Passion vs. ROTK

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:49 pm

alien2112 wrote:But the end, when Jesus just walked out of the tomb, it seemed to say it all.

Yeah, I agree. Nothing else was needed. As for showing all the suffering in graphic detail, I think it was about time someone depicted it that way. Crucifixion was certainly a nasty way to execute people, and I don't think sanitizing it helps at all in telling the story.
And now for something completly different...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:53 pm

If they really wanted to do the Resurrection well, they'd have to do another movie. Either a little hint foreshadowing that the story is far from over or really botch up a speed through version, which would be terrible. I mean, it is the Passion of the Christ, not the Whole Pascal Mystery of the Life of Christ, and it's not like people don't already know the ending.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:26 am

Most passion plays I have seen don't show much after the resurrection anyway, so Mel Gibson's film is not any different. I just loved those idiotic complaints abou the movie not concentrating on the life of Jesus or focusing on his miracles. I guess they didn't quite understand what the title of the movie was. It would be like doing a movie on the final day in the life of JFK and having people complain that the movie didn't concentrate on his whole political career.

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:18 am

All points well taken, it's just that it's SO brief that if you blinked you would have missed it. A few more seconds would have helped, I think. A minor point, but still a point ;)
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:36 pm

Blinked? I don't think I blinked during that entire movie! No tears either, though I came awfully close...

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:58 pm

I haven't seen the edited version playing anywhere around the Bay Area this Eastertide. There is surely something to be said for the graphic violence done to the body of the Christ prompting one to meditate on and have a greater appreciation of God's love for us, and Sam's point about the Latin used in the film is a good one. I was chatting about this very subject with one of the priests at my parish and he recommended listening to the Bach Passions and compare reactions. Many moons ago I went to a live performance of the St. Matthew Passion and found it quite moving, so I'm going to see if I can dig up a copy and listen again. Different medium, same subject, much like LoTR novel vs. Jackson's films, both of which I appreciate for different reasons.

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:19 pm

I remember seeing a interview with Peter Jackson where he said he took the approach that the events of Lord of the Rings actually happened on earth 10,500-7000 years ago. (If your familiar with the TLC special from the 1990's on the dating of when most of the megalith monuments of Europe and other structures like the Egyptian, Mayan, and Aztec pyramids may have been erected around 10,500 and the whole "feathered serpent" mythology it makes more sense).

If the events of the Passion and ROTK had come to a close at the same time, I think the only change in ROTK would be Aragorn's line to the Hobbits at the crowning ceremony
as he pointed to Jesus and said "You bow to no man, well except this guy. whispers to Frodo "it's Eru, The One, visiting Middle Earth in Dunedain form to see if Gandalf really took care of the Balrog as Manwe and Varda asked Gandalf to on behalf of Eru". :wink: (Get out yer Silmarillion if that one is too obscure)
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you