4)Mr. Brooks
5)The Lookout
6)Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix
6)Bridge to Teribithia
7)The Bourne Ultimatum
8)No Country for Old Men
9)Rescue Dawn
10)Meet the Robinsons
Honorable mentions:Eastern Promises,Freedom Writers,Live Free or Die Hard(seriously),Breach.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Have to add "Sunshine" to at least honorable mention. A stunning sci-fi flick visually,great cast, very interesting, just gets a little "Aliens" like at the end, but I was still satisfied overall.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:38 am

Just saw "No Country" again, MUCH better the second time. Easily moves up to the 2 or 3 spot. Definitely the Cohen's crowning achievement(at least since Fargo).

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:14 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Just saw "No Country" again, MUCH better the second time. Easily moves up to the 2 or 3 spot. Definitely the Cohen's crowning achievement(at least since Fargo).
Saw "Once" last night and loved it. Very cool, very moving.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:06 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote:Just saw "No Country" again, MUCH better the second time. Easily moves up to the 2 or 3 spot. Definitely the Cohen's crowning achievement(at least since Fargo).
Saw "Once" last night and loved it. Very cool, very moving.
Glad you liked it Steve. It's a one of a kind movie-IMO.They really pull off the low budget home movie style without making it cheesey or campy-its just so REAL. And its all about the music.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Didn't see many movies in 07, none of the Oscar nominated ones. Did really enjoy Live Free or Die Hard and I Am Legend. I really wanted to see 3:10 to Yuma, never got around to it. Of the Oscar nominated films, "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will be Blood" look very promising.
And now for something completly different

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:04 pm

I loved Juno - witty, off-beat, and hilarious. 3:10 was also a bigtime favorite, interesting characters thrown in a high-stakes situation involving honor/morality vs. money/flight. But There Will Be Blood was really weird. There seemed like there was so many pieces there, but I couldn't put my finger on what any of it added up to. What I got was not continuous enough to make any sense. It was just as jarringly incoherent as the soundtrack. But the acting was amazing. I don't know the lead's name, but he definitely made the movie. I'd recommend it as a movie unlike any you've ever seen before, but expect to leave the theater confused.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:38 pm

In no particular order, 3:10 to Yuma, Cloverfield, Juno, Transformers (good stuff), Bourne Ultimatum. I liked I Am Legend, but it could've been better.

There Will Be Blood can go die in a fire... "That's fine."
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I can't believe "No country" won. If you like the movie, you must read the book.It makes Javier Badem's performance that more amazing!!!!!In the book He is more of a ghost, and there are very little physical details given on him. His character is the creepiest,closest thing to evil personified I've ever seen, From the very first scene that He is in. A lot of the classic lines are straight from the book but could have easily come from the twisted minds of the Coen's, like "This is quite a mess we've got here Sheriff isn't it?" "Well, if it isn't it'll do till the mess gets here." Right now this is up there with Raising Arizona, Oh Brother, and Fargo, and may be the best-its definitely neck and neck with Fargo-which it has many elements of, but is actually very reminiscent of Blood Simple, just much more polished.