Passion vs. ROTK

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Passion vs. ROTK

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:33 pm

Just read that:

With solid receipts expected through Easter on April 11, "The Passion" is on track to gross between $350 million and $400 million, said Rob Schwartz, head of distribution for Newmarket Films, which handled the release.

That would put it on par with "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," which took in another $2.05 million over the weekend to push its total to $371.2 million.

dang.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:42 pm

HA HA!
At least after the horrible Oscar results there is some justice in this world...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:57 pm

Comparing these two movies just seems impossible to me. They are so different from each other that I'm not sure it's anything but an exercise in futility.

April

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:44 pm

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm "touchy-feely" as my dad likes to call it, but both movies seem to have the same feeling of "greatness", if you can catch my drift. I don't know if that's even close to what I feel.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:25 pm

What's the deal with the recut version? NOBODY saw it. Of course I didn't go either. I guess everone had their fill for now... Still, I expected crowds to go again. I was way off on that prediction. A shame, because now they are trying to say last year was a fluke... But what the heck do they know anyway???
And now for something completly different...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:32 am

Why are they counting so early though? It's barely holy week! I know at least for me that watching the Passion will become a yearly tradition - on Good Friday. And I'm sure that I am far from alone in this. The real money will be made this week. At movie stores too. You got your annual Christmas movies, your Halloween movies - here's a good Triduum movie.

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:42 pm

I know a ton of folks from a church in the UK that are going this week to see the newly cut version of The Passion. They are taking youth that they didn't feel appropriate to take to see the original. I suspect that might be the case for other groups as well. Hopefully.

Mel's Passion of the Christ is the closest thing to a perfect movie that I've ever seen artistically, technically and theologically (with a few minor theologic exceptions that I attribute to artistic license). The movie had me rivetted. To have such sublime symbolism of hope and love in the midst of such intense suffering just transformed me in the watching.

My $.02. Those were the 2 things that stuck with me the most, not the violence.

I think both movies are larger than life, certainly. But fantasy vs. life-changing theology isn't a fair fight ;).
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:26 pm

There is one problem, its now playing in a lot less theaters due to its poor showing. People may want to go now, but its a matter of finding a theater.
And now for something completly different...

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:58 pm

A year later I still have mixed feelings about Mel Gibson's Passion. On one hand, I respect his desire to present a moving visual depicting the suffering of the Christ. Rememberance of the passion of Christ is a reason Roman Catholic churches depict the Stations of the Cross in every parish. It has always struck me as very Catholic to focus intently on the earthly sufferings of Jesus. In my experience, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, Protestant churches don't do this as much, hence no Corpus Christi or Stations of the Cross in churches. That said, Gibson's Passion strikes me as going a little too far in its depiction of the violence done to the body of Jesus. Some Catholics tend to focus too much on suffering IMHO. I believe Gibson is a member of a small RC splinter group that has rejected the reforms of Vatican II, so perhaps this has something to do with it.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see the edited version and compare it to the original. Gibson does get props from me for using Aramaic and Latin.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:27 pm

So they go through all that trouble of accuracy - and then they use Church Latin, not Classical Latin. :P That bugged me.

I don't think that it focused on the violence too much - I think it's necessary for any Christian to understand what "suffered, died, and was buried" means. A little happy crucifix with neat little red spots around the nail marks doesn't always give you the full understanding of the extent of the pain Christ suffered - and thus gives you a less complete understanding of how much he loves you. *shrug*

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:05 am

Personally, I think the new cut is a sellout. The whole point of the film IMO was to not compromise- to make people confront and deal with the seriousness of what happened. And through all the controversy Mel stuck to his vision of what he intended to do with the film. And frankly this new line of "well, we wanted people who didn't have the stoumach for it to be able to enjoy the film" sounds like both a hypocritical move and a money grab.

Am I off base here??
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:01 am

It's prolly a little of both- I mean, I can't really give much of an opinion without seeing the re-release but for younger children, this perhaps gives them the chance to see it without giving them nightmares of roman centurians and quests of glo... er, I mean nightmares of the movie :wink:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Personally, from what I've seen of Mel, I think he released a modified version to make it available to those who shied away from the original because of the tales of gore and torture. Mel simply doesn't impress me as doing it for the money -- not after the gamble he took with the original. After the popularity of the original, he certainly doesn't need the money.

It's likely a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I am choosing to believe that his intentions were honorable, and that his primary purpose was outreach. Given the subject matter, he will be criticized either way, just like he was when it came out in the beginning.

I agree with Sam about the suffering issue. I think severe suffering makes you more appreciative of being rescued from it rather than from superficial punishment. I do wish that Mel had spent more than a few seconds on the Resurrection though. I agree in that regard too -- I mean, isn't Resurrection really the ultimate purpose? Without it there was no point to any of it.

My $.02, YMMV
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:41 pm

CanarioAB wrote: I do wish that Mel had spent more than a few seconds on the Resurrection though. I agree in that regard too -- I mean, isn't Resurrection really the ultimate purpose? Without it there was no point to any of it.

So true.
That's the main problem I have with a lot of Jesus/Crucifixion related productions.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:58 pm

But the end, when Jesus just walked out of the tomb, it seemed to say it all.