Introduce yourself!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Longshanks

Post by Longshanks » Wed May 11, 2005 9:18 am

Hi everybody.

My name's Dave and I have just this past couple of weeks heard about Glass Hammer, and........OH MY GOD - YOU GUYS ARE FANTASTIC!!!!

I mean seriously - my favourite band has been Genesis (circa Gabriel/Hackett) for many years, and I always lamented the fact that they have never reformed properly, and that there was no good prog anymore. I won't be doing that anymore! I've got Shadowlands blasting through my headphones as I speak - I can't get enough of it!

Sorry, I'm supposed to introduce myself aren't I?

I'm 32, and come from the south coast of England. I work as a Civil Servant during the day, but my actual life consists of Scouting, photography, films and music (I am learning the guitar and the drums....well, trying to learn.) I don't get to read books anymore (don't have the time), but oddly, my two favourites are LotR and the Narnia Chronicles (as well as Watership Down, but I don't think you've done any songs about that!)

How did I discover Glass Hammer? Well, a friend played me some stuff by a band called Porcupine Tree, and I really like it. When I was looking at allmusic.com there was a little section tht said "If you like this band you may like...." and Glass Hammer were listed there. I will have to admit that I downloaded some stuff for a listen, and not in the way that makes the band any money I'm afraid (sorry!). :roll: I downloaded Shadowlands and it blew me away! I didn't feel too guilty about downloading the album at the time, as I could not find any sources to purchase in England. Last week though, I jumped onto Amazon.com (USA) and ordered Shadowlands, Lex Rex and won Perelandra on an e-bay auction. I am still waiting for them to turn up (hopefully they are waiting on my doormat as we speak) but rest assured I will be buying the rest of them over the coming months!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Wed May 11, 2005 9:26 am

Yay! Another GH fanatic!!!! :cackle:

Welcome, Longshanks!! :cheers:

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed May 11, 2005 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum mate!
Guys (and girls!) from the band regularly turn up on here, you will never find a band that allows the same amount of access to their fans =)

I know it might seem a bit daunting, but read through all the forums and topics (especially the ones for the music itself) and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Hop on over to www.glasshammer.com and register to get all kinds of goodies realated to their upcoming album "The Inconsolable Secret!"

You can also (legally) download a full MP3 from each of their albums on the site.

Make yourself at home, and stick around!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 am

Bnielsen wrote:I know it might seem a bit daunting, but read through all the forums and topics (especially the ones for the music itself) and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Uh, you really DON'T want to waste your time reading some of the topics, like Word Association (I still can't believe you did that, Bozo!!! How long did it take?), Song Association, and possibly Morality in Middle Earth (;))...

Welcome to the forum! :cheers: Glad you discovered the greatest musical geniuses on earth - join the fan club! :mrgreen: (If you want a convenient listing of free downloadable music, go to http://www.ghfan.net/gh/audio.html
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Longshanks

Post by Longshanks » Thu May 12, 2005 3:34 am

Thanks everybody!

My CDs were waiting for me when I got home (nice!), so I shall be giving 'Perelandra' a go this morning while I sit at my office desk, fighting off sleep!

Post by Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 4:47 pm

This is an interesting topic!

So I guess I should also introduce my self.

My real name is... Lania.

I'm French and live in the Netherlands with my husband. I'm 34 years old.
I work for Mr. Michael Dell: I try to help people with there orders (delivery and sometimes technical advices).

I have this hobby I can not let go: I try to compose music. I will probably as good as Fred some day (it should take me 205 years)! You can hear the songs and view the stuff on my website: www.midi-center.com

I've been listening to Genesis since I was... 10 or so. Then I found this Dutch guy Arjen Lucassen and his project Ayreon. I loved it. One day I was surfing on the web looking for Ayreon like sound. I was lucky to find a web site telling that Arjen Lucassen was playing the guitar on a strange album called Chronometree. There was also a link to the GH website. I went there and downloaded every thing and I loved it right away!
I of course mailed Steve and Fred and told them that I was charmed by their music.

Later, they asked me if I could create a forum for them. So I did! With a lot of help from my husband.

That's about it...
Oh! One more thing! I love cats too :cat: ! I have two of them: Poes and Nicky.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu May 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Cats do rule!

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Fri May 13, 2005 1:21 am

Dogs eat cats for breakfast!
The world is smaller than you think!

izumo94

Post by izumo94 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:20 am

Hi, everyone.

