Serenity

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

I wish Fox hadn't bumbled the original Firefly schedule. It might have survived. Fantastic series cut way short.

Evidently the new Heroes DVDs include an unaired pilot episode. I'd like to see that!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:58 pm

I just got the DVD series in the mail yesterday. I've watched the pilot, and the episode entitled "Our Mrs. Reynolds". Where else do you have such a great mixture of sci-fi, and western genres,incredibly funny dialogue,great multi-dimensional characters, and great story-lines? GREAT STUFF! This show only aired 11 episodes, and shows like Grey's Anatomy and Desparate Housewives go on and on. there truly is no account for taste in this country!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:04 pm

Not only does the cast have a chemistry that equals the original Star Trek but there are blasts of DARK humor that just come out of nowhere- wait until you get to the back story of how Jayne joined the crew...

BTW I think the second half of the season is uniformly better than the first half... they really got the bugs out as they went. So the best is yet to come.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm

Thats great to hear! I heard there was an uproar from rabid fans when it was cancelled-11 shows? Gimme a break, in comparison the Bill Engvall show will probably last 11 seasons! What injustice!Anyway, I think the writing is incredible, and the casting is perfect! Why have none of these actors done anything after this?-they're all incredible! I got Serenity in my blockbuster que, should have it in a day or two, i don't remember much of it, except it seemed to center much more on the girl, which i guess makes sense with the way the story is devolping. and whoever came up with casting Ron Glass as a hippie preacher-just sheer briliance! I can't imagine the writing or the humor getting much better than in the "Our Mrs.Reynolds" show! Maybe I'll have to give "angel" a try now, if this Joss Whedon is such a genius.Sorry, can't do Buffy!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Not only does the cast have a chemistry that equals the original Star Trek.
Exactly, but in a hip modern way, can't imagine a woman of ill repute on the Enterprise!

edit- fixed quote tag

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Firefly IMHO is the best thing that had been on television in years. I am a Browncoat for sure. Malcolm Reynolds is my favorite character, but ya gotta love the big lug Jayne.

AS FAR AS X-MEN go.......

Sorry to all the younger fans......

I collected comic books for years. I had probably over 10,000 when I stopped. I read everyone and could tell you which issue had what scene.....how nerdy is that.

When X-Men movies came out, I was excited about the possibilities, and my friends and I would try to cast the movie before it was leaked in a trailer. The only one we got right was Patrick Stewart.

Outraged have I been that Marvel cannot be innovative to create a better script tho for the movies. I picked them apart. The story lines of Jean Grey/Scott Summers come from the years 1978 - 1981 dealing with the Pheonix saga. Why could they have left the story as it was originally and not butcher it up in X-Men 3. X-Men 1 & 2 were ok, but 3 was rubbish. They could have had a Sentinel story and made it great......but NoooOOOOOOoooo!

Can you tell I am a little upset by this? Do you think they have done enough? No it's all about the Benjamins....here they go with the AVENGERS Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I still have almost every issue of that and thought "great a movie!". I was so disgusted by the Avengers movies that I practiced my frisbee throwing. Why KILL a hero just for the sake of doing it? They did not even do character development of the man who created Ultron the ultimate enemy of them. (ok Kang could have been the ultimate as well) Did they do enough damage? No! they want to make a new avengers where Iron Man barely escapes with the Children of the original team(who are all killed off btw) to form a junior avengers squad.

Marvel? I can see why Stan Lee shakes his head. I raise my cup to you Stan, Romita, Buscema, Ditko, Kirby, Claremont, Byrne, Miller, Sienkewitz, and Perez.

Kid Colt the gay gunslinger?........Bleh

GET A LIFE and some new IDEAS Writers.

Btw I was not slamming Joss Whedon there. I am simply a purest when it comes to the stories, and some of the best parts of my childhood and teenage years were spent with my nose in the comics.

BTW here's one for you who have seen the 13th Warrior....

What do you think about Vladimir Kulich(Bulvye sp?) playing Thor? I think he would be great!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:34 am

While its really too early for me to pick a favorite character-I love them all, I think Mal is by far the most complex with the most secrets, and there's something about that Kayley. I don't know if its the whole tom-boy/wanting to be more femine, and extremely sarcastically funny. Jayne's right up there also-He's much more than just comical relief. And the interplay between them all-it really does remind you of the first Star Trek. Incredible writing is what its all about.