Wishlist for Rotk Extended Edition

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:59 pm

It's no fair taking isolated snippets from my argument! I was saying Treebeard is the oldest mortal creature, but Tom is older than the earth, so he's the oldest Maia or something. Thus Tom is older.

what exactly can cause an elf to die? They die form "fire and iron" as is said somewhere, they can pine away from grief and be slain. But can they starve? Or suffocate? (well, Amroth drowned, so I guess suffocation is ok) Would an elf survive biological warfare, since they can't get sick? Just something I've always wondered.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:36 pm

Maybe a new thread under books would be a good place for this.

no one is using this to post wishes for RotKx
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:26 am

Yeah, that's the way this forum (as well as most others) is...

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:12 pm

Every time I saw Elrond in RotK, all I kept thinking was, 'How did Steve Howe get in this movie??' :shock:

April

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:01 am

CanarioAB wrote:Every time I saw Elrond in RotK, all I kept thinking was, 'How did Steve Howe get in this movie??' :shock:

April

With a few pounds added on, I can see your point! lol
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:53 pm

I hope you meant with a few pounds added on to Steve!! He's nearly invisible when he stands sideways :lol:

April

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:44 am

Fingolfin wrote:
...unlike Sam, I actually have a life. :eyebrow:

haha, like lying amid the dust of Mandos is really a life....:wink: Sorry, I know this part of the forum has been dead for ages (kinda like Fingy...) but I just laughed when I saw that and so I had to say something. :)

Reading these old convos between Idoron and Sam is really interesting, I'm exercising my brain...the tolkien part anyway...

Say, why does Cirdan have a beard anyway, wasn't this covered in another forum...I still dont know the answer

Oh, and one I've been meaning to ask Sam for a while, I like your elf-avatar, did you draw that and who is it?
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:02 am

lol - fingy - he's a nutcase. RIP, dude.

Cirdan has a beard because Tolkien felt like giving him a beard - my guess is that he is one of the elements of the story that was greatly influenced from the earliest versions of Middle Earth, when the Noldor were known as Gnomes, and elves diminished with size (and visibility) as men grew stronger, and all that. I don't think Tolkien ever answers this question though (it always bugged me, too!).

My avatar is the head of some random elf from a watercolor painting of the death of Beren, called "The Quest Fulfilled". I can't remember who painted it, but this artists painted a ton of Sil and LotR pictures... I could find it in a minute on the site, but apparently it's down for a few days. http://www.nightrunner.com/gallery/html/ It's a really great site though.

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:15 pm

After going to www.lordoftherings.net , the official movie site, I have seen the trailer for the ROTK extended version. I don't want to spoil for anyone so go there yourselves....

Anyway, There is one part I have aquestion about. It's when Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Eomer, and Theoden ride up to Orthanc to get Merry and Pippin. Saruman is on top of the tower and Gandalf say the his life will be spared if he comes down. Saurman says he wants no pity and sends a giant fireball down from his staff onto Gandalf. Then It's goes to another scene.

In another scene, the witchking, on his fell beast confronts Gandalf and Pippin whhile they're atop Shadowfax. Gandalf tells him to go back to the abyss. The witch king's sword turns into flame and he says something. Anyone know what happens during these two scenes?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:44 pm

The Saruman scene happens in Two Towers (book) after the battle of Helm's deep, when Gandalf, Theoden, and Co, being victorious, travel from Helm's Deep to Isengard, where the Ents have kept Saruman in the tower. Gandalf tries to reason with Saruman, giving him a chance to repent, but Saruman refuses. Grima throws the Palantir out of the window.

Skip to the Battle of the Pelennor fields in RotK. Minas Tirith is under siege, Aragorn hasn't come yet, and the Witch King is advancing his troops and it looks like Gondor is in for some really bad times. Then they take out Grond, the big battering ram, and start breaking down the door. Gandalf takes Shadowfax to go stand at the door, and everyone else is fleeing in terror. Pippin, meanwhile is racing to tell Gandalf that Denethor is trying to burn himself and Faramir, who is alive but ill. When finally the door shatters, the Witch King starts to enter, riding his black horse. Gandalf alone stands in his way. (This whole sequence was my favorite in the book, and thus is the gravest unforgivable crime that Jackson cut it out) Great confrontation. You should read it. In the movie, it appears that this confrontation happens after Pippin has talked to Gandalf, and Gandalf is racing to save Denethor, and the Witch King confronts them on the wall on his flying thing instead. In the trailer he says, "Old fool, this is my hour." But before anything can happen, the horns of Rohan ring out and the dawn comes (there had been a blackness like night over the land, sent by Sauron). I would highly recommend reading at least this chapter or two in the book. :)

Long answer, I'm sorry. I got carried away.

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:15 am

Sam, I appreciate, indeed, your answer. I will go back to the book.

Thanks!!