My name is Izumo. It's not my real name, but a place name in Japan where the famous Izumo Shrine has been built. I did a wedding there. Um...I can't decide what to choose the manga Avatar for me. :(

Exactly I'm a absolute beginner not only as a member of this forum but also as a GH fan. My first GH album was "Chronometree"; just only six monthes ago. I found myself obliged to admit that I had have wasted my time until then, on waiting for the arrival of another "Close to the Edge" or "Tarkus": thank you Tom, I appreciate your wild idea and hardy experiment that always shake up the trees of slumber and let them fly away into the distance of new time and space. Shortly after that, I placed an order with Sound Resources for "Lex Rex Bundle". Literally I was enchanted by the airy, resilient, highspirited, animated quality of sound and the presence of authenticity emanated from the heart of each member of GH. The music have been always inspiring me with trust and strength.

I had have been engaged in software development in Tokyo. About five years ago, I drew back into the country, where I have no relatives and no relation, for some reason (mainly health issue). Currently I work on the technical documentation - writing, editing and translating - in a small way. I raise vegetables and harbs; I do a lot of reading (including LotR and the Narnia Chronicles) and spend considerable time in contemplation; I sleep peacefully with two cats. But I know I'm not living in the medieval monastery. I'll move on to the next, although I can't figure out the where and the why of it.

Undoubtedly I'm given to the prog, but that means that when I find something good, pure, fine, hopeful, beautiful, or maybe blessed and divine...in the music, simply I call it "prog". That's all. One of my current favorites is Lovejoy, a rock band in Kyoto featuring a female vocalist/singer-songwriter/guitarist Bikke, lead by a talented keyboardist/composer Tatsuo Kondo. They might be categorized by a kind of super group that is formed by some professional players of the first class musicianship as the side project for doing what they wants to do, rather than for marketing needs. They have released two original albums until now; "Myou" and "Kakegaenonai hitotoki". Not an epic or symphonic, but if you get an opportunity to catch on them, please check it out.

And...not to speak of, I'm waiting for "The Inconsolable Secret".

I'm sorry that I lack experience in writing in English. It may be just horrible! :cry: But definitely I'll carry on. Thank you in advance for your tolerance and generosity.

thor156
Professional
Professional

who am I?

Post by thor156 » Fri May 13, 2005 7:11 am

welcome to the forums Izumo94!

Hello all, my real name is Joe. For those of you that don't already know, I am Walter's younger brother.

I live in Oak Ridge tennessee (the energy capitol of the world), home of The Manhattan Project.

I am 34 years old. Five years ago I married my high school sweetheart after we had been together for about 13 years, no children, 13 cats..
I run a small lawn-landscape service with my father, it is our 20'th anniversary this summer, the green industry has been good to us.
Over the past three years I have gotten into cycling and sparring,they are both totally addictive.. Sparring is Boxing but you dont try to kill each other, it's one heck of a cardio workout. I have been a drummer for most of my life, but with adult responsibilities, these days it's just a hobby :cursing:.. My favorite color is red, my favorite place is the Outer Banks of North Carolina, my favorite car is my truck, and my favorite band is of course Glass Hammer....have a wonderful day...thor.....
Last edited by thor156 on Sat May 14, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri May 13, 2005 7:14 am

izumo94 wrote:I'm sorry that I lack experience in writing in English. It may be just horrible! :cry: But definitely I'll carry on. Thank you in advance for your tolerance and generosity.

Don't worry- theres others here that have a little trouble with English from time to time- it only endears you to us further!

Welcome to the forum, feel free to make yourself at home, and check out all the topics!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri May 13, 2005 12:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Longshanks and Izumo! I also do technical documentation/software development Izumo. No worries on your English, you're doing just fine!

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun May 15, 2005 7:33 am

Hi

I'm Skip (also mainly known by my nickname of Skip)

I'm Australian and live in our nations capital city of Canberra (not Sydney as most people assume).
I'm 46 years old and live with my wife & two children.

Like Lania and Longshanks I'm a long time fan of Genesis as well as Yes and Jethro Tull.

For years I felt that I was the only one at least in this country listening to Prog music. Over the last several years the Internet has spawned so many good prog music sites and allowed bands such as GH to make their presence felt, you definitely feel a resurgence of sorts in this sort of music. I've certainly been spoilt for choice in terms of the prog music available across all countries and now count The Flower Kings, Marillion, IQ as well as Glass Hammer in my Top Ten favourite bands.

I've been a long time visitor to the GH forum mainly because as Bneilsen mentioned, the band participate as well as their associates and family. Their 'down to earth' nature appeals to me as does the friendly nature of the other forum members.

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sun May 15, 2005 8:29 am

Wow, two Australians here! How's things in the Bush Capitol? :D Actually, the first people I met that were into Marillion came from Canberra, so it's kind of got a place in my mind as a prog friendly city. Incidentally, I'm from Melbourne, so feel free to make fun of any part of my city if you like, except maybe the trams.

Did you get to see Tull earlier this month?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun May 15, 2005 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum, skip! :) :cheers:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]