Prince Caspian opens today!

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Prince Caspian opens today!

Post by theHermit » Fri May 16, 2008 11:57 am

I'm very much looking forward to this. Hope to catch it this weekend. It's playing in our little town's only theater but the village is over run with parents and family as it is the college's graduation weekend. Anyone else going this weekend?

I believe the next installment is Dawn Treader. I would love to see them film The Horse and His Boy at some point but I am not holding out too much hope.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:19 pm

I think I'm gonna have to drive by the theater on the way home from work and if the 7:45 show is not sold out go see it-For sure! The reviews have been great so far! Can't wait to see Reepicheep. If this one is as good as they say, they will make The Dawn Treader for sure, and then after that it will be iffy. As long as Doug Gersham is involved-I would think the integrity of the books would stay in-tact. We'll see!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Looks much better than the first one, which was good but kind of "meh" for me. This one looks terrific. I know they will be dashed to bloody twisted meat on the sharp unrelenting rocks of reality but I'm also clinging to hopes that the Indiana Jones movie will actually rock as well.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat May 17, 2008 7:09 am

Caspian is supposedly a near-complete departure from the book, and closer to a LOTRs style battle-epic. No matter, I'm going. Drudge has a bad report on Indy - but still I'm going.
I'm a sucker for sequels.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 am

Saw it last night. It is probably true that it is quite a departure from the book (i meant to go back and read it again before seeing the movie, but of course-didn't get to it), cause I don't remember much. But I'll tell you this-this movie ROCKS!!!!!!!! And Reepicheep RULES!!!! Yes it is more like TLOTR-esp. Two Towers or Return of the King-as far as epic battle sequences. But the parallels end there IMO. There was an excellent review by an AP writer in our local paper yesterday that said it was darker, funnier, more mature, and overall much better than TLTWATW. and I have to say I agree wholeheartedly!!!!! But it is impossible to compare the two. TLTWATW is such a familiar story, and the emphasis is so much on the characters themselves. PC somehow balances the two-action/adventure and character devolpment brilliantly-and it is not so CGI heavy like so many of the fantasy/scifi/action/etc. flics are. Saw the previews for "Journey to the Center of the Earth"-and it looks great, but 99% of the trailer was "Green Screen" material. Anywway, I'll say more later-the other big difference in PC is the humor! There are several "really funny" lines, and realistic sarcastic behavior between the siblings. and like I said earlier-Reepicheep steals about every scene he's in-without going too much over the top. DO NOT MISS THIS FLICK-GO QUICKLY!!!!!Esp. if you liked the first, but wanted more action-you'll LOVE this one!Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun May 18, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm going today with Julie, Jon-Michael, my sister, brother-in-law, nephew and
my 6 year old niece who happens to be named.......

Aslan.

I kid you not :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun May 18, 2008 3:46 pm

[quote="MayorOfLongview"]I'm going today with Julie, Jon-Michael, my sister, brother-in-law, nephew and
my 6 year old niece who happens to be named.......

Aslan.

I kid you not :)
Steve[/quote

COOL! First person I've heard named after Aslan. A girl I worked with named her daughter Lucy. You'll probably see alot more Susans and Lucies in the near future. There are alot of cool band and album/or song names based on Narnia or other C.S.Lewis works. My fav is the CCM band "Poor Old Lu"-'nuff said.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Great action flick - slow start - not much on story that the little ones could grab onto.
The arrival of Aslan brought a lump to my throat, the battle rocked.

Narnians 1
Spaniards 0

Theology gets a 9 out of 10.
The feeling of the books translated to film 4 out of 10.
Enjoyability: 8.5 out of 10.

More later...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am

I thought it was a little slow in the beginning at parts, but overall paced very well. In fact, I was most impressed with the way the action and emotion both increasingly peaked throughout the final hour or so, and didn't let up until the end. Theologically, there is SOOO much here about faith,depending on a higher power other than yourself, failing when you try and do it on your own,pride,the evil power turning two good characters against each other(Peter and Caspian),etc.,etc. I know most of these things will not be noticed by the average action flic fan, but they were very significant to me. And I realize that most will see this as an ACTION flic, but it is so much more(IMO) The characters are devolped sooo much better than the usual action flic's characters. I'm gonna start reading the book, and try to get it read before I go see the movie again. This will be a 2 or 3 see in the theaters for me, just like "Return of the King" was.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon May 19, 2008 7:11 pm

hmm... well.. that was *quite* a departure from the book...

I didn't like the added subplot of the Ice Queen appearing, or the 'love' interest between Susan and Caspian.

There really didnt seem to be a whole lot of 'plot', but I have to say the second battle scene was extremely enjoyable.

Favorite Scene: Narnian army taking out the pillars to collapse the ground beneath
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Bnielsen wrote:hmm... well.. that was *quite* a departure from the book...

I didn't like the added subplot of the Ice Queen appearing, or the 'love' interest between Susan and Caspian.

There really didnt seem to be a whole lot of 'plot', but I have to say the second battle scene was extremely enjoyable.

Favorite Scene: Narnian army taking out the pillars to collapse the ground beneath
That was one of my favorite scenes also. As to the two subplots-I knew when watching them, they probably weren't in the book, I enjoyed both. I think the duel between Peter and Miraz was one of the best such scenes ever! I loved the close camera shots. i loved watching Edmund do battle also, and when the birds carried them while they shot their bows, I could go on and on.........