idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Wishlist for Rotk Extended Edition

Post by idoron » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:44 pm

Wish list for Extended Edition:
1. See Legolas settle in Ithilien
2. See Gimli settle in the Glittering Caves
3. More around Theoden's "decision" to ride to save Gondor ("Why should we go" "OK, let's go")
4. Resolution to the whole "Saruman" problem
5. See the kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor "in action" after the coronation
6. The deaths or burials of Aragorn, Arwen, Merry and Pippin
7. The replusion of the attacks made upon rohan, erebor and lothlorien at the same time as the Battle of Pelennor Fields
8. Sam leaving the grey havens for the undying lands [not cannon]
9. Legolas and Gimli set sail from the Mouth of the Anduin.
10. Houses of Healing
11. Uh, Witch King vs Gandalf, helloooooo? ("I will break him" [they never meet] huh?)
12. Denethor makes Pippin sing, dance, juggle

(just kidding on that last one)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Wishlist for Rotk Extended Edition

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:53 pm

idoron wrote:Wish list for Extended Edition:
1. See Legolas settle in Ithilien
2. See Gimli settle in the Glittering Caves
3. More around Theoden's "decision" to ride to save Gondor ("Why should we go" "OK, let's go")
4. Resolution to the whole "Saruman" problem
5. See the kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor "in action" after the coronation
6. The deaths or burials of Aragorn, Arwen, Merry and Pippin
7. The replusion of the attacks made upon rohan, erebor and lothlorien at the same time as the Battle of Pelennor Fields
8. Sam leaving the grey havens for the undying lands [not cannon]
9. Legolas and Gimli set sail from the Mouth of the Anduin.
10. Houses of Healing
11. Uh, Witch King vs Gandalf, helloooooo? ("I will break him" [they never meet] huh?)
12. Denethor makes Pippin sing, dance, juggle

(just kidding on that last one)

I've seen photos of Gandalf and the Witch King, and I've seen photos of Aragorn and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. I'll bet that Saruman is resolved, and I have heard that the Mouth of Sauron will be included.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Re: Wishlist for Rotk Extended Edition

Post by idoron » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:45 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I've seen photos of Aragorn and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing

Great. I already have this "thing" about how in the movies, especially TTTx (extended DVD) Aragorn should end up with Eowyn. This isn't going to make it any easier to accept. I guess it is partly because I think Liv T is a bad cast as Arwen.

(Best cast elf: Haldir, the rest are more or less neutral, but not great)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:28 pm

I beg to differ. best cast: Hugo Weaving. ^_^

Oh, and Sean Bean is incredible. Wow. He takes the Boromir that Tolkien wrote and brings him to life. It's awesome.

Actually, Liv's acting skills totally crack me up. (I probably should have said "lack thereof".) She uses the same voice for everything! You know, that "I'm so important and this single sentence I have to say is the most important thing in the world and it;'s really dramatic because the whole world revolvse around me" voice: "It is time." "I have made my choice." "There is hope." All 100% exactly the same voice, and those are only 3 of her lines! 98% of the rest of her lines are said in that same voice as well!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:52 pm

I personally would like more time with Sam in the tower, and more time with Mordor (which is going to happen - they're going to be marched along with the company of orcs and everything). And also, the Palantir and Aragorn (which supposedly will happen to.)

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:23 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:I beg to differ. best cast: Hugo Weaving. ^_^

Oh, and Sean Bean is incredible. Wow. He takes the Boromir that Tolkien wrote and brings him to life. It's awesome.

Actually, Liv's acting skills totally crack me up. (I probably should have said "lack thereof".) She uses the same voice for everything! You know, that "I'm so important and this single sentence I have to say is the most important thing in the world and it;'s really dramatic because the whole world revolvse around me" voice: "It is time." "I have made my choice." "There is hope." All 100% exactly the same voice, and those are only 3 of her lines! 98% of the rest of her lines are said in that same voice as well!

Sean Bean is an amazing Boromir.
Miranda Otto is an incredible Eowyn.
I warmed up to Hugo in RotK a lot more. Elves have this subtle quality: a mixture of life (immortality), mirth, great sorrow (ages upon ages of war and loss) and weariness (of the world). Haldir (name?) is the only elf that does this for me.

I liked Hugo the mourning, but happy father in RotK. What he didn't bring to the role is that fact that Elrond had to make a choice very similar to Arwen's, when he was given the choice to be counted among the Eldar or Edain, and he chose Eldar. Why? Was he ever drawn to choose the Edain? What about it was attractive? Does that generate sympathy for his daughter's choice?

I also would have liked to see Mother-in-Law/Son-in-law dynamic between Elrond and Galadriel. But maybe that would be better left to sitcom format. :lol:

"When are you ever going to get a promotion?"
"I bear a Ring of Power, what else do you want?"

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:40 am

idoron wrote:
I also would have liked to see Mother-in-Law/Son-in-law dynamic between Elrond and Galadriel. But maybe that would be better left to sitcom format. :lol:

"When are you ever going to get a promotion?"
"I bear a Ring of Power, what else do you want?"

Okay, now you are starting to worry me a bit.......

