RotK Extended Edition

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:13 am

I'm dying to see the extended version. I need to take advantage of my brother's big screen tv, not to mention he owns the DVD. LOTR just does not work on a 27" screen. I'm guessing this extended version may fill in some details for a heretic like me -not having read the books....
And now for something completly different...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:58 am

It'll probably just get you more confused. Jackson is a poor substitute for reading the books, even if you watch in larger quantities. ;)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:28 pm

idoron wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:It. Needed. The. Scouring. Of. The. Shire. 'nuff said.

We all knew after seeing the theatrical version that it wouldn't make it in. And as soon as we saw Grima pull the knife on Orthanc we double-knew.

The Scouring of the Shire is too complex for this (any?) film adaptation. I think that the scene of the four hobbits sitting around a table with their ale is as close as we will get in a film version. The scouring of the shire is NOT a happy ending. The Shire and everything that it stands for is disappearing from Middle Earth. It would be very hard for a filmgoing audience to leave satisfied with a Scouring ending.

There would be a collective "All that for NOTHING?!" at the end of the film. The overall rhetorical message of the story would also be very different. Much more complex that an American audience (in particular) can handle from a major release.

I agree to a point. I don't believe that "The Scouring" could nor should have been added to the Extended RotK DVD; I do think that, for true Tolkein followers, "The Scouring" could have been made as a "part 4". It would have given me something to see this past Christmas. It's very complicated and I do believe it could have been a full feature-length movie. However, that means that PJ would have had to cut the "Grima kills Saruman" scene at Orthanc. It would have been put where it belonged. The ending? Well, like I said, it would be good for true followers. The Battle of Bywater, the actual last battle in the war of the ring, would have paled in comparison to Helm's Deep ot Pelennor Fields. The general public who saw the films without a clue about one page of the books would have not liked it; most likley...
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:32 pm

"Jackson is a poor substitute for reading the books, even if you watch in larger quantities. " I'm just not into novels. Beside, film and books are completly different things, I would never compare the two. My immense enjoyment of the LOTR movies is the only thing that would ever get me to read the books. I read a decent amount nowadays, just very seldom fiction. Watching a well made movie is much more enjoyable to me, no matter how good the book may be.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:07 am

If you're not a reader, it's going to be an excruciating trial to even plow your way through Fellowship... Tolkien is a good writer not because of his style, and you have to go a long way before you reap the rewards. My guess is you'll stop because you're bored out of your mind, as happens to most of the non-readers to attempt. But that's ok... there are other good thinsg in this world. So they say.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:34 pm

I'll still give it a go later this year. I'm so far behind in my reading. I've been home for the past 5 weeks recovering from a torn knee ligament, yet I've hardly read anything, pathetic, I know.