RotK Extended Edition

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

RotK Extended Edition

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:02 pm

Anyone seen it yet? I watched part of it alst night, and can conclude that so far, the first hour of the movie that was excellent has been turned into an hour and a half hour of excellence. I'm worried for the rest, though... (I especially like the part they added with Sam threatening Gollum, and the part with Faramir and Pippin - it's little things like these that the movie really needed...)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: RotK Extended Edition

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:52 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Anyone seen it yet? I watched part of it alst night, and can conclude that so far, the first hour of the movie that was excellent has been turned into an hour and a half hour of excellence. I'm worried for the rest, though... (I especially like the part they added with Sam threatening Gollum, and the part with Faramir and Pippin - it's little things like these that the movie really needed...)
Saw part one last night and loved it. Part two tomorrow :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:38 pm

I watched the whole thing Tuesday. There was one thing that really annoyed me (you'll know when you get there) but all in all I think it's the most dramatic improvment of all the three EEs.

The Theatrical Version does not even exist. THIS is the movie.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 am

Finally saw the extended edition.

My general thoughts.

1. The added scenes were exactly what PJ said the extended versions would be - props for people who read the books first.

2. The added and extended scenes didn't fix some of the most glaring weaknesses of the film (Theoden's decision to ride to war, etc.). Which disappointed me.

3. I still don't know what I think about the resolution of the Saruman problem. The movie is stronger because of it, but it introduces some other questions whose answers, as much as I can tell, don't make sense.

4. The build up to the battle of the Pelennor, which I think was inadequate, did get a little better with the extended scenes between Gandalf and Pippin, but the victory still seemed too easy for me.

5. The showdown between Gandalf and The Witch King was insufficient.

6. The part of the movie that needed more footage desperately didn't get it. After the coronation, what happens to Gimli and Legolas? What happens to Rohan? What about Faramir and Eowyn, etc. Come on

Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but I <b>need</b> so much more.
Last edited by idoron on Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:45 am

One more thought:

The Mouth of Sauron was hands down the best addition.

But it looked like his helmet was engraved with Cirth, where Sauron would have used Tengwar. But that isn't the first time this has happened.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:48 am

It. Needed. The. Scouring. Of. The. Shire. 'nuff said.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 am

(Probably for the first and only time in history ;))I agree with what idoron said - some of my main problems exactly.

PJ was promising he'd add in Eowyn and Faramir... Whta did we get? Probably between 30 seconds and 2 minutes worth, with maybe three lines of dialogue. I mean, come on! The difference is so slight it's hardly worth putting in at all! Thanks PJ. :roll:

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:49 am

Bnielsen wrote:It. Needed. The. Scouring. Of. The. Shire. 'nuff said.
We all knew after seeing the theatrical version that it wouldn't make it in. And as soon as we saw Grima pull the knife on Orthanc we double-knew.

The Scouring of the Shire is too complex for this (any?) film adaptation. I think that the scene of the four hobbits sitting around a table with their ale is as close as we will get in a film version. The scouring of the shire is NOT a happy ending. The Shire and everything that it stands for is disappearing from Middle Earth. It would be very hard for a filmgoing audience to leave satisfied with a Scouring ending.

There would be a collective "All that for NOTHING?!" at the end of the film. The overall rhetorical message of the story would also be very different. Much more complex that an American audience (in particular) can handle from a major release.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:57 am

Yeah, I agree. (Wow, it happened again! ;)) Great ending for the book, but it really wouldn't have worked for the movie. people were already whining about the "endless endings" as it is now. Actually, even for the book people complain that it's poor writing style. but tough for them because it works.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:05 pm

-sigh- lol Sam infected me with her 'Compleatness' virus apparently
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:18 pm

Don't know exactly what you're talking about, but if you're going to attribute a virus to me, at least spell it correctly. So that would be "Completeness". :P ;)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Don't know exactly what you're talking about, but if you're going to attribute a virus to me, at least spell it correctly. So that would be "Completeness". :P ;)
Unless of course I was using the English spelling of it.
Brian Nielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: RotK Extended Edition

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:00 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Anyone seen it yet? I watched part of it alst night, and can conclude that so far, the first hour of the movie that was excellent has been turned into an hour and a half hour of excellence. I'm worried for the rest, though... (I especially like the part they added with Sam threatening Gollum, and the part with Faramir and Pippin - it's little things like these that the movie really needed...)
Yeah, I am about halfway though it now, I rented it from Blockbuster (how nice 4 dvds for the price of one) and I agree- most of the added stuff is great... although it was pretty gross the way Saruman died lol.
Brian Nielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:
PJ was promising he'd add in Eowyn and Faramir... Whta did we get? Probably between 30 seconds and 2 minutes worth, with maybe three lines of dialogue. I mean, come on! The difference is so slight it's hardly worth putting in at all! Thanks PJ. :roll:
Well, an extra 2 minutes is about a 500% improvement on the theatrical version.

For me the Extended Edition helped round out a film that I already enjoyed more than Two Towers. However I would like to have seen Sam say in Osgiliath "I don't think Mr. Tolkien meant for us to come this way." :)
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:34 am

The extra bits of dialouge, and some of the timelines changed works much better for me.
By the way, that Mouth of Sauron dude freeeeaaakkkeeeeddd me out! :evil: :shock:
Brian Nielsen