairly complex for the most part.

I'm not an Akira fan myself, and if you see Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust - the other one isn't worth touching), watch it for the beauty of the animation and a bit of fun action, not for some deep plot or any kind of good voice acting on the dubs. If you want to see a good anime, seriously, watch Bleach. It takes every strong point of anime and uses them all to their fullest potential. In my mind, that's a complex story arc, beautiful animation (esp. eyes), well-planned and fast-paced action sequences with the whole flashing backgrounds (which happen for a reason and have none of the pansiness of Sailor Moon or childishness of Pokemon), and the use the serious with the comic relief (constantly right next to each other) in an ingenious and entertaining balance. Bleach rocks.

But if you want a movie, not a series, Miyazaki's always good. He always has superb animation and a lot to think about, but then again sometimes his plot comes from such a different culture that it's not always the easiest for an American to fully "get". So I like Bleach best.