Last movie you visited...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sat May 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Pirates 3 was pretty good. I loved the first scene. Too bad it's only 1:30 on the soundtrack. They shoulda added another verse or two. The ending just makes me sad though...

It's definately better than the second, and I like it more than the first.

One dissapointment: Davy Jones never did his *pop* thing with his mouth in this one.

Prrrrice? *pop*

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu May 31, 2007 11:02 am

yeshead 777 wrote:SPIDERMAN 3 ROCKS!!!!! There's alot to cover and wrap up-almost too much, but overall a great script,and some of the best action sequences in the whole series.Very dark at times, but great message of forgiveness at the end.
the wife and I finally got around to seeing Spidey 3 this past weekend and I thoroughy enjoyed it. If this is to be the last Spidey film for at least 20 years when another director will start over ala Batman and Superman, then it is a good place to end the story.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:38 am

Nah, they're gonna make more. If it will be the same director/characters is unknown. Tobey said he might do a Spidey 4. I sure hope so. The director also said that a character who will be coming back may not be as dead as people think. I doubt it's Venom, he just can't die, he's too cool. I got my money on Doc Ock. They could totally make it just like in the Spiderman 1 video game, Carnage (symbiote on a serial killer) fuses with Doc Ock and becomes a big monster thing.

Anyway, Carnage + Venom better be in Spidey 4.

Spiderman & Venom vs. Mutated Ock

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Anyone seen Harry Potter yet? Just wondering. I'll have to go see something next Mon. or Tues.-its either Transformers,HP, or 1408.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Saw this up in Maine while on holiday last Thursday. Order of the Phoenix is a bit of a sprawling novel with various threads. I thought the director and screenwriter did a nice job of boiling the story down to 2.5 hours. Probably my second favorite Potter film behind Alfonso Cuaron's (Pan's Labyrinth) lovely Prisoner of Azkaban.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Alfonso Cuaron didn't make Pan's Labyrinth- that was Guillermo del Toro. Cuaron made Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children Of Men.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:46 pm

I can't believe I confused the two! :smacksforehead:

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 am

Agreed on the Potter movie. There were one or two things changed in order to simplify the plot (the Harry and Cho thread was altered and sort of left hanging), and there were a few places where those who have not read the book will have to guess at the chain of events, but in all I think it is just about the best Potter movie so far.

The last book is due soon too, so here are a few predictions which I will edit after having read the book to make me look like a genius:

At least one Weasley will die, probably Arthur.

Harry's scar is a Horcrux.

Dumbledore's picture on the chocolate frog cards becomes quite handy at some point.

Draco resists going over to Voldemort.

I have no idea what will happen to Snape.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm

Those chocolate frogs are tasty! my daughter and I bought a ton of them last summer at our local ice cream/candy shop and finally, just before autumn, we got the Dumblydore card. It's still up on the fridge.

My whole family is looking forward to the new novel, but I have a feeling someone closer to Harry will die than Arthur Weasely.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:10 pm

time to liven up this topic! C'mon folks its summer! Go see Stardust, whether or not you have read the book or not. Gaiman also had much inolvement with the film and it is actually a little better in that he cleans up some rough spots that exist in the original graphic novel and by rough spots I mean he un-muddies the plot. If you loved the Princess Bride, this one is for you as well.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:23 am

I've heard "Stardust" is good, and also heard the comparisons to "Princess Bride", just a little darker I'm sure. I know I'll get "poo-poo'ed" for this-but the wife and I went and saw "Evan Almighty" at the cheapie theater yesterday, and we really enjoyed it. Totally escapism, but how bad can a movie be that has John Goodman playing a villian, and the hilarious Wanda Sykes. The CGI is great, Morgan Freeman is great, much more restrained in this one. And for those worried about the biblical/spiritural accuracy-I think it does a great job of updating a very real story, making it practical to modern times, and not too preachy. Yes, its campy and cheesy at times, but for us it was also alot of fun too, and actually had one or two pretty profound statements to make.Light years better than the first!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Stardust has a group of characters that definitely remind one of Princess Bride in a few spots as these guys are a bit of comic relief, otherwise the vibe is definitely in the vein of Lord Dunasay as his works, especially King of Elfland's Daughter, are a big inspiration for Gaiman.