King Kong

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

King Kong

Post by theHermit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:03 pm

Anybody excited for this film? I have to admit I've never been much of a Kong fan, but I saw the trailer for the new Peter Jackson version this past weekend before seeing LWW and it has me looking forward to the film. Kong looks fantastic! I about shook out of my seat when he roared.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:14 pm

It's holding a solid 93% fresh on the tomatometer- pretty impressive! When you can get people to write stuff like this:

"There's a new king in town. He roams the jungle with unmatched strength, and when he prowls his territory, other creatures must bow to his awesome primacy. I'm referring, of course, to Peter Jackson, the New Zealand filmmaker whose thrilling reinterpretation of King Kong is one of the wonders of the holiday season. As a follow-up to his triumphant Lord of the Rings trilogy, the movie seals Jackson's reputation: He's the most gifted big-picture artist working today, a master of epics from a human-eye view who excels at employing 21st-century technological wizardry to suit the needs of ageless, personal storytelling. (Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly)

--about a giant ape movie that's something.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:56 pm

Wow, that really is!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 pm

And the 8th wonder of the world - Peter Jackson.
Saw it - loved it.
I was rocked. KONG RULES.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 pm

I FINALLY saw this movie last Sunday, I didn't want to miss seeing it on the big screen. I loved it, a really great movie. Yes, it was bit long, but it would have been difficult to cut much out. It's just a shame this didn't do as well at the box office as it deserves.

My favorite part of the movie had nothing to do with Kong. It was the little reference to Fay Wray and the original movie's studio and director. If you missed it, Jack Black's character was asking about available actresses. It went something like this: "What about Fay? No, she's doing a picture for RKO". And he says something about "that water-holder-backer Cooper", who wrote the screenplay for the RKO version, and was also the director. I just love little references like that. I didn't expect quite so much action on Skull Island, it was really intense. But I got a bit squeemish with the giant insect part, just nasty! And speaking of nasty, what about the Skull Island natives? I think they should have thrown them all over the wall!

I did find the ending to be very sad, very moving. Funny, considering we all know how it ends. Great film, I really enjoyed it.
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:48 am

Comes out on video next Tuesday-I'll have to get the 2 disc edition-should be great extras,can't wait to hear it on surround-sound!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:46 pm

I think it was too long. It just took forever to actually get into the story. And when it turned into Jurassic Park... that was just too unrealistic. A bunhca guys runnning with like 20 bronotsauruses in a 30 ft wide canyon for like half a mile... and only a couple got trampled.

But those giant bugs were gross.... those slug things with the weird mouths.... Ughhh...
Last edited by Rumpska on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:29 pm

Rumpska wrote: And when it turned into Jurassic Park... that was just too unrealistic. A bunhca guys runnning with like 20 bronotsauruses in a 30 ft wide canyon for like half a mile... and only a couple got trampled..
You buy in to the whole 25 foot ape thing though, right??

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 am

Oh, of course!

They're just on an island... and there's a village of little dirty indian people.... who don't like chocolate.... and a random huge wall, and every single animal on the island is five times the height it should be.

And there's dinosaurs..... because after millions of years they wouldn't run out on food on one little island.

I'm just awaiting PJ's next movie. Although he's not directing it, he's doing some special effects and stuff and I think Weta is, too.

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 pm

I heard Peter Jackson is co-producing Halo: The movie...

don't know if its true though. :roll:
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:41 pm

It's true, and apparently Guillermo Del Toro has singed on to direct- he's like the South American Peter Jackson; a talented horror filmmaker ready to break out into mainstream films. He'll do great I think. I couldn't have cared less about another video game flick but now I'm sort of excited.

PJ's next film is The Lovely Bones, about a girl who watches her murder investigation from heaven. Sort of a drama-action-suspense version of A Matter Of Life And Death. Could be great!

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Thimon wrote:I heard Peter Jackson is co-producing Halo: The movie...

don't know if its true though. :roll:

Aye, that's what I was talking about. Summer 2007. I haven't seen the DOOM movie, although I think it looks cool... yet the game is based on demonic monsters popping out from nowhere, so.... but Karl Urban is in it, and he's cool. Halo is only a buncha aliens on a cool looking planet type deals. Halo is gonna be way better.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:21 am

Doom is actually pretty entertaining if you dont expect it to be anything more than what it is- a monster shoot-em fest. Like the game, pretty much.