Prog rock is evil?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 am

Well, I gave that guy a piece of my mind... Hahaha :lol: . Well, if anyone is reading my post over there and becomes offended early on, I will place this explanationas as a restatement of what is posted over there:

As a Unitarian Universalist, I am not opposed ot any religious expression. I have many friends who are fairly devout followers of their respective faiths and I think very highly of them for it. However, although I am not going to discriminate or judge anyone based on their religion, my view of people will be somewhat swayed by their own close-mindedness. So although readers of my post will most likely come across the phrase 'delusiuonal fundamentalist idiot,' I am surely not trying to offend anyone (except for everyones favorite Arkansas resident). Even in that case, I would rather help him realize his own delusions than insult him, but that really doesn't seem likely to happen...
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:31 am

Hmmmm, my entry never showed up so I got to do it again, with Berlioz this time :) And I got a little snooty because no one there had got the origin of Pink Floyd right yet.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:35 am

Theremin wrote:So although readers of my post will most likely come across the phrase 'delusiuonal fundamentalist idiot,' I am surely not trying to offend anyone (except for everyones favorite Arkansas resident). Even in that case, I would rather help him realize his own delusions than insult him, but that really doesn't seem likely to happen...
I totally understand your frustration, but really, I'm afraid that by calling him that you don't stand a shred of a chance of having him listen to your point of view. Of course, I doubt he will anyway. But it would be nice to think there might be a chance that a calm approach will move him to think a little bit... :)

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:41 am

A few quick points:

1. Re the site in question: Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience. I'm not entirely sure how serious this guy is, but it is reminiscent enough of the infamous "Dark Dungeons" to lend believability. visit http://www.chick.com/

2. Tales from Topographic Oceans was based on a Hindu idea. The swami who wrote the book Jon Anderson got the footnote from which spawned the album (The album of the footnote of the book) was responsible for taking his own peculiar branch on Hinduism to the US. But that's another story. Back in the seventies Jon Anderson's spiritual views seem to have been based on his own personal syncretic sun-worshipping faith, now he's just a New Ager (but still a nice old hippy). That's another nother story though.

3. The Carmina Burana: I assume most people here know the Orff version, and yes some of it is filthy (Veni, Veni, Venias: to come had the same innuendo back then). The original medieval songs were written down by Golliards, basically good for nothing university students. Two things I'll mention from the original that Orff did not use: Ich Was ein Chint is certainly not acceptable song by todays standards. It is an "amusing" little ditty about date rape. The Gamblers Mass is probably sacreligious, but I find it hilarious (and at that time the people were of one heart, and no shirt). Of course Carl Orff probably meant his version to work as Nazi propaganda.

Sorry for rambling.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:39 am

Has anyone considered the very likely possibility that this website is a hoax? Is there a home page link with other articles, or did he just come after prog. I didn't see one.
I think its a joke guys.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:56 am

I'm thinking so too. (Though I must admit that the poor quality of the site makes it seem more serious, whatever that means...)

I'd just prefer to be optimistic about the state of humanity, just this once... Give him the benefit of the doubt, because I really hope very very few people are that stupid.
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:54 am

i KNOW a lot of people who ARE that stupid...they haven't come after me yet tho...

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:54 am

sorry guys, that last one was me, i forgot to log in
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:44 pm

One listen to "Lex Rex", or Neal Morse's "Testimony" and this guy will see the Light :)

Seriously though I believe Steve's right though, this site is probably some sort of gag. Kind of like those forwards people were posting like "how to make a progressive rock band!", then list every possible prog cliche. Guess some people don't have anything better to do, the net's full of all kinds of silly crap that makes no sense...

Dean

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:19 pm

Apparently they're all up in arms about it at PE too. And they mentioned GH!!
From PE's website
Hello,
Sorry if this has already been posted, but:
http://www.geocities.com/evilprogressive/

I wonder what they think of Glass Hammer or Echolyn?

Regards,
Sean
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:27 pm

http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockids.html

Hey, If you feel bad about what they are saying about prog rock then just take a look at what some people say about christian rock. I mean, how can you get any worse than criticizing christian rock??

the bottom line is, just read it and be amazed at the closed mindedness of some people. To each his own, but Im not gonna get crocked about it. It is just interesting to know what some of the naysayers might think.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:27 pm

Geez. I guess I just don't get it... These people actually think that they have been saved from listening to christian rock music?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:39 pm

Alatar wrote:A few quick points:

2. Tales from Topographic Oceans was based on a Hindu idea.
Quite right, and I said Buddhist, didn't I. Hey, same thing, right! :P Just kidding...
3. The Carmina Burana: I assume most people here know the Orff version, and yes some of it is filthy (Veni, Veni, Venias: to come had the same innuendo back then)
D'oh- didn't even know about that one!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:44 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I think its a joke guys.
Steve
Could be, but somehow I doubt it. It just has the ring of one of those types of people. It's hard to fake. Plus, if it were a joke there would be some hint somewhere. Something that tipped the hat if you were looking. But I hope it's a joke.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:24 pm

The only thing that would lead me to believe that it is a joke is the handrawn picture of Satan on the frontpage where it says "Gentle Giant," "King Crimson," and "Pink Floyd." Gentle Giant doesn't seem to have any negative connotations that I can see and everything I have ever read has said that Pink Floyd came from Floyd Council and Pink Anderson (I forget, the seconbd one might be wrong).