Last movie you visited...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:13 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Saw the new HARRY POTTER yesterday. I really liked most of it-except t for the lengthy mid-section about the school dance and coming of age angle-a little of place to me in such a dark movie-but still enjoyed it over-all.
See, I loved that part of the movie. And that was the one part that stuck very close to the book. When I saw the first HP movie (I hadn't read the book yet), I never expected to care about the student interaction. I mostly wanted to see magic, wanted the real meat of the story, and to see cool effects. But I got caught up in the whole thing, especially the students dealing with each other. I guess I got into the human element of the story even more than the story itself. At this point I wont see any of the movies until I read the book -that started with "Azkaban". But I really enjoyed this most recent film. And it shocked me -in a good way, that they left the darkest elements intact. Its still a good morality play -Good versus evil, and at this point can't wait to see what happens next. Once I move to my new house in April I will tackle book 5. At over 800 pages, it should keep me busy for a while.
And now for something completly different...

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm

I saw "Glory Road" with my brother, thought it was a very nice movie, not relying too heavily on the sports or racial side of things.

I also saw "The New World" and liked the acting and artistic style of it, but found it to be a little on the long side.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:36 pm

The books are an easy read - remember, they're children's books. I read the 5th book on the GH trip to NEARFest 2003. Good stuff. :D

Does anyone have the desire to see The Hills Have Eyes? I'm really curious, and I just read a review on it. Is it supposed to take place in Oak Ridge, TN? Just curious.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:02 pm

Does anyone have the desire to see The Hills Have Eyes? I'm really curious, and I just read a review on it. Is it supposed to take place in Oak Ridge, TN? Just curious.[/quote]

I don't know-have to research that, but I've been very curious about it too. I remember seeing the original at the drive-in many moons ago.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:24 am

It just looks so gross / creepy. They were a government experiment gone awry, from what I gathered, and then turned into cannibals. Yay for backwoods. :roll:

Anyhow, I think I'll pay my student discount admission to check it out.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:49 am

First movie I've seen in theaters since winter break - V for Vendetta. Awesome movie. At times, especailly towards the end, it was a bit cliche and dialogue unoriginal, but as a whole, I really liked it. Yeah, so it wasn't entirely correct, yeah, so you could go into a discussion of whether he's actually a hero or not... but analysis aside, it was very enjoyable on multiple levels, both because of the plot and action and because it made you think. I can see how its cleverness could wear thin after multiple viewings, but I'm definitely going to go see it again. :) I love Hugo Weaving (candidate for Best Voice Ever, along with Liam Nieson) and I love Natalie Portman, so... Yay!

(although the movie would be so much better if the guy fawkes mask wasn't so ugly... :-p eeww...)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:26 am

A friend of mine said he couldn't get into VfV as much as he wanted to because the graphic novel is one of his favorites- he thought the movie really had to cut a lot of corners and made unnecessary changes. Apparently the politics in the GN are WAY more complex. But he thought without that bias he would have liked it a lot more. So, since I know nothing about it going into it I'll probably have a better time.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:05 pm

You love Natalie Portman???

So can she act in this movie?
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 pm

I agree with Sam. V is a fine, enjoyable film. I'm a fan of Alan Moore and it's true that his graphic novel is more complex than the film in many respects, but the script does a good job of translating what happens in the novel to the screen.

Natalie Portman can act and she is very good in V. About the only films I've seen where she appears to be a terrible actor are in those George Lucas written and directed Star Wars prequels and those things are terrible from an acting and directing standpoint across the board. The terrible comes from Lucas not from the actors IMO.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm

V For Vendetta is a phenomenal graphic novel (although I remember buying Warrior comic in the early 80's and being pissed off when it folded before Alan Moore could finish the story!).

It is also a very good movie. Being a fanboy comic geek, I winced slightly at some of the things V did, but overall it's the closest the Hollywood machine has come to doing Moore's work any kind of justice.

Alan still hates it though! :lol:

I'm not arguing with him!!
Last edited by SuperTed on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 pm

That pic isn't coming up Ted.

Moore can definitely be a contrarian!

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:02 pm

It might work now (hopefully)...

Alan Moore has always said that he writes his comic work to be unfilmable in his eyes and so he's never going to accept treatments like those given to V or From Hell or Constantine. I don't even believe he accepts royalties from these movies! :shock:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:35 am

Now that's a pic!

Alan Moore went so far as to ask DC to remove his name from all of his published work that they handle too!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Saw V for Vendetta last night- FANTASTIC FILM!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Saw "V for Vendetta" today-good movie. A little more character-driven, and less action than I was expecting, but the acting and the ending were very strong. Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rhea, and John Hurt head a very strong cast. Interesting story-I didn't read all the so-called politcal statements into it that others did.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].