King Crimson in Concert

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

King Crimson in Concert

Post by Theremin » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:06 pm

Are any of you going to see King Crimson live this year? Do any of you even like King Crimson? I am going to their concert at Park West, Chicago on the 15th of March. They aren't my favorite band, but they are the first that have toured anywhere near Lake Forest since I have hear of them. Pink Floyd toured in Chicago when I was 6 years old. Why couldn't I have been 16 back in 1994?!?! :banghead:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:08 pm

I missed them this year but I caught them last year with the same line-up and they were fantastic. This is one of the better versions of the band, I think you'll like it!! Let us know :)

Fred

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:55 pm

I can't wait :D . I already bought the new CD "The Power to Believe" and most of it is great! I feel like writing a review because I am done with my english homework but have still not satisfied my ablility to write for the day :lol: . The track listing is:
  • 1. The Power to Believe I: A Capella
    2. Level Five
    3. Eyes Wide Open
    4. Elektrik
    5. Facts of Life: Intro
    6. Facts of Life
    7. The Power to Believe II
    8. Dangerous Curves
    9. Happy With What You Have to be Happy With
    10. The Power to Believe III
    11. The Power to Believe IV: Coda
"The Power to Believe I: A Capella" is very cool! it is refferec to as a haiku but it does not conform to the 5-7-5 syllable format of a traditional haiku. This sounds like the various brindges from "happy With What You Have to be happy With." The lyrics are much better than those from the EP. The whole thing is just Adrian Below reading poetry through an electric harmonizer. Beautiful in its intricate simplicity. Very deep.

"Level Five" is a little too heavy for my tastes but is still very melodic. It is minimalistic, like a lot of Crimson, and grows more and more complex before the end. Sounds very similar to "Larks Tongue in Aspic part IV."

"Eyes Wide Open" is one of my favorite tracks on the CD. It is a light ballad (by Crimson standards) with very haunting lyrics and jazzy percussion. This track is one of the only traditional song format tracks on the CD with Crimson's characteristic crunching guitar. It was originally released as an acoustic version on the EP "Happy With What You Have to be Happy With." The electric version is not much different, but is slightly more densely layed.

"Electrik" is the second of three tracks on the CD based on constantly evolving complexity. It is lighter than "Level Five" and in my opinion, the superior song.

"Facts of Life: Intro" is one of two throwaway tracks on the CD (in my opinion: dissenters, please don't hate me). It is basically just noise. Oh well, with a band as complex and experimental as King Crimson.

"Facts of Life" is a very, very heavy song. It is incredibly loud and distorted. It actually causes me pain to listen to the first verse :bawling: . It gets better as the song progresses, as your brain acclimates to the screaming vocals. The whole thing is in cyclical 16 bar blues format. Unfortunately, this involves the lyrical format AABA. Very annoying to hear the same line repeated over and over agin over different, equally grating, harmonies. The blues format hearkens back to "Potato Pie" from the EP. "Potato Pie" is a good, if not great song, but this one is not.

"The Power to Believe II" is the first variation on the album theme and is mostly colored with thin middle-eastern guitar riffs. It has a middle section based on the Gamlean (spelling?) music of Tibet (?) that is very cool and refreshing. It sounds like a bunch of bells. This bell section grew from the track "Shogani" on the EP.

"Dangerous Curves" is my favorite "evolution" song. It starts out almost inaudible and quickly builds. Unlike "Level Five", it takes the listener through a wide range of timbres, from the intricate acoustic to the soaring metallic. Great.

"Happy With What You Have to be Happy With" is another standout track on the disc. It is one of my favorite quasi-metal songs and has hilarious lyrics making fun of the punk rick generation who are utterly devoid of lyrical sense and musical ingenuity. The only difference between this version and the EP is that this version has the chorus between the first bridge and the second verse deleted. I loved that chorus :bawling: . Too bad, the EP version was better. Unlie most pop songs, the chorus is not just the thing between verses. It is engaging, interesting, and complex; the only chorus I have ever heard in 11/8 time! It still repeats twice though.

"The Power to Believe III" is a trippy variation on its predecessor and is the heaviest. one of the worst tracks on the album, not because of any flaw, but because of the lack of aything original. It just pales in comparison to the other highly innovative tracks on the album. It is still much better than the ear-spilling "facts of Life."

"The Power to Believe IV: Coda" is a recapitulation of the first track. It has very sparse instrumentation and more space between the lines of the "haiku." this gives it a more urgent, emotional feel than the first. Lke the first track, it gives me the chills just listening to it.

I don't believe in rating albums numerically, so I'll jsut say this: "The Power to Believe" is a great album, very diverse yet still with some degree of continuity from the various recurring themes. Won't appeal to the general public, you can't dance to it :dance: , but to lovers of prog rock with an eedge (sometimes too much of an edge) this may be a prospect :D .

PS - Does anyone know what LP and EP stand for? I know that an LP is a full length album and and EP is a shorter demo sort of disc, but are they acronyms? I have always felt too stupid to ask, but this seems like a good time to ask, since I used the term EP so many times in this post.

direwolf

Post by direwolf » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:35 am

I went to see Crimson two Saturdays ago. We got there an hour early and there were already about 500 people in line in front of us. Crimson fans are FANATICS. :)

We managed to find good seats, though, and enjoyed the hell out of the concert. Really great show they put on. I need to pick up "Power to Believe" Real Soon Now (tm).

cheers,
Phil
Phil Carter -- direwolf at speedfactory dot net
Webmaster, http://www.glasshammer.com/

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:33 am

I already bough my tickets off the internet, so I shouldn't have a problem (hopefully).

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:33 am

D'oh!! Going to show my age here:

Back in dim and distant history there was The Single, also know as a 45 because it played at 45 rpm on the turntable. It was 7" in diameter and had one song on each side. Then came the LP- the Long Play record, or album, 12" with 5 or six songs per side (still one if you were Yes :D) The EP was an Extended Play album- right in between, at 10". So, Single, Extended and Long= 7", 10" and 12" respectivley.. now you know all there is to know about vinyl...

Fred

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:36 am

D'oh!

Why does my cookie keep going away?? :(

Fred
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:51 pm

Fred, thanks for showing me me light :lol: !

gojira

Post by gojira » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:33 am

Fred wrote:The EP was an Extended Play album- right in between, at 10".
In my experience the EP came in 2 other formats, both of which could contain more music than a 45, but less than an LP:

1. a 7" disc which was played at 33 rpm

2. a 12" disc which was played at 45 rpm

I believe some Beatles EPs were of type 1. A good example of a type 2 EP is Genesis' "Spot the Pigeon" which contains 3 songs totalling a little over 13 minutes. I happen to have this EP on beautiful translucent blue vinyl, BTW. (brag, brag)

g

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:43 pm

The concert was awesome! Seeing Trey Gunn play the warr guitar was one of the coolest things I have ever seen :shock: ! It was interesting to see which parts were played by whom. On the CDs, the sound is very densly layered, effectively utilising three guitar players. Live, I could tell thet Adrian Below, not Robert Fripp, usually played the lead guitar. I think Fripp played through a guitar synthesizer the whole time, producing most of the "sweeps" in the music.

I think the songs they played were:
  • The Power to Believe I
    Level Five
    Happy With What You Have to be Happy With (without my beloved 1st chorus :bawling: )
    Eyes Wide Open
    Elektric
    The Power to Believe II
    Dangerous Curves
    Dinosaur
    Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream
    Larks Tongue in Aspic IV
I'm not sure about the order after the first 6, and I'm pretty sure I forgot a couple. they also played some stuff I did not recognize, since I haven't heard Thrak yet. I think two were Dinosaur and Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream because the lyrics seemed to contain those words.

In a large auditorium, it is easier to hear the distinction between parts. However, they amplified it too loud. I had to put my earplugs in for some songs, and then the new clarity was lost. Why does everyone listen to music so loud :angry: ?!?

Anyway, my favorite songs were The Power to Believe II, which was enhanced by the increased volume, and some song I don't recognize. The Power to believe II sounded great and was very complex, especially the middle segment (a la Shogani). The whole middle segment with the bells was played by Trey Gunn on a horizontal warr guitar through a synthesizer. Awesome :D ! The song I didn't recognize was the first encore. When the band walked back onstage, Adrian Below was nowhere to be seen. So, without the group's principal soloist, you could hear a whole different side of the lineup. It was very cool and Trey's upper line was clearer here than anywhere else during the concert.

I got my tickets pretty cheap (only $40 each) and a cool maroon tee-shirt with the Discipline symbol and the words "King Crimson" printed on the front. So, including diner, I only spent about $80 the whole night. My parents are going to see Elton John and Billy Joel in concert and they payed $200 each just for admission to mediocre seating. The King Crimson concert was general admission, and we got there an hour early. our seats were off to the left of the stage a litte, about 25 feet back. The setup was wierd, and even though we were in the third row, there was a wall behind us instead of more seating. this let us sit up on the back of our seats without bothering anyone and gave us a great view of everyone but Fripp, who was all the way on the right.

If anyone has any questions about the concert, just ask. :D

Ned

Post by Ned » Sat May 03, 2003 9:33 am

Hmm... I love King Crimson, but I cannot say I like Adrian Belew. I think his vocals are ugly and his guitar playing is dull.

I may get the new album though... Its worth a try, I guess.