Dark Knight

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Dark Knight

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 pm

So.... anyone see it yet?!
Last edited by Bnielsen on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 pm

No, but I've seen Dark Knight. Twice. (ahaha, I'm so picky)

Amazing movie. Joker is the best villain I have ever seen, ever. The "pencil trick" is the best part of the movie :P
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 pm

WOW! I just saw it in the IMAX, and it ROCKED!! The joker was so insanely freakish, it was awesome!!

Plus, it was really fun to see the city I live in - the Chicago skyline was everywhere, but even in the little details - one of the familiar Chicago bus designs read "gta" instead of "cta" on the side.

Man, I need to see it again.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Osaka

Post by Osaka » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 pm

I love The Dark Knight! It's awesome!!! It really bothered me that they switched actresses for Rachel, though. I was sitting there, thinking, "hey......wait a sec...that's not Rachel! Where did she go?"
and Joker is very well done.
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I was happy about the Rachel thing - I really hate Katie Holmes.

I was a little hesitant about the Joker when I saw just the trailer - he seemed too weird with the messed up makeup and all. I grew up on the old (really bad) Batman TV show, and I was all expecting perfect clown makeup and tilted camera, and I wasn't sure what they were doing. After I saw the character in action for the first time, I totally got it though. This was WAY better. (And Rumpska, seconded on the pencil trick! ROFL awesome!!)

Also, from a linguistic perspective, the Joker's invented "Typical Midwestern Accent" reminded me a little of Agent Smith's or Monty Python's "Typical American Accent" - it sounds familiar, but nobody REALLY talks like that. (It's all in the liquids, man - r's and l's! And the short a's!) Oh, good times for linguistic fun. I kinda want to be able to talk like that.

Man, i so need to see this again...

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:13 am

I saw it and was rocked. The Joker was the star (Oscar-worthy) - acting by the rest of the cast was so-so, Gary Oldman being the exception.
Best action hero movie by a long shot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 pm

The movie has taken a considerably more creepy turn now that I've heard a certain rumor: apparently, the reason Heath was taking so many sleeping pills was because he hadn't been able to sleep for four months because playing the character of the Joker really got to his head. He was just so evil, you know? He was exceptional in the role, but I can certainly see getting into that character really having an effect on someone's everyday life.

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Oh I heard somewhere he locked himself in a room for days to get into the role. It messes with your head.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:10 pm

I don't want to make light of the tragic circumstances of Ledger's death but it does remind me of a story they tell about Dustin Hoffman; apparently he came to the set of Marathon Man one day looking like a real wreck. So, Laurence Olivier asked him why he would come to the set in such terrible condition. Hoffman, who was (and I guess still is) famous for being totally committed to Method Acting, replied that his chracter hadn't slept in three days so he stayed up for the last two nights to get into the part. Olivier just says "Ah," and begins to walk off. After a second he pauses, walks back sand say, "Have you tried acting??"
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:00 pm

I've seen it twice, and Ledger's performance still creeped me out, and I knew what to expect. It's still impossible for me to try and strip away the make-up in my head-and imagine that is him in that role. I'm sorry-but there is NOTHING in his previous performances that even hint of the genius of this performance. It will be the biggest injustice of award history if he does not win EVERY major and minor award for this-esp. the oscar. And all who have seen it will know He deserved in spite of the cirumstances. This performance and Chris Nolan's directing also set this apart from EVERY other super-hero flick ever made. One of the creepiest and darkest flics ever.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].