Introduce yourself!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

xandal

Hi I am Randal

Post by xandal » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Randal from Indianapolis, Indiana. I am 51, a Guitar Teacher and composer. Prog lover since the 70's. Father of three in their 20's. Listen to besides Glass Hammer, Iona, The Flower Kings, Yes, Rush,Neal Morse, Kerry Livgren and the usual list of suspects. Like most prog fans I enjoy sci-fi, fantasy and comedy. I would appreciate it if any and all would check out my web site and sign my guestbook, listen to my music, esp The Gathering Calm and Processional of the New Dawn.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:21 pm

Welcome to GH world!!! :)
Steve Babb
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:46 pm

Welcome!!

I would love to check your website.
Whats the link?
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

xandal

Post by xandal » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome. The easiest way to get to my web site is just to type in my name in Google, Randal Pflum. The first one is the one you want. There are songs listed on the first page but not all of them. Click on songs at the top of the page for all songs. Not every song is Prog. Thanks

caskof43

Post by caskof43 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi, my name is Trey! I am 30 years old and a lover of all things Prog! I am a multi-instumentalist. I write and record my own music. My favorite band is RUSH, but Glass Hammer is now a very close second. I am very new to GH and the only things by them that I own is The Inconsolable Secret and the new Live at Belmont DVD. I have a hard time taking TIS out of the player. I love it that much. I am a long distant runner and love to spend time with my family!

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:29 am

It is I Shadoshi, here again, and I am back from my vacation, so expect me to post more again.

[/checkingin]

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:07 pm

Greetings folks

I am finally getting around to registering here on the Glass Hammer site. I am a long-time fan of progressive rock, jazz, and metal. I also have a soft spot in my heart for folk music.

I have been listening to GH for six years now, ever since a former co-worker gave me a copy of the Middle Earth album. It was the Tolkien theme that drew me in initially. From there I have moved on to the other records. Other favorite bands are Yes (of course), Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, Camel, and Agalloch.

I am a freelance writer and editor with a background in literature and computer science. Now into my early forties, I live with my girlfriend of ten years and a rather persnickety cat creature in New York State. It probably goes without saying that I enjoy reading science fiction and fantasy. I also game a bit, currently getting wiped out in Quake 4 and gaining experience in World of Warcraft. Over the years I have happened upon my own blend of spiritual/religious practice, drawing from both the Wiccan neo-pagan and zen buddhist traditions. Like American writer Henry David Thoreau, I believe nature is moral and can offer a great deal of insight into the human condition if we focus our attention to what is around us. I also believe in the "one world at a time" approach to life, choosing not to focus on what may or may not happen after this life is ended, preferring instead to focus on one world at a time as that is about all I can handle!

I imagine this intro is quite long-winded enough so I'll stop here and see you all around the other parts of this board. Blessings be.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:54 pm

Welcome to the forum! Pagans are welcome here. Heck, we've got Catholics mingling with Presbyterians and agnostics chatting it up with new-agers. Stick around :)
Steve Babb
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks Steve!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Not to make fun, but don't forget those of us that believe in the Great Pumpkin :roll:

Welcome to the forums mate!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:40 pm

the Great Pumpkin is ok in my book!

Thanks for the welcome :D

jonpod

Post by jonpod » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi everyone! I'm John and I live in Wales, UK. I'm a school teacher (math :evil: ) and a musical director. I am also really crap at computers - hence being a member for a month and still not able to get an avatar up!! Didn't know what one was til last week....

Hey ho! Needless to say I overcame my worries about this and decided to introduce myself anyway. I am 36 years old and have been a huge prog fan for 20 years now. My faves have been Yes (inevitably), Genesis, Camel, Van der Graaf Generator, Rush and Marillion. I had tried listening to other prog but nothing really got me like the above... (sorry all you Kansas fans!)... until last year.

The first GH I saw was the Lex Live DVD and I was totally blown away. I can't begin to say how excited I was, I felt 16 again!! I quickly bought the back catalogue and came to the conclusion that I had found my fave band ever. Lex Rex had to be the best album I had heard in years and years.

Which brings me to the point of registering really... (I'll stop in a bit, honest!)... and the I heard Inconsolable Secret. I simply cannot believe that this album exists. It is just undoubtedly the best thing I have ever heard - I have been playing it now for months and I can't stop! :lol: I just don't know how you guys did it?!!!

Fred, Steve - never stop guys... you are the best.

NOW!

Sort out this Britain thing!!!!! You can't get your CDs or DVDs in the shops, and you have never played here!!! How are the thousands of prog fans in Britain going to hear you?!!

Something to think about... I'll be in the choir if that helps! :lol:

Ok - enough said - can't wait for the new album ...and for my free flight to see your gig in October! You can always dream...

Laters,

John
come to britain!!!!!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Old Chap! Mind the gap! :D
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:17 am

>>>Sort out this Britain thing!!!!! You can't get your CDs or DVDs in the shops, and you have never played here!!! How are the thousands of prog fans in Britain going to hear you?!! >>>>

Hey,
Thanks for the post. You made my evening :) (last night of course).
As for distribution, I'll look into it again. We have a guy in Wales who sells our titles through ebay and another in Scotland who does mail-order only.
Have you seen other indie or small label prog bands in the stores there? If so, tell me who they are and I'll find out how they're getting their titles distributed.
Welcome to the forum!
Steve

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:36 pm

Welcome Jonpod

To my delight the major German Cd mailorder allso have Lex Rex and Live at Belmont in store so the way to the stores are shortening. Hope so for England too.
The world is smaller than you think!