Serenity

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Serenity

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:00 am

What a fantastic movie!

I mean, a combination Sci-Fi/Kung Fu/Western would normally seem cheesy and dumb, but Joss does an incredible job with this series-cum-movie.

I highly reccommend it!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:56 am

I also really enjoyed Serenity, but then I was a fan of the series. Although I notice Joss has started experimenting with making his heroes a little blacker in their actions.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 pm

I almost started a thread like this...

I never got to see Firefly on TV and I watched it first, before Serenity. I have to say, it's as good as the hype. I'm a huge fan of Farscape but at least in some ways Firefly is a stronger show. It has that old Star Trek perfect chemestry between characters. I thought the movie was great, but ultimately I like the series even better, perhaps just because you get more time for character stuff. The movie did have great action, a darker tone and a cool look. It's one of the best series-to-film adaptaions I've ever seen for being able to upgrade from a TV look to a feature look without everything being completley different.
I DID think that the main plot point of Serenity was a contradiction to the show, as well as the opening scene to a small degree. I seem to be in a minority but it makes no sense that River would have known about any of that, let alone that THAT was the basis of her psychosis and not just the meddling The Alliance had done in her mind.
But yeah, one of the best sci-fi films in a loooong time. George Lucas should fall on his sword after the shame of knowing such filmmakers as Joss Whedon and Peter Jackson are about... :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 am

Serenity kicketh ass! I'm a big Joss fan. Buffy, Angel, Firefly. All of it. Reading his X-Men series now. Very talented dude.

I still miss Farscape Fred. Probably my favorite Sci Fi series. The new Battlestar Gallactica is surprisingly strong as well.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:32 pm

I'm a big Joss fan as well and loved Serenity. I miss Farscape and Firefly a lot. I can't get into Battlestar Galactica, though. They have such good ideas, but I find the writing heavy handed... lacking in subtlety. I've watched several different episodes and enjoyed parts of them.

But, back on subject, I really enjoyed Serenity and hope against good sense that Universal will greenlight another.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:33 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, but he is an excellent writer and really has a talent for giving each of his characters depth. Astonishing X-Men is currently my favorite X title. :D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Ah, Bethany, you definately need to see it! =)
Brian Nielsen

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:14 pm

I agree with Brian. If you haven't seen the series, you can jump into the movie. (Although I'd be remiss as a Browncoat if I didn't suggest the series first.)

I love his turn on Astonishing X-Men and hope Marvel lets him keep the gig for a good, long while.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:11 am

I believe Joss Whedon will be doing a second X-Men series this spring.

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 pm

I really hope he does continue his work with Marvel - he's done such a good job with some of my favorite characters. :D
I'm such a geek.

Since the only person I am close to that likes sci-fi/different from the ordinary movies is Susie, I'll have to get her to watch Serenity with me. Wish me luck - its impossible to get a new mom to sit for the duration of a movie and enjoy it.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 am

I enjoyed how the Fantastic Four showed up!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:57 am

I'm still waiting on Elric to bring me the Firefly DVD's. I really enjoyed this movie, and look forward to seeing the series. Great sense of humor in the movie-is that as prevelant in the series? Are they playing this(the series)on Sci-fi? If so, when?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:26 pm

EIwing wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet, but he is an excellent writer and really has a talent for giving each of his characters depth. Astonishing X-Men is currently my favorite X title. :D
Did ya see it yet?! =p

I just watched it again tonight with a pal of mine
Brian Nielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 am

yeshead 777 wrote:I'm still waiting on Elric to bring me the Firefly DVD's. I really enjoyed this movie, and look forward to seeing the series. Great sense of humor in the movie-is that as prevelant in the series? Are they playing this(the series)on Sci-fi? If so, when?
Well, its months later, got tired of waiting on Elric and ordered the DVD's from Amazon for 25 bucks. Should be here anyday! Can't wait! I'll let ya'll know what I think. I kept hearing from different sources how good the show was.Couldn't wait!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 am

They've been running Firefly on the Universal HD channel and I've been getting to see them again. What a great show.

BTW I'll finally get to check out Heroes tonight when it hits DVD...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]