"HOney I'm home....."
"Don't mind the orc blood on the front stoop dear, we had some univited guests"
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:20 pm

Haldir? Really? I thought he was a pretty good elf, but he didn't strike me as that exceptional. (it's Craig Parker btw. it's funny - I mention his name, and everybody asks 'What?' then I say, 'you know, Haldir.' 'who?' *sigh* 'the elf who dies in helm's deep.' 'ohhhhh...' did you see the pic of him with Steve? ghfan.net)

I thought hugo really got the bittersweet elvishness down, especially in the Council of Elrond. Look at his face when he says "the Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft we here possess..." Freeze frame. I had a picture of him somewhere... bing! Warofthering.net/ Very handy site. http://www.warofthering.net/photos/fotrelrond/imagepages/image34.shtml (I drew a picture of this image because i found it and liked it, it's not like I pay that much attention to abosultely every frame in the movie and remember them all) Anyway, the way hugo says that line really seems so sad but wise. there are some scenes where he's not that great (especially when the lighting is unfavorable and he looks somewhat older, instead of eternally young), but I really like him in the council of elrond.

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:28 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote: Haldir? Really? I thought he was a pretty good elf, but he didn't strike me as that exceptional. (it's Craig Parker btw. it's funny - I mention his name, and everybody asks 'What?' then I say, 'you know, Haldir.' 'who?' *sigh* 'the elf who dies in helm's deep.' 'ohhhhh...' did you see the pic of him with Steve? ghfan.net)

I thought hugo really got the bittersweet elvishness down, especially in the Council of Elrond. Look at his face when he says "the Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft we here possess..."

I don't know what it is about {looks up} Craig Parker. Just think he has that certain something.

I am familar with the nuances of the Council scene. Elrond in the films is such a defeatist. He lacks the resolute stubborness of the elves once his mind is made up. That is partly the script, so maybe my complaint is more with the writing team.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:30 pm

idoron wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote: Haldir? Really? I thought he was a pretty good elf, but he didn't strike me as that exceptional. (it's Craig Parker btw. it's funny - I mention his name, and everybody asks 'What?' then I say, 'you know, Haldir.' 'who?' *sigh* 'the elf who dies in helm's deep.' 'ohhhhh...' did you see the pic of him with Steve? ghfan.net)

I thought hugo really got the bittersweet elvishness down, especially in the Council of Elrond. Look at his face when he says "the Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft we here possess..."

I don't know what it is about {looks up} Craig Parker. Just think he has that certain something.

I am familar with the nuances of the Council scene. Elrond in the films is such a defeatist. He lacks the resolute stubborness of the elves once his mind is made up. That is partly the script, so maybe my complaint is more with the writing team.

The films fail to mention that Elrond was fighting in Mirkwood (wasn't he?) or that the Dwarves were fighting in Esgaroth. It was a World War!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:48 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:The films fail to mention that Elrond was fighting in Mirkwood (wasn't he?) or that the Dwarves were fighting in Esgaroth. It was a World War!
Steve

Not sure where Elrond is. According appendix B (tale of years) Sauron attacks Rohan from the north (repelled by the Ents), Mirkwood (Battle under the Trees), Lorien (who fight them off 3 times :shock:), and Dale/Esgaroth/Erebor. Dale is overrun and the men and dwarves take refuge under the mountain.

That is why those battles are on my wishlist.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:03 am

The only thing I miss at this point (this will probably change after I reread it) is the scouring of the shire. I guess I'm the only one who likes that part. I admit that it is a little unnecessary, especially since a film version wouldn't really work as well with another little microcosm at the end, but they still should have brought Bill back. You know, Bill the pony. I loved Bill. When I first read the bokos, I was more saddened by the Fellowship having to leave Bill behind at Moria than I was at Gandalf dying. I kinda knew that Gandalf would be back, because he rocked so much, but Bill was defenseless. Poor pony... :( Anyway, they only mention Bill in the *nonextended* films when he leaves, so there is no attatchment or character development. I'm tired...
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:02 am

Theremin wrote:The only thing I miss at this point (this will probably change after I reread it) is the scouring of the shire. I guess I'm the only one who likes that part....

Oh no, not the only one..I wish I could hug Tolkien for including such a detailed conclusion..I think the Scouring of the Shire and all the falling action at the end of the book was my favorite part..even more than the destruction of the ring.
I HATE things left unresolved..(For instance STUPID Portrait of a Lady which I just finished..or the ending of Truman Show-even though I still like the Truman Show)
I also hate great things (like RoTK) coming to an end..so maybe that's why I'm so fond of it being drawn out.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:26 am

Reepicheep wrote:
Theremin wrote:The only thing I miss at this point (this will probably change after I reread it) is the scouring of the shire. I guess I'm the only one who likes that part....

Oh no, not the only one..I wish I could hug Tolkien for including such a detailed conclusion..I think the Scouring of the Shire and all the falling action at the end of the book was my favorite part..even more than the destruction of the ring.
I HATE things left unresolved..(For instance STUPID Portrait of a Lady which I just finished..or the ending of Truman Show-even though I still like the Truman Show)
I also hate great things (like RoTK) coming to an end..so maybe that's why I'm so fond of it being drawn out.

I never really appreciated the scouring until the last reading of ROTK a couple of months back. (this was my first reading in years) It is a terrific conclusion.
Steve

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:05 am

Another added wishlist item:

Legolas Greenleaf long under tree seeing and hearing the sea for this first time, for ever there his heart will always be.