The Moment You Hated The Most...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:43 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:And also appears that he was forced to 'escape'.
Steve

Remember also, that he was "Gandalf the Grey" during that time. I dare say that if they would have tried to attack or besiege Gandalf the White, the Nine would have met with a foe that they would have regreted engaging...
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:42 am

I know that people have their list of hated moments, but I try to look at it like this: PJ was making three films, each which must have moments of tension, etc. to carry the momentum of each film. (I try not to be a Purist in times like these - seems to me Purists could never be satisfied.) We know that Frodo never sent Sam away, but in terms of the film, it did add some tension to the story. Hated moments could be things left out -- but again, we must give PJ credit for what he did do.

For all that, I do have moments that bothered me. :D Moments I like to consider gratuitous elf. Example: Legolas sliding on a shield or an elephants trunk.

Aside from those, I have no major complaints.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:44 am

milomorai wrote:I know that people have their list of hated moments, but I try to look at it like this: PJ was making three films, each which must have moments of tension, etc. to carry the momentum of each film. (I try not to be a Purist in times like these - seems to me Purists could never be satisfied.) We know that Frodo never sent Sam away, but in terms of the film, it did add some tension to the story. Hated moments could be things left out -- but again, we must give PJ credit for what he did do.

For all that, I do have moments that bothered me. :D Moments I like to consider gratuitous elf. Example: Legolas sliding on a shield or an elephants trunk.

Aside from those, I have no major complaints.

I understand and agree with you. PJ had to do what he did. Now, the skateboarding thing in Helm's Deep and on the Mumakil's trunk? I don't think so....

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:38 pm

I can't really think I anything that I absolutely hate, but I remember my sister (who has read LOTR way more than I have) not liking the way Faramir was portrayed as power-hungry for the ring. But then the scene in the extended edition of TT (when Boromir and Faramir are shown talking together) kind of gave an explanation for it.

I'm just glad the movies were pretty faithful to the books. :roll:

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:I understand and agree with you. PJ had to do what he did. Now, the skateboarding thing in Helm's Deep and on the Mumakil's trunk? I don't think so....

I kinda liked those parts . . . :oops:

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:12 pm

I have quibbles with Jackson over a couple of points but in the end I have an abiding respect for how he brought Tolkien's wonderful story to the screen. Film and print are different mediums and so I can forgive him for leaving out Bombadil and the Scouring even though I would have loved to have seen these sections filmed. Overall, I'm left with a feeling of deep gratitude to the cast and crew for making this reader feel as if he's travelled to Middle Earth. When I'm watching the EE LoTR DVD's (and it is the EE's that really stand out to me) I really do feel as if I'm present in that world and that is no small feat. I can remember walking out of Fellowship after having seen it for the first time and thinking, "that was even better than I hoped for?" I still feel that way about the films.

As to the part I disliked most, I'd have to go with the way in some scenes the army of the dead appear a little too amorphous in battle.

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:53 pm

Belithraldor wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:And also appears that he was forced to 'escape'.
Steve

Remember also, that he was "Gandalf the Grey" during that time. I dare say that if they would have tried to attack or besiege Gandalf the White, the Nine would have met with a foe that they would have regreted engaging...

Remember that Gandalf's orders where not to resist in open force, but to bring the inhabitants of ME to the place that <i>they</i> could defeat Sauron.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:51 am

The wargs were a disspointment to me. The warg battle in Two Towers looked awful. Though, I actually ate breakfast with one of the riders! Theodon's armor bearer. (bragging about Toronto again!)

I also was disspointed with the 'folk' in the background. Hobbits are the exception.
For instance, the Elven extras and the Gondorian folk. I just never got the sense that a lot of other people were involved outside of the main characters. Even the soldiers of Rohan and Gondor. I looked for the details, which Tolkien was big on and so was Jackson. I think he slipped a little in the 'extras' dept.

Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart