The Moment You Hated The Most...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

The Moment You Hated The Most...

Post by Belithraldor » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:12 am

We all know that while the movies are based on the books, it's getting more and more difficult to compare the two; especially as I read further and further the trilogy. I picked it up after finishing The Hobbit a few weeks ago. I just see so much difference and so much that was omitted from the movies.

Anyway, what part, scene, event, or whatever did you just absolutely loath in the trilogy? For me, it was the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch-King. As you probably know, in the RotK ext. version, they meet and the Witch-King shatters Gandalf's staff. The power of the Witch-King also knocks Gandalf and Pippin off Shadowfax. The look on Gandalf's face is of utter fear. It looks as though he cannot defeat the Witch-King. I believe differently...

I did not like this portrayal at all. As difficult as it is, I won't compare to the book's version. Just know that I didn't like it....

What's you most "unfavorite" part?
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:36 pm

The exact same for me too. Only intensified, since I also have a problem with the fact that it wasn't dark, we didn't hear the rooster, the horns, and then the charge. Theoden gives a huge pep talk, thus destroying all the momentum the pathetic little moment had to begin with.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Yeah, that bit. Luckily its brief. But the implication that WK would have wiped up Gandalf is absurd.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:46 pm

I liked the Theoden bit. Actually a highlight for me. He did a much better job of it than Aragorn did at the Gates.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:23 am

FredProgGH wrote:the implication that WK would have wiped up Gandalf is absurd.
I can't agree more...

MayorOfLongview wrote:I liked the Theoden bit. Actually a highlight for me. He did a much better job of it than Aragorn did at the Gates.
Steve
I liked the Theoden pep talk too. I also liked the Aragorn pep talk before Battle of the Morannon. I too wish it would have been more like Theoden's...
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:01 am

It was a great talk. It was just the wrong time and the wrong place in the movie to do it.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:28 am

hmm... least favorite bit of the movies....
I'm going to have to go with when Sam is sent away by Frodo- the acting was waaay overdone, it woud have NEVER happened that way, and I don't like seeing Sam Astin smash his face on the ledge below.

And whats with that funky grimace when he smashes the poor Lembas Bread?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:13 am

I agree the the WK and gandalf is a low moment.

I enjoyed Theoden's pep talk, but I am not sure which of his battle cries I like more:

Now for Wrath, for ruin and a red dawn

or

Ride to ruin and the world's ending

Both are pretty good.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:20 pm

I tear up every time they cry "DEATH!"
Brian Nielsen

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:38 pm

my two least favorite scenes are the one with the Witch King and Gandalf definately, because I agree that Gandalf the White would have nothing to fear from the WK and, he shattered his staff?!?! I mean, what was that all about?? That was just wierd.

the other one was definately, like Brian said, the part with Frodo sending Sam away. It TOTALLY wasnt like that in the books and I have to explain that to everyone I see the movie with who did not read the books becasue I think it is such and injustice. If PJ needed drama that badly that was a poor way to get it.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:38 am

Gandalf actually fought the Nazgul on Weathertop, just before Aragorn and the hobbits arrived there. Anyone remember how many he took on, and whether or not the WK was there?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:32 pm

It was three or four... I think the Witch King was the last one who joined them at the flight to the ford, the one who almost caught him, so that sould mean the Witch King was searching somewhere other than the area of Weathertop.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:11 am

He must have made up ground pretty quickly to have pierced Frodo on weathertop shortly afterward
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:39 am

Or I'm just plain wrong...

Gandalf in the Council (p.346 my version):

"Their Captain remained in secret away south of Bree, while two rode ahead through the village, and four more invaded the Shire. But when these were foiled in Bree and at Crickhollow they returned to their Captain with tidings and so left the Road ungauarded... The Captain then sent some eastward... and he himself with the rest rode along the Road in great wrath.
..I galloped to Weathertop... they were there before me. They drew away from me, for they felt the coming of my anger and they dared not face it while the Sun was in the sky. But they closed around at night, and I was besieged on the hill-top, in the old ring of Amon Sûl. I was hard put to it indeed: such light and flame cannot have been seen on Weathertop since the war beacons of old.
At sunrise I escaped and fled towards the north... It was impossible to find you, Frodo, in the wilderness, and it would have been folly to try with the Nine on my heels,... I hoped to draw some of them off.... Four Riders did indeed follow me, but they turned back after a while and made for the Ford, it seemed. That helped a little, for there were only five, not nine, when your camp was attacked."

So nevermind. It looks like Gandalf got attacked by all of them at once. Ouch!!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:18 pm

And also appears that he was forced to 'escape'.
Steve